Vicovaro Castle (a thirty minute drive from Rome), was the home of Princes and Popes since the Middle Ages. A lovely place, overlooking the village and lands (about 30 hectares that may be available by separate negotiation), it is of great historical value, with its gothic portals, renaissance windows, and ornate monumental structures. Within the ancient walls stands the Palace with its beautiful hanging gardens. Castle Vicovaro was built around 1260, when the entire village was turned into a quadrilateral fortress.It first belonged to the famous roman Orsini family and it served as a military fortress in order to prevent the troops of Charles of Anjou to transit along the Via Valeria below, creating a barrier, an impregnable stronghold.The ancient walls and the halls hosted various popes and kings_ in 1494 Pope Alexander V, King Alfonso II of Naples, the ambassadors of Florence and Venice agreed while staying at the Castle strategised a defensive plan against the invasion of Italy by Charles VIII of France and his army.In the end of '600, the Bolognetti family transformed the Castle into a Palace (designed by the famous architect Sebastiano Cipriani). There is a small open theater where the family attended performances and traveling shows.Vicovaro Castle with its 7000 square meters of living space, 3000 square meters of private park, Helipad and the possibility of creating a magnificent swimming pool, has the potential of being a wonderful private residence or a fantastic hotel.