This property has been removed by the agent.It may be sold or temporarily removed from the market View similar properties
5 bedroom house for sale
High Street, Newick, Nr. Lewes, East Sussex BN8 4LG
- Grade II listed C18th cottage
- Central village location
- 4 reception rooms & study
- 5 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms
- About a third of an acre
Marbles is situated in the centre of the village of Newick; adjacent to the Village Green and only a short distance from the 11th Century church and playing ground.
Local Shopping: Newick has a thriving village community and provides a number of facilities and amenities, including a pharmacy, butcher, bakery, post office, three public houses, restaurants and a health centre.
Comprehensive Shopping: Haywards Heath approximately 6Â½ miles, Lewes approximately 7Â½ miles, Brighton approximately 17 miles, Uckfield approximately 5 miles. All offering an extensive range of shops and further facilities.
Communications: The major surrounding areas can be accessed via the A272 linking with the A22 to the east and A275/A23/M23 to the west, providing access to the M25, London and the suburbs, the south coast and Gatwick & Heathrow airports.
Mainline Rail Services: Haywards Heath provides a fast and frequent commuter train service to London Bridge/Victoria (from 42 minutes) and Brighton. www.southernrailway.co.uk
Schools: There is a wide range of highly regarded schools and colleges to choose from in the nearby villages and towns, including Newick Primary School, Chailey Secondary School, Cumnor House, Great Walstead, Burgess Hill School for Girls and Lewes Grammar.
Marbles is a very pretty period property, originally three cottages dating from the 1750s and listed Grade II - 'of special architectural or historic interest'. The property has recently been the subject of careful and sympathetic refurbishment by the current owners, resulting in a beautifully appointed home; retaining a number of character features with all the comfort of modern fixtures and fittings. Points of note include a wealth of exposed timbers, original wooden framed windows, a bespoke, handmade kitchen and modern bathroom suites with Fired Earth tiling.
The characterful accommodation is arranged over two floors:
- The front door opens to the reception hall/music room, which has oak flooring and a feature fireplace with carved wooden surround.
- Double aspect drawing room, with oak floor and French doors opening to the rear garden. Handsome inglenook fireplace with inset woodburning stove. Turned staircase rising to the first floor, with under stair access to the cellar.
- Lying off the drawing room is a cosy sitting room with fitted bookshelving and one of three original front doors. Adjoining study.
- Dining room with oak floor, brick fireplace with marble surround and the third of the three original front doors. A door opens from the dining room to the inner hall, from where the secondary staircase rises to the first floor.
- Beyond the hall and dining room are the kitchen and separate breakfast room. The kitchen is superbly appointed with a range of bespoke, handmade units and central island, complemented by granite worktops, an inset double butler sink and tiled floor. Two oven oil-fired Rayburn range oven, additional Gourmet oven, integrated Bosch dishwasher and space for a fridge/freezer. A stable door opens to the rear garden and there is access to a cloakroom with WC.
- There are two staircases rising to the first floor landing, off which lie the five bedrooms.
- Generous master bedroom and en suite bathroom with tiled floor, part tiled walls and white suite comprising a bath with wall mounted shower over, pedestal basin and WC.
- There are four further bedrooms, all with built in storage cupboards. One of the bedrooms has a pretty cast iron feature fireplace and a large, eaves storage cupboard.
- Spacious family bathroom with wooden floor, part tiled walls and suite including a freestanding, roll top bath and separate shower cubicle. Airing cupboard housing a MegaFlow hot water tank.
Marbles is approached via a brick pathway, which leads to a pretty vaulted porch and front door. The path is flanked by well-tended lawn, bounded to the front by wrought iron railings with a central gate. To the north western side of the house is a driveway and parking area, which in turn leads to the detached double garage. The garage has an electrically operated up and over door and rafter storage space.
There is a gated pedestrian access to the south facing rear garden, which is predominately laid to lawn, well enclosed by mature hedging and trees and with a brick paved terrace lying adjacent to the rear of the house.
In all, about 0.34 of an acre.
Two neighbours have a right of way over the driveway belonging to Marbles.
From Haywards Heath proceed east on the A272 through Scaynes Hill and North Chailey. In Newick, continue on this road into the village centre, passing the Village Hall on the right hand side. Marbles can be found on the right, the second to last house before reaching the Village Green.