This property has been removed by the agent.It may be sold or temporarily removed from the market View similar properties
3 bedroom semi-detached house for sale
Bodriggy House, Hayle, Cornwall, Hayle, Cornwall
- Historic Grade II* Listed
- 3 reception rooms
- 3 double bedrooms
- Separate 2 bedroom cottage
- Beautifully presented
Hayle, created from part of Phillack parish in 1888, is a small yet thriving market town located on the north coast of Cornwall, about four miles from St. Ives, of which port it is a member. It is one of only the few sheltered estuaries on Cornwall's north coast and, as such, has been a port from an very early date. The boom time for the harbour and the effective true birth of the town came in the first half of the nineteenth century. By 1850 the town of Hayle had become synonymous with
mining related industries, such as tin and copper smelting, the foundaries of Copperhouse and, above all, Harvey's. Today there is not much left of the great Carnshaw foundry of Harvey & Co, but during itstime it was certainly one of the most important in Cornwall employing in the region of 1000 men.
The upper reaches of the estuary are now an RSPB Nature Reserve, and the winter home often to thousands of migrants, from Widgeon to Teal and Curlew. Little Egret are also resident and on occasions it may be possible to see some of these small white herons. Hayle also has one of Cornwall's finest beaches; popular with visitors are Hayle Towans and Gwithian Towans, with lifeguards on duty during the holiday season. There are pleasant walks around the Hayle Basin including the King George V Memorial Walk and around the Millpool.
The property is well placed for access to the amenities of the town which offers a very good range of day-to-day facilities, including a selection of shops, supermarket and primary and secondary schools. The recent addition of a retail park on the outskirts has brought national brand shops including Next, Marks & Spencers and Boots to the town. Hayle offers excellent communications to the rest of Cornwall with the main line railway (Penzance to Paddington line), at St Erth being only 2 miles away. The A30 trunk road provides ease of access throughout the county. Penzance lies approximately 7 miles away and the Cathedral City of Truro is approximately 20 miles away.
Bodriggy house has a long and interesting history, where a residence on the site is believed to date back to 1181. William De Bodriggi was the originator of the property and it remained in his family line up untill1522. The property then passed to the Coswyn family for a further 248 years, with the original house being extensively rebuilt in 1718 before the Curnows purchased it in 1770. The family eventually sold to the Ellis family in 1932.
Bodriggy House is the larger section of a stunning Grade II* Listed residence that enjoys host of beautiful features throughout. Originally one substantial residence, the house was divided into two parts when an owner passed it to two of his siblings. Bodriggy House has retained a larger portion of the faĆ§ade and the original front entrance door, the entrance hall and the beautiful sweeping staircase, complete with plaster cherub gazing down from the ceiling above the staircase. The house has exceptionally spacious room sizes with high ceilings.
The current vendor has tastefully updated the accommodation and emphasised the many beautiful features throughout. The front reception rooms of the large study and the sitting room enjoy views over the gardens to the front. The kitchen-dining room enjoys the welcoming and warming feature of a recently fitted Aga. The historic ''cooks room'' is now an en suite and bedroom situated above the kitchen, which is accessed via a second staircase from the dining room. The first floor has two lovely bedrooms with exceptionally high ceilings overlooking the garden below and served by a beautiful bathroom complete with fireplace.
There is a utility that provides access to the enclosed courtyard complete with its useful outbuildings and the deceptively spacious cottage.
Gardens and Grounds
Wrought iron gates lead into an attractive courtyard with an arch leading along a slate path to the front of the house. There is a private lawn offering a good degree of privacy leading to a timber
garage with separate access from the lane beyond.
Travel on the A30 to Hayle and follow into the town. Continue to the Copperhouse Inn and turn left. Follow to the top of the hill and turn right. The property will be found after a short distance on the righthand side.