6 bedroom country house for sale
Ireland - Naas, Kildare
like this property?Call: 03339 872062
- UNIQUE PROPERTY IN MUCH SOUGHT AFTER LOCATION
- C. 12,000 sq.ft. of generous living accommodation and 6,000 sq.ft. basement
- 3 Gate Lodges, Stable Block with 3 residences, Managers House, Grooms Cottage, Dairy Cottage
- Extensive farmyard comprising a variety of buildings mainly two storey with loose boxes
- c. 367 acres under winter corn and c. 187 acres in permanent pasture
COPY THE FOLLOWING LINK TO YOUR BROWSER TO VIEW IRISH TIMES EDITORIAL AND VIDEO - http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/new-to-market/kildare-estate-surrounded-by-stud-farms-for-25m-1.2782841
Resting majestically within a rich parkland overlooking the River Liffey, surrounded by beech, oak and lime trees, the period residence exudes an ambience of untouchable tranquillity from a bygone age.
Harristown is situated in the beautiful village of Brannockstown, 8 km from Naas, 3km from Kilcullen, 4km M9 on the R412, 35km south west of Dublin and its International Airport (43km). It is convenient to the Curragh - home of the Irish classics, Naas and Punchestown Racecourses. Irish National Stud is 10km. Hunting is available with the Kildares and South Counties. Fishing and boating on the River Liffey. Golf at the Curragh, K Club, Palmerstown Stud and Rathsallagh.
The Estate is approached from either the Carnalway Cross entrance or the Brannockstown entrance with winding avenues through mature parkland.
The house sits on a magnificent elevated setting overlooking the River Liffey and comprises c. 12,000 sq.ft. of generous living accommodation and a further c. 6,000 sq.ft. in basement currently used for storage but suitable for additional accommodation.
The Harristown Demesne comprises 750 acres within the Estate wall and includes a tremendous timber shelterbelt which protects the entire perimeter. Originally purchased by the La Touche Family in 1768 the spacious Georgian Mansion was erected by Whitmore Davis in an elevated position overlooking the River Liffey. The La Touches were Huguenots, expelled from France, who made their way to Ireland and moved into banking, weaving and politics. The partners of La Touche Bank were the original stockholders of the Bank of Ireland which opened for business in 1783. The old house was destroyed in 1891 and a smaller two storey house sits well in its place. The Diocesan Architect, James Franklin Fuller oversaw the restoration of the house at the same time he re-built the small St. Patricks Church of Ireland Church at the entrance to the Estate.
The omission of the third storey allows for an unusual amount of light into the house through a cleverly constructed lantern light. Thus the move from the airy and bright downstairs rooms is complimented by a rush of light from the upstairs hallway. Another interesting feature is the tunnel that runs underground for some 80 metres from the stableyard into the basement.
The house now comprises a 9 bay entrance front with 3 bay pedimented breakfront centre with 3 windows grouped together under a wide relieving arch containing The La Touche
Coat of Arms and Swags. The single storey Ionic portico is a feature, the outside columns being coupled. Five bay side with triple windows in centre, there are curved bows to the rear.
The second generation of La Touches in Ireland included John who built Harristown and his descendants occupied the house until 1921. They were people of integrity and the history of the area endorses this.
The Estate was bought in 1946 by Michael & Doreen Beaumont who set about restoring Harristown and they completely renovated the house. They installed furniture and pictures from their former home Wotton in Buckinghamshire which along with Stowe was the country seat of the Duke of Buckinghamshire.
The Beaumonts also brought with them magnificent Carrara marble fireplaces and mahogany doors from Wotton which are part of the ground floor rooms. On the ground floor the ceilings stand 18 feet high and the front hall is a magnificent double room off which open the three main reception rooms, the library, drawingroom and diningroom.
Single storey ionic portico 30' x 10'5" Leading to:
Front Hall 32' x 24' Which is a magnificent double room with ornate parquet flooring, original cornicing and open fire with carved oak mantlepiece, wood burning stove.
Diningroom 32' x 17' With Carrara marble mantelpiece, open fire, twin recess display cases, simple cornice with mahogany doors exiting to both main hall and the back hall.
Library 30'5" x 17' Exquisite room with ornate cornice, range of fitted bookshelves, ornate fireplace with wood
burning stove, mahogany doors leading to both main hall and the drawingroom
Drawingroom 38'5" x 26'5" With exceptional views of the River Liffey eastwards to the terrace, Carrara marble fireplace, original cornice, recessed twin display areas.
Chinese Room 28' x 21' With ornate Italian Carrara marble open fireplaceand bow shaped with views over the River and terrace. 17th Century Chinese wallpaper hand painted on silk bought in Sotherbys in 1943.
Back Hall 18'6" x 13'5" With door leading to terrace and garden, range of storage cupboards.
Large Country Kitchen 29' x 22'5" Bow fronted overlooking the terrace and river, oak floor with 4 oven Aga,
fitted cupboards, electric cooker, gas hob and hatch to diningroom and hall Service Hall Leading to staircase with oak stairs with iron staircase and oak banister.
The Italian Carrara Marble Fireplaces and mahogany doors are from Wotton, a house whose interiors were designed by Sir John Soane for the Duke of Buckingham.
Magnificent Landing With shelved library and pine storage cupboards mainly oak with pine.
Chinese Bedroom 17' x 17' With marble fireplace, door to dressing room (17' x 12'), w.h.b., fireplace, range of wardrobes (Master) and French Empire Pelmets.
