8 bedroom detached house for saleDowdeswell Court, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire GL54 4LX
Guide Price £7,900,000
- 6 Reception Rooms
- 8 Bedrooms
- Orangery, Cellar
- Ancillary Accommodation
- Formal Gardens
This Grade II listed mansion is ideally located just outside the Regency spa town of Cheltenham, with far reaching views across the Dowdeswell valley to the rolling Malvern Hills beyond. Set in the heart of Lower Dowdeswell village, referenced in the Doomsday Book of 1086, Dowdeswell Court lies south west of the attractive town of Stow-on-the-Wold and only 18.2 miles from the old Roman town of Cirencester, known as the 'capital of the Cotswolds'. All offer excellent shopping and recreational facilities in addition to the good local shopping to be found in Dowdeswell.
- Mainline Rail Services: Cheltenham Spa Station (5.3 miles) offers direct First Great Western service to London Paddington from 125 minutes. Kemble Station (23.6 miles away) offers a faster route to London Paddington (from 70 minutes) with the same provider. - Comprehensive Shopping:
Cheltenham, Cirencester and Oxford. - Schools: Good local schools are numerous and include the
Cheltenham Colleges, Westonbirt School, Hatherop Castle, Kitebrook and those in Oxford. - Leisure Facilities: Racing at Cheltenham, Stratford Upon Avon and Warwick; polo at Cirencester Park and Kirtlington; golf at Brailes, Tadmarton, Broadway and Lyneham. - The A40 and M40 provide east/west access to London, Cheltenham and the M5. The nearby Fosse Way gives excellent north/south access. Heathrow Airport can be reached in approximately 82 miles.
Dowdeswell Court was originally part of the Dowdeswell Estate, which was acquired by the Rogers family in 1582. Centuries later, in 1833, and still owned by the same family, the main house required
such extensive repair that the only feasible solution was to build an entirely new property on the original sight. Some parts of the original building have been retained in the cellars, including a wonderful, vaulted, medieval-style Banqueting Hall that lies on the lower ground level, under the current driveway. It is thought that the rebuilding was conducted between 1833-7, designed by a well-respected architect, Charles Paul of Cheltenham. However, it is believed that the head mason, Thomas Denley, drastically altered his plans during the actual building of the property and the end result was a three-storey block with projecting wings forming a south facing courtyard. Although this was to a similar plan as the previous house, architecturally, it was radically different. Charles Paul is thought to have introduced the bold Corinthian order, with matching cornice, to the front elevation of the building that still stands today. It is thought this addition was an attempt to emulate
nearby 18th century house such as Sandywell Park or Cowley Manor. The interior of Dowdeswell Court was more in keeping with its 1830s rebuild date and there are a number of grand rooms that are very similar to other, distinguished 19th century houses. In 1848, the Entrance Hall was remodelled to the design of a Samuel Onley. In the 1900s Dowdeswell Court was finally sold by the then Coxwell-Rogers family and it changed hands again in the 1920s, when it was bought by Colonel Henry Blagrove. It is purported that Blagrove decided to reduce the size of the house by removing the top floor, which had mainly been used as servants' quarters. This ingenious alteration has not only made the house a manageable size, but lends it considerably more stature, with a grand and slightly oversized entrance colonnade. Dowdeswell Court is perfectly positioned with the estate nestling into the side of a hill, commanding uninterrupted views across the valley. Surrounded by mature trees and pasture, the main house offers wellproportioned family accommodation with exceptional entertaining space. The entire property has been painstakingly restored to its
former glory and retains all its original features including exceptional pillars and cornicing. It has been fitted with classical yet contemporary, and extremely high quality, kitchens and bathrooms.
