This property has been removed by the agent.It may be sold or temporarily removed from the market View similar properties
6 bedroom detached house for sale
Woodside Farmhouse, Beith, Ayrshire
- 6 bedrooms
- 6 reception rooms
- 6 hole golf course
- 25 acres in all
Woodside Farmhouse enjoys a beautiful setting amidst its own land of some 25 acres, yet is a short drive to Glasgow City Centre. The manicured gardens of Woodside are of particular note, surrounding the house on all sides and naturally sheltered by amenity woodland. Within the 25 acres there is a block of land of about 13 acres which not only provides excellent grazing but also protects the privacy and seclusion of the house.
Beith is a historic town which originally relied on the textile trade as its main industry. Nowadays it is a popular base for commuters, enjoying easy access to Glasgow airport, the M8 and Glasgow city centre. Local amenities include banks, supermarkets, a medical surgery and solicitors. A full range of high street shops and stores are available in Glasgow, Paisley and Ayr.
Wellington School in Ayr offers private co-education as do St Columbus in Kilmacolm and numerous schools in Glasgow including Hutchesons' Grammar School, Craigholme School for Girls,
St Aloysius College, Glasgow Academy, Kelvinside Academy and The High School of Glasgow.
The surrounding area offers opportunities for field sports including shooting, as well as fishing, golf (including Beith Golf Course - the 8th hardest amateur course in Britain) and sailing on the Firth of Clyde. There are yachting marinas at Largs, Inverkip and Troon, all within easy reach. Glasgow airport (12 miles) provides a wide range of domestic, European and international flights. Prestwick airport (21.5 miles) has services to London Stansted and many European destinations.
Woodside Farmhouse is an elegant B Listed country house which dates back to the mid 19th century and was originally the stables for Woodside Castle. The property has recently undergone comprehensive refurbishment including the installation of a state of the art High Definition Cinema with 7.1 surround sound system, re-fitted luxury bathrooms, re-wiring and premium quality floor coverings.
Woodside was one of the principal estates in the Beith parish and the lands were owned by the Ralstoun family from 1551, when Hugh Ralstoun of that Ilk acquired the estate from Gavin Hamilton, Commendator of Kilwinning. The last of the Ralstouns sold the estate in 1771 to Dame Jean Stirling of Alva. Her heir sold it in 1833 to William Patrick of Roughwood. It then passed to his nephew, William Cochran-Patrick. William Cochran-Patrick's great nephew, Robert William Cochran-Patrick, inherited the estate in 1858 and it is likely the stables were built shortly thereafter. The stables, which are Category B listed, were converted into one dwelling after the Second World War and have been sympathetically restored, ensuring that the original character has not merely been retained but also enhanced.
The well proportioned accommodation has been laid out for entertaining and contemporary family living. The reception rooms are situated on either side of a welcoming reception hallway with a large arched window and a curved staircase with ornate reclaimed balustrade leading to a galleried landing above.
The beautiful drawing room is a bright, dual aspect, characterful room with an ornate carved oak fireplace housing a multi fuel burner. Beyond the drawing room there is the cinema with state of the art high definition 7.1 surround sound system. Additional public rooms on the ground floor include a living room with a sandstone fireplace, a sitting room, an exceptionally spacious dining room and a substantial conservatory which has been fully refurbished within the last year. The rest of the ground floor accommodation comprises a luxury family kitchen with Smallbone units, a utility room, a boot room and two cloakrooms/WCs. A secondary staircase from the utility room leads to a floored and lined attic room. On the first floor there is a master bedroom suite, with luxury en suite bathroom and dressing room, and five additional bedrooms, all with recently refitted en suites.
The manicured gardens of Woodside are perhaps of equal importance as the house itself and also reflect the attention to detail shown within the property. An expanse of level lawns interspersed with mature trees and shrubs surrounds the house. To the rear are a six hole golf course and a wild fowl pond with stream and sanctuary. In addition, there are a delightful tree house, a summerhouse, a detached agricultural store and general purpose stores.
- Entrance vestibule
- Reception hallway
- 2 Cloakrooms
- Living room
- Sitting room
- Dining room
- Drawing room
- Dining Kitchen
- Utility room
- Boot room
- Master bedroom suite with en suite bathroom and dressing room
- 5 further double bedrooms, all en suite
- Garaging, summerhouse and children's tree house
- 6 hole golf course
- Manicured gardens
- Amenity woodland
- Grazing land
- About 25 acres in all
From Glasgow travel westbound on the M8 passing Glasgow airport. Leave the M8 at junction 29 and take the A737 signposted for Irvine. Proceed along the A737 past Howwood, the roundabout at Lochwinnoch and continue towards Beith and Dalry. At the Clerksbridge Toll roundabout, turn right, taking the third exit signposted - Local Access Only' and continue along this single track road to the - T' Junction. Turn left at this junction and continue along here, crossing the small stone bridge. The main entrance to Woodside Farmhouse with its twin stone pillars is diagonally to your left.