31 bedroom character property for sale
France - Montpellier, Hérault
like this property?Call: 03339 395599
- Living space: 1700 m<sup>2</sup>;
- Plot size: 641942 m<sup>2</sup>;
- Convertible space: 1000 m<sup>2</sup>;
- Distance to shops: km
This exceptional Château is situated in the greater Montpellier area, in one of the most beautiful and naturally preserved landscapes of South France, located in a very historical area providing fantastic sightseeing opportunities. The Castle has been built on a Roman foundation in the 12th Century. Every dwelling of the Chateau is a magnificent place to stay; full of history, charm and character. The buildings are divided into a South and North wing and in the middle is a lovely courtyard with a fountain, olive trees, plenty of Mediterranean flowers as oleanders, lavender, roses etc. The 'parc à la française' with the box hedges is beautifully maintained and gives a very special ambiance to the overwhelming and unique place. Both wings of the Chateau have been rebuilt into 13 spacious and extravagant 1 to 3 bedroom apartments - each with open fireplace and separate terrace, some of them with roof-terrace and stunning views in a beautiful soft rolling landscape with cypress trees, pine, olives and vineyards. There are still about 1000m² to be developed, subject to planing permit, depending on the project of the future owner. There is as well a huge potential to develop a successful wine business since there were at the time up to 54ha in vineyards.
The Property is situated in calm and beautiful surroundings with breathtaking panoramic views over smooth rolling hills. The scenery is superb, the nature omnipresent, the peacefulness an evidence. The ensemble is unique, a property to fall in love with … and with possibility for good return on investment!
Witnesses of a long history
Still today one can find many incredible witnesses of the ancient glorious time such as remarkable and unique stone constructions for stairways, the gothic vaults, the historical built-in arches, vaults, and stone walls in the park wing. Spread over the magnificent area of the 64ha, there are a Roman wash-room, a Roman well, greenhouses that are built in and under naturally formed rocks and stones, a sun-temple from the Celtic era, a park with centuries old trees, rows of olive trees, vineyards, fields, sparkling springs, fruit orchards, some forest and plenty of " garrigue" the typical South France scrubland with wild rosemary, thyme etc. The initial church of the Chateau was rebuilt in the 18th and used in the 20th century as wine-storage. Now carefully restored by the present owners, the church serves as meeting place and platform for cultural events.
Detailed Description Of The Buildings
1) Château Southern wing
9 Apartments between 59m² and 156m², in total 900m² space.
2) Separate small house to the east with 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, in total 90m².
3) Château Northern wing
- 4 Apartments between 69m² and 145m², in total 450m² space.
- Restaurant with vaulted ceiling, about 120m², two toilets
- Fully equipped professional kitchen, with several ovens, fridges, sinks etc., appr.65m²
- Office with Internet access, W-Lan 25m²
- First and second floor levels are partially still to be restored. There are about 300m² left for further living space.
4) Charming detached Mas about 100m² including cellar, little garden and a small private swimming pool.
5) Hangar/Barn about 170m²
6) Church about 180m² partly restored, used as meeting place and for cultural events.
7) Poissonnerie 30m², extension is possible for a 1 bedroom apartment.
8) Cave/former winery about 570m².
9) There is a large heated infinity swimming pool with electric rolling shutter
10) Tennis court
11) Large parking area at short distance from the Castle but not in sight
The property includes a total of 64ha of land. There are the surroundings of the Castle with the park with centuries old trees and a 'jardin à la française' which is an area with box hedges, courtyards, the swimming pool with its terraces and many inspiring places to relax.
Further there are today about 2.5ha of vineyard but they are abandonned. At the time there were about 54ha of vineyards planted. Today it would be possible to replant the property and develop again a winebusiness, knowing that it is a 'terroire AOC', new AOP. When it was a working vineyard, they had their own label. There is a very good potential to develop a profitable wine business with a prestigious brand and label.
The remaining grounds are fields and meadows, a dirt track bordered with 150 olive trees, a fruit orchard, forest and plenty of 'garrigue' scrubland which was in the past mostly vineyards.
The water is supplied by the town; there are as well 2 springs, a watering system for the Castle surround and an own sewage purifying treatment.
The Southern and Northern wings of the Castle have been rebuilt during 2002 and 2003 to the highest standards with the knowledge to keep authenticity and charm. Every unit has its independent electricity meter, hot water tank and electric heating. The detached 2 houses have been refurbished in 2010.
In total today there are more then 1700m² restored. In the Northern wing are about 300m² still to be restored as well as the numerous outbuildings offer scope for further developments.
The property is sold fully furnished, from the Restaurant, the kitchen over all apartments and houses; just about 25 items are personnel and therefore not included.
A property to fall in love with, unique and not comparable!
DPE not applicable.
- Méditerranée (International), 4.6 miles
- Nîmes (Garons) (International), 28 miles
- Provence (International), 66.9 miles
- Perpignan (Rivesaltes) (International), 79.8 miles
- Carcassonne (International), 83.7 miles
*Distances are straight line measurements. This feature is currently in beta.