2 bedroom cottage for sale
Perigord Noir, Dordogne ,Perigueux ,France
like this property?Call: 03339 395592
En Dordogne, exceptionnel château à vendre à rénover. Ce château unique construit dans la période gothique flamboyant ne compte pas moins de 13 cheminées réparties sur 5 étages. Tous les éléments d'origine sont intacts avec notamment un escalier monumental en pierre et le bâtiment d'origine n'a pas été modifié depuis sa construction. Une vue exceptionnelle sur la campagne environnante. Un projet fantastique pour un passionné de l'histoire et de l'architecture. Bâtiment classé de manière à pouvoir obtenir des subventions gouvernementales disponibles. Petite maison habitable et une grange inclus dans la vente.
The chateau, built between 1500 and 1520 is a rare example of the highly ornamental architecture of the Flamboyant Gothic style. It is surrounded by its moat and one hectare of land. The chateau is entered through the stone steps that lead in to the octagonal tower containing an exceptional stone monumental staircase (five meter diameter) that serves all five floors and completes with a 'stone palm' at the top.
In the master rooms the stone monumental fireplaces breach the width of the rooms and are adorned with the Calvimont family coat of arms, as well as sculpted details. There are three main floors, each of 200m², as well as the cellar and a fortified and fireproofed room on the 4th floor that was used to store documents. Many of the windows contain stained glass. There are also two further round towers.
As part of the current renovations, a provisional roof has been installed to protect the chateau, which could be replaced by a traditional renaissance style slate roof, and the wooden floors reinstalled. State grants of up to 40% are available for the works, being that it is a listed building. Next to the chateau is a site that contained the original chapel and bread oven, where archaeological digs have unearthed treasures alluding its history. The chateau currently opens to the public part of the year (approx. 3000 visitors, revenue of 20,000€), hosted by the current owners, a historian and a restorer.
The fortified origins of the site of L'Herm (meaning 'hermitage') date back to the late 11th century. The chateau was built between 1500 and 1520 by Lord Jean de Calvimont, a prominent lawyer and advisor to the parliament in Bordeaux, and completed by his son, notably the interior details such as the wood panelling, door and window frames and tiling (mainly terracotta). The next family to own the chateau was the Hautefort family until 1805.
The chateau was listed under the 'Inventaire Supplémentaire des Monuments Historiques' in 1927.