Bedroom 2 26' x 10'4" With marble fireplace, door to dressing room (26' x 8')
Bedroom 3 20' x 17' With magnificent Carrara Italian marble fireplace with 3 micro mosaic insets, Greek theme.
Ensuite 17' x 10'5" With separate walk-in wardrobe
Bathroom Bath, w.c., w.h.b., bidet and shower
Bedroom 4 26' x 17' With oak panelling taken from Tudor house in England open fireplace
Ensuite bathroom 11' x 9' Bath, shower, w.c., w.h.b.
Bedroom 5 27' x 20' Bow fronted overlooking the River Liffey with marble fireplace, w.h.b
Bathroom 13'5" x 10' Bath, w.c., w.h.b.
Bedroom 6 10'5" x 9'
ATTIC FLOOR: 3 rooms currently used for storage
BASEMENT: Comprises a range of storage rooms including boiler house, workshop, wine-cellar, old kitchens, various stores.
Carnalway Lodge: (Vacant and in moderate repair)
A single storey Georgian gate lodge located at the front entrance on Carnalway Cross. The internal area is approx. 925 sq.ft. and comprises 3 bedrooms and a bathroom.
Brannockstown Gate Lodge:
A single storey Victorian gate lodge situated at the Brannockstown entrance possibly built by John McCurdy. The internal area is approx. 1,000 sq.ft. and comprises 3 bedrooms, a kitchen and a bathroom.
Harristown Station Lodge:
A single storey Victorian gate lodge situated on the road to Ballymore Eustace. The internal area is approx. 1,000 sq.ft. and comprises 4 rooms, kitchen and bathroom.
The Stable Block:
The two storey stable block is nearly 13,000 sq.ft. in total. The residential element has an internal area of 4,300 sq.ft. and is made up of 3 units:
1. Stableyard House: The internal area is approx. 1,000 sq.ft. It comprises 4 rooms, kitchen, bathroom and a separate toilet.
2. Cooper's Cottage: comprises 4 rooms, kitchen and bathroom.
3. Third Cottage: comprises 2 small rooms and a toilet in poor repair.
A substantial two storey 1940's brick building with an internal area of 2,000 sq.ft. It comprises 5 rooms, kitchen and bathroom.
A 1950's two storey house of approx. 1,200 sq.ft. comprising 3 rooms, kitchen and
Georgian detached house of approx. 1,850 sq.ft. comprising 6 rooms, kitchen and bathroom.
Apart from the residential accommodation outlined above the stableyard has 12 loose
boxes and a substantial 3 port garage beneath a hay loft.
The extensive farmyard comprises a variety of buildings mainly two storey with loose boxes and utility units on the ground floor and accommodation on the first floor. It is mostly slated and rendered and is reasonably good condition (subject to further inspection).
The lands in all contain approximately 750 acres mostly classified under the Elton Series in the Soils of Co. Kildare and includes mainly shelter belts around the perimeter of the farm.
Approximately 367 acres are under winter corn and the remaining lands c. 187 acres are in permanent pasture.
The Elton Series:
This series occupies over 20% of the County and is therefore one of the largest and mostly distributed series in the County. They are derived from dominantly limestone drift with a small admixture of shale and sandstone.
These soils have a wide use range being suitable for the production of a wide range of farm and vegetable crops. A large portion of the soils carry permanent pasture and a high concentration of stud farms are found particularly in the central and eastern part of the County. Owing to their depth, free drainage, medium texture and good moisture holding capacity, these are first class grassland soils. When adequately limed, fertilised and managed, very high levels of production can be obtained. The grassland can be grazed over
a long season but controlled grazing is necessary to prevent poaching and to obtain maximum utilisation. Although these soils are more noted for grass production they are also very good tillage soils and good yields of wheat, oats, feeding barley, potato, sugar beet, Swedes and mangles can be obtained.
• Close to the Curragh, Naas and Punchestown Racecourses.
• Goffs International Bloodstock Sales nearby (12km).
• Kildare is a famous location for some of the World's top stud farms including the Irish National Stud, Gilltown & Sallymount Studs (adjoining), Ardenode and Ragusa Studs, Kildangan Stud, Moyglare Stud, Derrinstown Stud.
• Kildare is also home to some of the finest racehorse training establishments in the World.
• The Kildare foxhounds are kennelled on the grounds of Punchestown Racecourse nearby.
• The Estate lends itself to a private shoot. There are also a number of private and syndicate shoots in Co. Kildare, Co. Wicklow and Co. Meath.
• There is ample fishing on the River Liffey which runs through the Estate, with stocks of salmon and trout.
In all the land comprises approximately 750 acres. The River Liffey meanders through the farm with extensive frontage on both banks and provides excellent salmon and trouting fishing.
The farm has extensive road frontage with several independent entrance gates around the estate. The famous La Touche Cup Cross Country race at the annual Punchestown Festival is named in honour of the La Touche Family who originally built Harristown Houes in 1768 and lived there for over 150 years.
FIXTURES & FITTINGS:
All items usually known as fixtures and fittings whether mentioned or not, in these particulars, are excluded from the sale, but some may be available by separate negotiation. Such items include, all carpets and curtains, light fittings, domestic electrical items and
Mains & private water.
More information from this agent
- Dublin (International), 22.2 miles
- Waterford (International), 73.7 miles
- Galway (International), 94.3 miles
*Distances are straight line measurements. This feature is currently in beta.