4 bedroom country house for sale
Italy - Tuscany, Pistoia, Pistoia
like this property?Call: 03339 396142
- Historic building
The house is composed, at the GROUND FLOOR, by a large entrance hall with walk-in closet, a large living room with pool table, a dining room with antique fireplace and nice kitchen with Vietri ceramics, pantry / laundry room and access to the ancient cellars completely restored. At the FIRST FLOOR, large master bedroom with walk-in closet and private bathroom, two double bedrooms, bathroom, large hallway with beautiful studio loft.
The house is part of the farm Piombino Primo in San Felice, a village born along the road to the Apennines, a road historically important from the strategic and military point of view (since it connected quickly Pistoia and Bologna), starting from Piazza del Duomo and following the course of the river Ombrone until its spring.
It is an ancient route, dotted with watermills and olive mills, used by the Etruscans between the sixth and fifth centuries B.C., with the village of San Felice at the beginning of the valley, known over the centuries for its precious plantations, as evidenced by a document of 802 A.C. where a vineyard of S. Felice was sold for 180 pieces of silver, the price at that time of a house in Lucca.
San Felice takes its name by a hermit saint of the Lombard period, but it is historically known for the presence of the XVIII Century Villa Vivarelli Colonna (started by Andrea Vivarelli Colonna in 1759), a typical Tuscan Villa surrounded by farms and country houses, including the farm Piombino Primo.
The prestige of Vivarelli Colonna family derives from the ownership of factories of iron, paper and silk , even if it is said that the fortune of Andrea Colonna derives from a winning lottery that deprived the Grand Duke of Tuscany of much of its heritage. However Andrea Colonna gave up part of his winning, so the Grand Duke said gratefully "You are my Column", in fact the coat of arms of Vivarelli Colonna family is a column surmounted by seven stars and two crescents, one white and one black. The Florentine residence of Vivarelli Colonna was instead in Via delle Conce 28, currently owned by the City of Florence and opened to the public for visiting.
The manor house of Piombino Primo was the most important among the country houses surrounding the Castle of San Felice, being situated in a dominant position, the only one on that the side of the valley, set at the beginning of a nice walk appreciated by the Vivarelli Colonna as a refreshing spot and used as a stopover during the summer walks.
It is said that the marble plaque in front of the house bearing the inscription "1928 CT VI" was placed in memory of a visit of the Princes Colonna Torlonia in 1928.
- Pistoia 5, Vinci 25, Prato 20, Firenze 35, Lucca 40
- A11 3, Trains 5, Firenze Airport 30, Pisa Airport 65
- Hospital 4, Supermarket 1, Pub/Wine Bar 2, Theater 5, Golf 12, Drugstore 3, Gas Station 1
The original core settlement of Pistoia was built on a type of floodplain formed by sediment from the Ombrone stream. While it is true that this initial Roman oppidum was built to support the troops on the occasion of the Liguria Wars, there are also traces of earlier populations and ethnic groups in the area. Though it did not yet exist at the time of Hannibal's invasion during the Second Punic War, the town soon took on noteworthy importance, thanks to its position on the Via Cassia. After becoming a territorial district of the Byzantine Empire, the town fell to the Longobards, whose presence is still well documented by local place names. The Germanic domination gave way to that of the Franks, albeit peacefully, and a closed, self-sufficient type of economy became the norm for the town: feudalism arrived, with the Counts of the Guidi and Cadolingi families fighting over possession of Pistoia and the surrounding territory.
In the 12th century, a newfound wellbeing led the population to increase fourfold, and trade also grew. But Pistoia's good fortune irritated Florence, which tried to take advantage of large-scale political motives, such as points of conflict between the Papacy and the Holy Roman Empire, in order to openly challenge the enemy city, which was ultimately forced into subjugation by Florence. In 1348 the plague broke out in Pistoia, as it did in the rest of Europe as well, inflicting large demographic and economic losses, a situation that remained unchanged until the 17th century, when Giulio Rospigliosi, a native of Pistoia, was elected Pope under the name of Clement IX.
The city's definitive revival came under the Lorena family, and it became increasingly independent, to the point where, during the wars of Italian Unification, it dared to move against the Austrians. In the nineteen-twenties, when the fascist regime designated Pistoia as one of the new provincial seats, Mussolini chose the city because of its reputation of devotion to Italian unity and resistance against foreign occupiers.