5 bedroom detached house for salePlumpton, Lewes, East Sussex, BN7 3AJ
- Peaceful rural location
- In South Downs National Park
- 6 receptions
- 5 bedrooms
- Gym, steam room, sauna
- Swimming pool
- Tennis court
- 6 paddocks, chalk stream
- In total about 18.69 acres
Drews Farm is situated in a secluded position about half a mile north of Plumpton, in the South Downs National Park. Local shopping facilities can be found in Plumpton Green, including a village shop and several pubs. Lewes (5.5 miles) and the city of Brighton & Hove (about 9 miles) provide further extensive shopping, eating and cultural facilities.
The area is well served for sporting and recreational facilities with golf at Mid Sussex, Pyecombe and Lewes. Racing at Plumpton, Lingfield and Goodwood; sailing along the South Coast with marina facilities in Brighton and Newhaven. Theatre is available in Brighton and opera at internationally renowned Glyndebourne.
Rail services: Plumpton station is about a mile to the north of Drews Farm (London Bridge and London Victoria from 59 minutes). Further services to London and the South East are available at Hassocks, Lewes and Haywards Heath. A fast service (journey time 30 minutes) to London Victoria runs from Gatwick Station, about 23 miles distant.
Communications: By road, the A23 is about 6.5 miles to the west and connects to the M23 giving access to Gatwick Airport (about 20 miles) and junction 7 of the M25 (about 27 miles).
Schools: There are many highly regarded state and private schools in the local area, including Cumnor House School, Ardingly, Hurstpierpoint, Lancing and Brighton Colleges, Lewes Old Grammar School, Chailey School and Lewes Priory.
Drews Farm is a superb Grade II listed 17th Century or earlier tile-hung Sussex farmhouse, set in beautiful formal gardens and paddocks, with a chalk stream running through. The property is situated in a superb rural location, approached via a driveway through the paddocks surrounding the house, and having a delightful outlook over its own formal gardens and land to the South Downs. The house is secluded, yet close to the popular historic town of Lewes with its amenities and a mainline service to London from the village of Plumpton, 1 mile away (London Victoria and London Bridge from 59 minutes).
The property has been sympathetically restored to create a wonderful family home, with practical accommodation that offers all the benefits of modern living whilst retaining the character and many original features of its period. The main house has exposed beams throughout, solid oak doors with oak door furniture, wooden window frames in keeping with the style of the house and stone flagging in the main reception rooms. The interior is spacious and perfect for entertaining; the original house has been extended to provide a large games room, family room, gym area, steam shower and sauna. With the right consents this area could be converted to an annexe. There is an outdoor pool next to the gym area, and to the rear are a tennis court and cricket net. The property also has excellent storage provided by two boarded attic rooms and the barn; the barn currently has a studio room but offers excellent potential for further development with the right consents.
The floor plan gives an excellent overview of the property, points of note include:
- The solid oak front door leading to the stone flagged entrance hall.
- The sitting room with views over the gardens and Downs, fireplace with stone surround, double doors to the north terrace, stone flagged floor
- Impressive fully oak panelled drawing room with working inglenook fireplace, stone flagged floor, and concealed doors.
- Part glazed walkway to the kitchen/ breakfast room, with a range of wall hung and under counter oak units, oak dresser, tiled recess with 4 oven Aga, granite surfaces, larder with cold shelf, space for dishwasher, space for American –style fridge freezer, tiled floor, oak topped built in bench.
- Inner hall with door out to north terrace access to cloakroom with WC and sink, utility room with sink, boiler for main house, drying rack, spaces for washing machine and tumble dryer.
- Dining room with brick working inglenook fireplace, wooden flooring, bi-fold doors to the games room.
- Large games room with reinforced wooden flooring, room for snooker table, bar area with sink and space for fridge, stairs up to the first floor family room which has access outside to the tennis court. The games room opens out to the terrace next to the swimming pool and also gives access to the gym area, sauna and steam shower, and pool storage.
- Approached by the main staircase, the master bedroom suite has en suite bathroom with roll top bath and separate shower, and a dressing room.
- There is a guest bedroom with en suite bathroom, 3 further bedrooms and a family bathroom.
Drews Farm is approached from Plumpton Lane by a long driveway, which opens to a parking area in front of the garaging and barn. There is a double garage and car port suitable for two cars, with greenhouse behind and a path leading to the chicken coop. The grade II listed barn provides excellent storage, and has a secure studio with balcony, electricity, boiler and water connected, WC and log store, and would be suitable for further development subject to the relevant consents being obtained.
The farmhouse is set in over 18 acres of land, ensuring its seclusion. The house is bordered by well-stocked established gardens, which in turn are surrounded by six paddocks. The grounds have been beautifully landscaped with distinct areas and elements of note include: a stream bordering the western side of the formal garden area, landscaped to provide seating areas and bridges with access to the paddocks beyond; sunken terrace and formal lawn to the front of the house; terraces to the south east and north of the main house; outdoor pool area; all weather tennis court; fruit nets and orchard, secluded gazebo (with power, light and heating) by the stream.
In all about 18.69 acres.
A public footpath runs through the paddock to the western side of the property on the far side of the stream, and through the northern paddock.
From the A23, take the exit at Pyecombe and follow the B2112 through Clayton to Ditchling. Take the right hand turn at the roundabout in the centre of Ditchling onto the B2116, after about 3 miles, having reached the village of Plumpton, turn left onto Plumpton Lane. Travel for about half a mile north and the driveway for Drews Farm is signposted on the left.
More information from this agent
To view this media, please visit the on-line version of this page at www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-26726814.html
Map & Street View
Street View is unavailable in this location
Disclaimer - Property reference HYS120199. The information displayed about this property comprises a property advertisement. Rightmove.co.uk makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the advertisement or any linked or associated information, and Rightmove has no control over the content. This property advertisement does not constitute property particulars. The information is provided and maintained by Savills, Haywards Heath . Please contact the selling agent or developer directly to obtain any information which may be available under the terms of The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007 or the Home Report if in relation to a residential property in Scotland.
* This is the maximum possible speed. Broadband speed may be lower at peak times and can be affected by a range of technical and environmental factors. The speed you receive where you live may be lower than that listed above. Fibre/cable services at your postcode are subject to availability. You can confirm availability on the provider's website. The information is provided and maintained by comparethemarket.com
Map data ©OpenStreetMap contributors.