This property has been removed by the agent.It may be sold or temporarily removed from the market View similar properties
Land for sale
Nunnery Lane, Darlington, County Durham
The property comprises an attractive former dwelling house, known as Field House now incorporating a number of later additions and extensions and set in extensive enclosed
grounds situated in a mainly residential area.
From historical records we have established that the original property at this site dates back to 1684. The Carmelite community moved to the property in 1830, and soon afterwards, in 1832, adding a chapel and choir (now the refectory). The existing church was added later, with records showing a foundation stone for this dating it at 1848.The most recent addition to the property is the Spirituality
Centre, built in 2000, and providing a modern multi-function meeting hall, situated on the east side of the entrance courtyard, and linking with the church. Since their move to this property in 1830, Field House has remained in the ownership and use of The Carmelite Community.
The most recent addition to the property is the Spirituality Centre, built in 2000, and providing a modern multi-function meeting hall, situated on the east side of the entrance courtyard, and linking with the church. Since their move to this
property in 1830, Field House has remained in the ownership and use of The Carmelite Community. There is a single point of access to the property from Nunnery Lane via a set of gated stone pillars, leading to a front forecourt, and tarmac coated courtyard with parking for up to 10 vehicles. The property being sold also includes the lodge at the entrance to the convent, known as Carmel Lodge. This is a detached residential property situated on the western side of the main gateway. For the purposes of our description we have chosen to split the buildings into 4 separate parts as follows:
The ‘north buildings’ front the entrance courtyard, and house the main entrance to the Convent. At ground floor, the accommodation is split between two self contained one bedroom apartments, a central hallway, and ‘Speak’ rooms for visitors. At first floor, there are residents bedrooms/’cells’ and ancillary accommodation. Attached to this are a range of
buildings providing a link between the front and rear of the Convent and include ‘utility’ space, kitchens, scullery, laundry and stores, with integral yard areas to the west.
The ‘south building’ incorporates what we understand to be the oldest and original part of the house, previously known as Field House. This has a magnificent southerly aspect with double fronted bay windows at ground and first floor, situated either side of a substantial entrance hallway. The accommodation provides the principle living rooms at ground floor, including refectory, chapter room and library/recreation room. Each has period features, high ceilings and cornicing. At first floor the accommodation includes a series of bedroom suites/’cells’ and associated facilities.
The chapel buildings are situated on the east side of the main convent, and comprise later additions to the original Field House. The chapel is ‘L’ shaped, with a Choir area and a side
A series of cloisters surrounds the Choir and chapel, with access directly from the front courtyard, and a link to the adjoining
Spirituality Centre. The chapel/choir building is a purpose built place of worship, with high vaulted ceiling, stained glass windows and raised alter area. There is a small area of second floor accommodation, accessed from the main staircase, with lowered floor to ceiling height.
The ‘Spirituality Centre’ is the newest addition to the convent having been built in 2000. The property comprises a general purpose hall, suitable for various meetings and functions. It
incorporates a large open plan hall, with adjoining kitchen area, WC’s and visitor’s guest bedroom with shower room. It is brick built under a steep pitched roof incorporating window lights within the roof.
‘Carmel Lodge’ is a detached two storey lodge property situated immediately adjacent to the entrance gateway fronting Nunnery Lane. It is of brick construction under pitched slate roof in the main, with a single storey extension with mono pitched roof. Internally the accommodation comprises; entrance hallway,
cloakroom, kitchen, sitting room and dining room at ground floor, with two bedrooms and a bathroom at first. Outside is a small enclosed yard to the west.
The specification of the finish throughout the buildings is generally dated but, as one would expect for a building of this age and purpose, of good enduring quality. Many internal doors
are of solid hardwood, much of the flooring is either timber or stone. The bedroom quarters are basic, and the size of rooms partitioned to meet the specific requirements of the current
The property is situated on the west side of Darlington, in one the town’s best residential areas, approximately 1 1/2 miles from
the main town centre. The property is positioned just off the B2680 Carmel Road, on Nunnery Lane, from where it takes its
Darlington lies within the Tees Valley which encompasses the five historic boroughs of Darlington, Hartlepool, Middlesbrough, Stockton on Tees and Redcar and Cleveland. The town is positioned close to its border with Durham and North Yorkshire.
Darlington lies approximately 4 miles to the east of the A1(M) and has good access to the major road network, including the A66 trans-pennine route. Darlington was also the birthplace of the railways, and is situated on the main East Coast line, with regular connections to London and Edinburgh. Durham Tees Valley airport lies some 8 miles east of the town.
The property is enclosed by a brick built wall, on the South, West and East boundaries, to the ‘rear’ of the main house. To the north side, the boundary is made up of buildings backing onto Carmel Court, together with Carmel Lodge at the entrance, with gates leading out onto Nunnery Lane.
The site provides extensive grounds to the convent. These are mainly laid to lawn, but also incorporate more formal gardens, an orchard, vegetable ‘patch’, and cemetery. The gardens are home to a number of established and mature trees, in particular some exceptional Cedar and Sequoia trees, one in the centre of
the entrance courtyard, the other at the south side of the house within the formal garden area. We understand at least two of the mature trees on site are subject to a Tree Preservation Order.
The walled garden to the west of the buildings is largely laid to lawn with no significant trees thereon, except fruit trees. This area extends to approx 0.9 acres. If any part of the property
were to be released for new development, this would appear to be the most obvious and appropriate, albeit at present we note the land is designated Open Space.