4 bedroom farm house for sale
Malta - Gozo
like this property?Call: 03339 397086
- Spa plunge pool
- Oil fired heating
The entrance hall has the old kileb and xorok (stone slabs) ceiling which pre-dates arched ceilings and leads past a downstairs bedroom and separate bathroom through a lateral office/sitting room into a large living room with arched ceiling around fifteen courses high. Behind this is the central hall and staircase and a good-sized fitted kitchen with granite surfaces.
Ascending the stairs there is a recently fitted bathroom and utility room at the half level. On the first floor there are two bedrooms, the master with en-suite shower room, the smaller with built-in wardrobes both with balconies overlooking the courtyard and spa plunge-pool.
The upper corridor opens onto a terrace which allows access to the roof terrace and stairs lead down to a fourth bedroom with separate shower room. Equipped with air-conditioning and a solid-fuel Deville fire making it a comfortable residence throughout the year.
Could also offer the possibility of bed and breakfast accommodation due to the separation of the bedrooms on different levels.
Xewkija, which is situated between Għajnsielem and the capital city, Victoria, is the oldest village in Gozo. It became the first parish outside Victoria on 27 November 1678. It was separated from the Matrix by Bishop Glormu Molina and Dun Grezz Farrugia from Valletta, became its first parish priest. It became the first district 'contrada' to be known as 'casale' or village.
The name is derived from the Maltese word "Xewk", meaning "thistles" or "thorns". Xewkija is famous for its church, The Rotunda of Xewkija, which is dedicated to St. John the Baptist. The dome, standing at 75m and a circumferance of 85m, is the world's third highest unsupported dome. The interior is decorated with fine sculpture and modern paintings. The floor is of polished Carrara marble. The Rotunda is the largest church in Gozo and one of Gozo's distinctive landmarks.
It is the Seat of the Sovereign Military Order of Malta, knowns also as the Knights of Malta, and was built from Maltese stone by local masons and craftsmen. It is the largest in Gozo and its dome dominates the village. Its architect was Joseph D'Amato. It replaced an older church. The titular statue of Saint John the Baptist was sculpted in wood by Pietro Paolo Azzopardi in 1845.
The foundation stone of the Rotunda was laid on 4 May 1952. The old church which was rebuilt at least twice, was left in place while the Rotunda was being built around it, allowing the local people to have a place of worship. The church was officially consecrated on 17 June 1978. The old church was then carefully dismantled and the best sculptures were saved and rebuilt in an adjacent building under the church belfry. It is now known as the Sculpture Museum. This museum accessible within the church, features the best "lacework" in Maltese stone as well as some important items of the old church, including the main altar with the old titular painting. Within the same museum, one can take an elevator to the dome, where one can go around the dome and enjoy spectacular panoramic views of Gozo and the Northern part of Malta.
On the site where the present church is, it was said that there was a stone known as 'Maqghad ix-Xih'. Near it there is a small ancient chapel known as Madonna tal-Hniena (Our Lady of Charity) which was dedicated to San Bartilimew. The tower of Santa Cecilja had been in the limits of Xewkija. There is another tower with the oldest sundial in Xewkija. Remains of Tinghi Tower disappeared in the last century. These towers date back to 1613. A 14th century tower used by the Grandmasters as a summer residence, the Tower of Gorgion, was demolished during the Second World War to make way for a temporary airport.
A marble slab of Majmuna with an Arabic inscription dating back to 1173 was found in Xewkija. It commemorates the death of an Arab girl named Sarah, who died in Xewkija. The inscription is carved in a thick marble slab, on the underside of which there is a pagan symbol. Brother Gabrijel D'Alappo translated it into Italian and it was later translated into Maltese. It was sent to the Public Library in Malta in 1845 and brought to the Gozo National Museum in 1960.
In and around the village centre there are a number of bars, restaurants, small market shops, a pharmacy and a bank.