This property has been removed by the agent.It may be sold or temporarily removed from the market View similar properties
7 bedroom detached house for sale
Maidenhead, Berkshire SL6 1TR
- 7 bedrooms
- 4 reception rooms
- 4 bathrooms (3 en suite)
- Double garage, outdoor pool
- River frontage & mooring
Chauntry Road is situated in a highly regarded and desirable road, on the outskirts of the picturesque village of Bray and is within easy reach of Maidenhead town centre with its excellent range of shopping facilities, leisure centre and multi-screen cinema. As such, it is admirably situated for the local amenities and easy road and rail communications. There are mainline rail services to London (Paddington) from both Maidenhead and Taplow; the M4 (junction 8/9) offers easy road links with the M25, Heathrow Airport, Central London and the West Country. The M40 may be accessed via the Marlow-by-Pass (A404M) at Maidenhead Thicket.
Sporting and leisure facilities in the area are varied and include the David Lloyd Centre and Magnet Leisure Centre in Maidenhead; tennis at Maidenhead, Bisham and Windsor; golf at Maidenhead, Temple, Marlow, Cookham and Henley; flying at White Waltham; horse racing at Windsor, Ascot and Newbury; polo and riding in Windsor Great Park; boating and sailing on the River Thames, Bray Lake and at nearby Henley, home to the renowned Henley Regatta. The world renowned, award winning restaurants, The Fat Duck and Waterside Inn, are located around a mile away in Bray village.
Good schools in the area include Sir William Borlase Grammar, Burnham Grammar, Windsor Boys, RGS High Wycombe, St. Nicholas C of E primary school, St. Piran's, Claires Court, Brigidine, Upton House and St. George's Ascot.
During the latter part of the 19th century, Mrs Annie Smith lived in The Fishery and owned osier beds on the river below Maidenhead Bridge; she owned land right down to the cricket club but later sold it before moving away; after which, the Fisheries Estate was developed.
The Fishery is a fine example of a period property with later skilful and sympathetic additions, combining to create a substantial and elegant family home. The house enjoys a glorious riverside setting, just down river of Brunel's Sounding Arches, carrying the GWR over the River Thames, and offers a rare opportunity for those seeking a home of immense character and charm. It has been beautifully refurbished by the present owners and successfully combines many period features with the luxuries of modern day living to create a truly stunning home. The accommodation is light and gracious with high ceilings, as expected in a property of this style, and is equally suited to family life and formal entertaining.
Internally, the house is rich in original and attractive features and offers flexible and generously proportioned accommodation arranged over three floors. The key features are:
- A circular reception hall, the shape of which is echoed in the dining room, with a marble tiled floor and two sets of double doors opening out to the gardens.
- A bright and gracious sitting room boasting a magnificent period fireplace, a bay window with built-in seating, parquet flooring and stairs with ornate brass and copper balustrading, leading up to a galleried area.
- An elegant drawing room, again with an impressive period fireplace, fitted bookshelves and cupboards, decorative wall panelling and a bay window with French doors opening out to the riverside gardens.
- A remarkable circular dining room with decorative domed ceiling and floor-to-ceiling arched windows that take full advantage of the view over the River Thames.
- A kitchen/breakfast room fitted with country style units, a central island, integral appliances and an Aga.
- Good sized study with sliding doors opening out to a courtyard.
- A bright and spacious master bedroom featuring a motorised 'hideaway' television unit and benefiting from direct access to a riverside balcony and an en suite shower room.
- 2 further bedrooms (one with en suite bathroom) on the first floor
- 4 further bedrooms (one with en suite shower room) and a family bathroom on the second floor
The property is set well back from the road and as such, enjoys a high degree of seclusion and privacy. Double wrought iron gates open onto a long block-paved driveway that provides access to the house and double garage and culminates in a large parking area with a turning circle. Situated beyond the garaging is an enclosed vegetable garden, a greenhouse, a useful gardener's WC, a machinery/store and potting shed. A secondary entrance to the house opens into the kitchen/breakfast room and there is a small courtyard area which may be also be reached from the study or utility room.
The beautifully maintained riverside gardens provide an outstanding setting for the property and include approximately 150 ft. of direct river frontage with about 80 ft. mooring. Situated at the side of the house is a large paved terrace with inset swimming pool, enhanced by flower borders containing clipped 'buxus' ball hedges. Steps lead down to the manicured lawns on each side and which extend down to the river where double gates, inset into wrought iron railings, provide access to the private mooring.
Reception hall, drawing room, dining room, galleried sitting room, study, kitchen/breakfast room, utility room, cloakroom, master bedroom with en suite shower room and riverside balcony, 6 further bedrooms (2 en suite), family bathroom, double garage, outdoor swimming pool, pump room/changing room, riverside gardens with approximately 150' river frontage including 80' mooring.
Exit the M4 motorway (J8/9) and follow the signs for Maidenhead. At the Braywick roundabout, take the third exit signposted A308 Windsor and after approximately half a mile, turn left on the B3028 towards Bray. Proceed into the heart of the village, passing the Crown Public House on your left. The road bears round to the left and then to the right, passing the cricket ground on the right. Continue along this road which bears to the right and becomes Oldfield Road (B3028). Chauntry Road is the next turning on the right: follow the road round and The Fishery will be found on the left hand side.