This property has been removed by the agent.It may be sold or temporarily removed from the market View similar properties
7 bedroom house for sale
Berriew, Welshpool, Powys
Tenure: Freehold4 Reception Rooms. Kitchen. Breakfast Room. Cellars. 5 Bedrooms. 3 Bathrooms. Dressing Room. One Bedroom Flat. Two Bedroom Guest Wing. 2 Cottages. 10,000 sq ft Office Accommodation. Sheep Buildings. Garden. Lake. Parkland. Single Bank Fishing. EPC Main House : F
Situation: Glansevern Hall is approached by a drive running through an avenue of sweet chestnut trees behind a high stone wall.
*The Office Buildings and Gardens provide an additional income*
Understood to be unique as a private residence wholly conceived and erected by renowned architect Joseph Bromfield, Glansevern Hall is a fine example of early neo-classical design, built between 1801 and 1807 for the Owen family.
The main southern façade, finished in Cefn stone is five bays, the central three being highlighted by four giant Ionic pilasters and a central porch. The west and east fronts have five bays, the east has a central full height bow. The three main reception rooms, the Chinese room, the drawing room and dining room/library, all have a range of fittings from the original build. These include panelling, fireplaces, screens, floorboards and a fireplace over-mantel. Many of these items were not new at the time but reused from other property owned or controlled by the Owen family. All reception rooms can be accessed from the central hall and all rooms have a connecting door to the adjoining room.
As used today, the accommodation on the ground floor in addition to the three main reception rooms and hall include a day room, breakfast room, kitchen, utility and separate WC. There are cellars below.
The first floor has four principal bedrooms, the fifth on a second floor. The main suite includes a bedroom, dressing room and bathroom. There are two further bathrooms and a laundry room on the first floor. To the rear of the house and connecting at first floor level is a one bedroom flat on one side and a two bedroom guest wing with kitchen, sitting room and bathroom on the other.
Cottages and Stable Yard Buildings
The Garden House is a two bedroom cottage located in the rear courtyard and let on an assured shorthold tenancy. The Hayloft is similarly let on an assured shorthold tenancy and is a two bedroom cottage at the back of the stable yard.
The stable yard outbuildings are traditional brick buildings which have been converted for office use, in total about 10,000 sq ft. About 3,000 sq ft is in hand being used as the tea rooms and ticket office. The remaining 7,000 sq ft is let on four commercial leases.
The cottages and outbuildings generate an income of approximately £55,000 per annum
The gardens are understood to have been designed in 1805 and reputed to have been ‘magnificent’ in their day and suffered neglect from 1939 to 1982. Since 1982 full scale renovation of the gardens has been undertaken. There is a wide range of unusual tree species with fine specimens both mature and more recently planted. Features of the original garden such as the walled kitchen garden remain. The massive rock garden, with its grotto, came a little later as did the 4-acre lake whose feeder stream runs through a large water garden.
A fine orangery faces south from the walled garden. Other borders and features seen today have been the inspiration of the current owners since 1982. The gardens are currently open to the public attracting approximately 6,000 people a year. They are open on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays between May and the end of September.
The parkland surrounding the house and gardens steps naturally down over terraces to the River Severn. Now farmed for sheep, the parkland is sub divided into 11 fields having an array of mature trees within them, including a line of mature limes by the River Severn. There is a range of sheep buildings at the back of the stable yard. The park is listed as an historic parkland with Cadw.
Directions: From the M54, proceed west towards Shrewsbury on the A5. Stay on the A5 around Shrewsbury and then take the A458 to Welshpool.
From Chester, take the A458 south to Wrexham, Oswestry then Welshpool. From Welshpool, proceed south on A458 towards Newtown and after 4 miles just after Berriew you cross the river Rhiw and the entrance to Glansevern is 400 yards on the left hand side.Acreage:105.6