This property has been removed by the agent. It may be sold or temporarily removed from the market

View similar properties

6 bedroom detached house for sale

Drum Millig, 146 Sinclair Street, Helensburgh, G84

Sold STC £795,000

Property Description

Key features

  • Arts & Crafts villa
  • 6 to 8 bedrooms
  • 4 reception rooms
  • 4 bathrooms
  • Potential for granny flat
  • EPC Rating = E

Full description

Tenure: Freehold

A fine Arts and Crafts villa in exceptional grounds

Location

Helensburgh is well placed for commuting to Glasgow with the A814, A82 and M8 allowing a journey time of less than an hour. Glasgow Airport is 22 miles distant and offers a variety of regular domestic and international flights.

Helensburgh Central Station is on the main Glasgow Queen Street line, with Helensburgh Upper Station on the West Highland line. There is a selection of local primary schools, with the reputable Hermitage Academy being its local secondary school. Private schooling is well catered for by Lomond School which provides facilities for day pupils and boarders alike. Helensburgh offers a wide range of local amenities including good local shopping and numerous civic and leisure facilities.
The property is well situated for golfers, with easy access to Helensburgh Golf Club, Cardross Golf Club and the world famous Loch Lomond Golf Club and the new Carrick course at Loch Lomond. Cameron House Hotel and leisure centre is only a short drive away.

Helensburgh, considered by many as a gateway to the Highlands, combines both town and country living with Loch Lomond and the Trossachs within easy reach. The Glencoe and Nevis Range ski areas are both within approximately an hour and a half's drive, while for water sports enthusiasts the Firth of Clyde provides some of Scotland's most testing sailing waters. The neighbouring village of Rhu offers a modern marina and is home to the world famous Royal Northern & Clyde Yacht Club.

http://thelochsidepress.com/2015/05/11/gareloch-one-of-top-three-commutable-countryside-areas-in-the-uk/

Description

Drum Millig is a splendid Arts and Crafts villa and a fine example of the work of Alexander Nisbet Paterson (1862-1947). In his early years, A N Paterson was an assistant to J J Burnet, before establishing his own practice in Glasgow in 1891. A Helensburgh resident himself, he created Drum Millig (meaning house on the ridge) in 1909.

Drum Millig is B-listed and displays many of Paterson's familiar traits, such as interesting shapes to the ceilings, rich walnut panelling and turrets with candle snuffer roofs. It has striking rendered facades under roofs of slate and rosemary tiles. The accommodation was extended with the addition of an east wing in the 1930s.

The property was bought by the present owners in 1996 and they have lovingly upgraded it to an exacting standard. They designed and refitted the kitchen and all of the bathrooms. The work of Scottish craftsman, Kenneth Anderson of Braco, is evident throughout the house. The gas central heating system has been upgraded and regularly maintained. The house offers substantial and flexible accommodation over two floors.
The entrance porch leads to the main reception hallway, which is L-shaped with beautifully waxed wooden panelling to around picture rail height and a substantial staircase. The panelling incorporates a gas flame effect fire. Off the reception hallway are a cloakroom, sitting room, drawing room, dining room, sun room and inner hallway to the kitchen.

The sitting room has a gas flame effect fire set into a simple surround and flanked on either side by book shelves. It has folding doors which open to the drawing room.

The drawing room is magnificent. It has a splendid arched ceiling typical of Paterson's architectural style, a nine pane bay window, a polished wooden floor and a door to the sun room. It has an open fire set into a marble surround with an Adam style mantelpiece.

The dining room is most formal. It has egg and dart cornicing, panelling to around mid level incorporating an open cast iron fireplace, a polished wooden floor and doors to the sun room and the inner hallway to the kitchen.

The sun room is understood to have been added in the 1930's at the time of the extension and the addition of the east wing. It has a doorway to the patio and Amtico flooring.

Accessed from the inner hallway are a walk in store, a beautifully fitted butler's pantry and the kitchen.
The kitchen was designed and refitted around 2000. It is beautifully built with solid timber carcases, hand painted fronts and a combination of timber and granite worktops. It has a red gas fired Aga. It also includes a number of integral appliances, including dishwasher, two burner gas hob, microwave and oven, fridge and freezer. Slate tiled flooring extends from the inner hall through to the kitchen and into a connecting breakfast room with plenty of space for a six-seater table. Off the breakfast room are the utility room and a door to the back of the house, where there is a dog run.

Also off the kitchen is a rear lobby with a secondary staircase, WC, two cold stores and further back door.

The principal staircase from the reception hallway and the upper landing are illuminated by a beautiful leaded window with stone mullions.

Accessed from the main first floor landing are six bedrooms, family bathroom, laundry and a study. Two of the bedrooms share an interconnecting shower room with heated floor. The master bedroom has fitted his and her wardrobes and a large en suite bathroom with heated floor. It has a free standing bath, wash hand basin, WC. Of particular note is a specialist shower with steam facility and power shower with body jets. The family bathroom has a wash hand basin, slipper bath, WC and mosaic tiled wall with inset lighting. The study has a bespoke fitted desk and a small meeting room off.

The connecting east wing has two further bedrooms, another bathroom and a walk in store which has been very well fitted out with hanging space and drawer storage by local craftsmen.
Outbuildings

Adjacent to the front of the house is a garage block with insulated double garage with two electric up and over doors, power and an inspection pit.

On the ground floor of the east wing, accessed by the secondary driveway, is a further double garage which, by modern standards has restricted height unsuitable for larger cars. It incorporates a gardener's wc.

Wood store.

Grounds
Drum Millig has two entrances. Both are gated, with the main entrance benefiting from electrically operated gates set in stone gate piers. From there a tarmacadam driveway sweeps towards the house and garage block and provides parking space for a number of cars

The exceptionally large and beautifully maintained grounds extend to about 1.8 acres in all. To the west of the main house is a manicured, level lawn which at one time was a tennis court. It has wonderfully well stocked borders. On the south front of the house is a paved patio. Below that is a sunken garden with a pond fed from the adjacent Millig Burn as it meanders from Glen Fruin through Helensburgh and into the River Clyde. Beyond the burn is an area of woodland.

Square Footage: 5,081 sq ft
Acreage: 2 Acres

Directions

Travelling westbound on the M8 from Glasgow take the cut off for the Erskine Bridge. Cross the bridge and filter left on to the A82, signposted Crianlarich. Follow signs for Loch Lomond. Passing Loch Lomond on the right hand side turn left at the Arden roundabout on to the B831 signposted Helensburgh and continue over the Black Hill. On entering Helensburgh, shortly after passing the reservoir on the right hand side, the gate piers and entrance to Drum Millig

More information from this agent

Listing History

Added on Rightmove:
01 April 2014

Map & Street View

Disclaimer - Property reference GLS110219. The information displayed about this property comprises a property advertisement. Rightmove.co.uk makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the advertisement or any linked or associated information, and Rightmove has no control over the content. This property advertisement does not constitute property particulars. The information is provided and maintained by Savills, Glasgow. Please contact the selling agent or developer directly to obtain any information which may be available under the terms of The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007 or the Home Report if in relation to a residential property in Scotland.

Map data OpenStreetMap contributors.