Over 2,000m of reclaimed oak have been used in the refurbishment of this historic country house and well over 300 tins of Farrow and Ball paint. 60% of the cornicing has been restored and the entire house has been rewired. There is also a new heating system in place. The property is approached through electric entrance gates set on ashlar that form the north entrance to Dowdeswell Court. The sweeping driveway curves round to the right before leading directly
to the front of the house with ample space for parking and turning. Further details of the accommodation are as follows (please see floor plans for measurements):
Magnificent, studded oak double doors lead in to the spacious, pillared Reception Hall off which all the main reception rooms are situated. The Morning Room/Drawing Room, with a winged pediment forming part of the architrave, lies to the left of the front door and was actually the original Ballroom. It enjoys a triple aspect with two windows overlooking the approach to the property. There are wide oak floorboards and a dominating stone-carved fireplace with marble hearth to the far end. Directly opposite the main entrance door lies the Dining Room. It has an impressive, original marble fireplace to one end and a hand made, pediment tipped bookcase with shelving and cupboards under. The Dining Room offers comfortable seating for fourteen. The Office/Sitting Room is located straight ahead. The Laundry Room is next door with space and plumbing for a washing machine and tumble dryer. It also features a butler's sink and ample storage cupboards. A secondary Cloakroom is situated under the back staircase and beyond lies the Study complete with fitted bookcases and additional shelving. A discrete lift is positioned near the main staircase to the
left corner of the Entrance Hall. From the main Entrance Hall, a wood panelled archway rises over the main staircase that leads to the first floor.
The original staircase, with polished mahogany handrail and white wrought iron balustrade, leads to
the upper storey of the house. Each bedroom on this floor is wired for plasma screens. The Master Bedroom Suite is the height of luxury with Dressing Room 1 to the left and an Ensuite Bathroom directly opposite. The Bathroom boasts a raised, double power shower with marble, plug less flooring encased within frameless glass. A modern roll top bath takes pride of place below the window. It is 1.5 times as wide as a traditional roll top. There are double Philippe Starke sinks surrounded by Calcutta ora marble. The Master Bedroom boasts a seven foot wide bed with a large,
suede, brick effect 'headboard' - the back of which forms Dressing Room 2 with fitted cupboards and shelving as well as a discrete Dressing Area. There is a marble fireplace to one end of the room and a double aspect. There are a further 5 Bedroom Suites, all with their own individual characters and interiors. There are 3 further Bedrooms with 1 separate Bathroom and 1 Shower Room.
LOWER GROUND FLOOR
Approached from the Bootroom the ground floor Orangery is a wonderful addition to the house,
beautifully lit with flagstone flooring throughout. The area is an ideal entertaining space complete with a functioning Kitchen fitted out to the exacting standard found throughout the house. The Cellar has been completed and is now temperature controlled with contemporary lighting. A large Entertainment Room could be converted to a swimming pool if required and includes three additional cloakrooms, a changing room and a service lift.
This has been beautifully converted into three self contained staff apartments. Decorated to a very high standard, with marble finishes to both Kitchens and luxurious Bathrooms.
This is of modern construction and located to the rear of the main house, near the back drive. It contains two double Bedrooms, Bathroom and Kitchen/Living Room.
From the M40 motorway, exit at Junction 8, following signs to Oxford. Take the A40 west bound towards Cheltenham. At the Headington Roundabout take the fourth exit, signposted 'Ring Road, The Midlands'. Continue along the A40 following all signs to Cheltenham. Approximately one mile after Andoversford, turn left, signposted 'Dowdeswell'. Follow the road up the hill for less than a mile and immediately after the Church, turn right in to Dowdeswell Court. GL54 4LX.
Map & Street View
Street View is unavailable in this location
Disclaimer - Property reference 215977. The information displayed about this property comprises a property advertisement. Rightmove.co.uk makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the advertisement or any linked or associated information, and Rightmove has no control over the content. This property advertisement does not constitute property particulars. The information is provided and maintained by Savills, Country Department. Please contact the selling agent or developer directly to obtain any information which may be available under the terms of The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007 or the Home Report if in relation to a residential property in Scotland.
* This is the maximum possible speed. Broadband speed may be lower at peak times and can be affected by a range of technical and environmental factors. The speed you receive where you live may be lower than that listed above. Fibre/cable services at your postcode are subject to availability. You can confirm availability on the provider's website. The information is provided and maintained by comparethemarket.com
Map data ©OpenStreetMap contributors.