How to choose an estate agent
If you're thinking of selling your property, make sure you choose an agent that can advertise your property on Rightmove.
Here are some great reasons why you should choose a Rightmove agent:
Only Rightmove can put you in the UK's biggest shop windowMore people use Rightmove to find their next home every month than any other property site. Being in front of the biggest audience of home-movers gives you the very best chance of finding the right buyer for you.
Buyers make more enquiries through RightmoveAgents that advertise with Rightmove receive more emails and phone calls from potential buyers than anywhere else they advertise. Enquiries are the key to viewings, offers, and a successful sale.
If your property is on Rightmove, it can be seen on PC, smartphone and tabletOur mobile websites and apps make Rightmove the number one destination for home-movers on smartphone, tablet and on PC. To find out more about using Rightmove on a mobile device, click here.
Rightmove agents can get your property seen first!In the race to find a buyer, speed matters. A Rightmove agent can have your property emailed to potential buyers within 90 minutes of you approving your property ad and visible on Rightmove even faster.
Why instruct an agent at all?
Put simply, selling a property is complicated and time-consuming. A good estate agent is there to act on your behalf throughout the selling process. It is the estate agent's local knowledge that allows them to help advise you on presenting, pricing and promoting your property correctly, as well as negotiating on your behalf and helping you through the tricky exchange and completion stages of the deal. It is also worth remembering that the only way to list your property on Rightmove is by using an estate agent!
More specifically, an estate agent can:
- Appraise your property and advise you on the asking price to market it at.
- Advise you on local market conditions and how your property compares with other similar properties already on the market - these properties are your competition!
- Advertise your property to a wide audience of potential buyers, including using some methods that are only available to estate agents - like Rightmove!
- Help you present your property so that it looks its best on a desktop and any mobile device using high quality photographs, detailed floor plans, creative property descriptions, brochures and even virtual tours.
- Help get your property seen first by home hunters through Rightmove property alerts - getting your listing sent direct to the inbox of potential buyers looking for property in your location matching your description.
- Promote your property to their database of registered potential buyers.
- Keep you updated through the process by providing you with regular, personalised performance reports.
Questions to ask your estate agent
Ultimately, you should choose the estate agent that you feel most comfortable dealing with and the one that you feel will look after your interests as a seller. However, here are some suggestions of things to ask an estate agent about:
- Ask how and where the estate agent will advertise your property - and make sure that your property will be advertised on Rightmove!
- Ask how your property compares with other similar properties currently on the market in terms of price and presentation.
- Ask to see examples of their success in selling properties like yours. You can then see how they have priced, promoted and presented other similar properties.
- You'll obviously be interested in the agent's fees for selling your property, but also ask about the length of any exclusivity period (i.e. a period of time during which you cannot market your property with another estate agent) and ensure you are clear on how to serve notice should you wish to.
- Ask about how often you can expect feedback from the estate agent whilst your property is on the market. A good agent should help you feel informed and in control throughout the process.
What should you do now?
Use Rightmove to find a Rightmove agent!The best way to find a Rightmove agent is to use our find an agent search above or use Rightmove's agent valuation tool to shortlist up to four local agents to give you free, no obligation valuation.
Register for instant property alertsInstant property alerts are the fastest way to find out about new properties added to Rightmove matching your criteria. They are the only way to find it first when looking to buy and a great way to keep an eye on the local competition when selling. Register now.
Download a Rightmove app to keep in touch with your local marketWhether you're an Apple, Android or Windows user, we've put everything you love about Rightmove in a free app for you. Choose the right app for you here.
Talk to your agent about standing out on RightmoveHaving chosen a Rightmove agent, ask your agent about making your property stand out from others on the market. A Premium Listing or Featured Property on Rightmove are great ways of creating more interest from potential buyers.
There are a number of professionally recognised bodies for estate and letting agents in the UK to protect consumers in the home-moving process. These bodies can help you access support should things go wrong, or give you peace of mind when choosing an agent.
Rightmove member estate agents
There are more than 12,500 estate agents on Rightmove advertising more than 800,000 properties for sale. The only way to advertise your property for sale on Rightmove and ensure you are seen by the UKs largest home moving audience is by using an estate agent.
If you have a property to let, find out why you should choose a Rightmove lettings agent here.