This property has been removed by the agent.It may be sold or temporarily removed from the market View similar properties
11 bedroom detached house for sale
Drumkilbo, Meigle, Blairgowrie, Perthshire, PH12 8Q
- Historic country house
- By Sir Robert Lorimer
- Beautiful private grounds
- 5 reception rooms
- 11 bedrooms
Drumkilbo House is situated in the Vale of Strathmore, the fertile plain that lies between the Grampian Mountains and the Sidlaw Hills, on the county border between Perthshire and Angus. The house is set well back from the main road in its own policy woodlands and has an open outlook to the south and west.
Drumkilbo is well placed for modern communications. The A94 connects Perth to Forfar and the A90, the main Dundee to Aberdeen road. Perth is only 18 miles away and is linked to Edinburgh by the M90. Dundee airport has services to London City airport, Birmingham and Belfast and a railway station on the main east coast line.
Meigle is less than a mile away and has a shop, post office and primary school. Blairgowrie and Forfar provide a more extensive range of shops and professional services whilst the larger towns of Perth and Dundee are within easy reach. There are a number of public schools in the area including Glenalmond, Strathallan, Kilgraston (girls), Dundee High School and St. Leonards. Prep schools include Craigclowan, Ardvreck and St. Leonards-New Park.
The recreational opportunities in the area are excellent. There is grouse shooting and stalking in the Perthshire and Angus Glens and salmon fishing on the Rivers Tay, Isla and Ericht. There are a number of good pheasant shoots nearby. The northernmost fox hunt in Britain is just over the Firth of Tay in Fife. Both national hunt racing and polo take place at Scone on the near side of Perth. Carnoustie, one of the finest links golf courses in Britain, is 20 miles away and St. Andrews, Rosemount and Gleneagles are all within 35 miles.
Drumkilbo was built in the 14th century as a fortified tower house and the original spiral stairways remain today. The house was extended in 1811 and this Georgian part forms the centre of the house with the pedimented front door now opening onto the gardens. In 1920 two wings were added by the famous architect Sir Robert Lorimer. The north west wing has the present front door and includes the drawing room with master bedroom suite above. In 1963 the house was extended to the south east with the addition of the kitchen and guest bedrooms. The architect was Robert Hurd.
The house is substantial and impressive but also attractive, functional and comfortable. The reception rooms are well proportioned and light. The magnificent Lorimer drawing room, off the entrance hall, and the dining room are superb rooms for entertaining. The other reception rooms, overlooking the garden, are of more intimate proportions. The family rooms include a study (also designed by Lorimer) and a split level kitchen and breakfast room. The bedrooms are laid out on separate landings meaning the guest wing can be divided off when not in use. There is substantial office and storage accommodation with a staff flat at the lower ground floor level.
Front door in Lorimer wing to the north of the house. Stone pediment dated 1963 with coat of arms. Stone doorway engraved 1920. Double storm doors to entrance with glazed inner door to:
Entrance Hall Wall panelling. Sitting area to side.
Bar Fitted coat hooks. Fitted bar with sink, fridge and store cupboards.
Cloakroom Two wash basins. Separate WC.
Drawing Room Beautifully proportioned room with ceiling mouldings and plaster panelled walls. Decorative marble fireplace. Wooden floors.
Writing Room Bay window overlooking garden. Recessed bookshelves with cupboard below. Fireplace with carved wooden mantel.
Hall Double doors to stair leading to garden. Exposed stone wall to spiral stairs up to first floor and down to basement.
Sitting Room Bay window overlooking garden with window seat. Open fireplace with carved wooden mantel.
Dining Room Beautifully proportioned room with display cupboard at either end with pediments above. Decorative marble fireplace with pillars. Wooden floor. Window shutters.
Servery Fitted floor and wall cupboards. Side corridor with doors off to:
Kitchen Four oven Aga. Fitted floor and wall cupboards with extensive work surfaces. Double Belfast sinks. Back Porch with door to garden.
Breakfast Room Cast iron period fireplace with tiled inserts. Fitted cupboards.
Cloakroom Coat Rack. WC and wash basin.
Utility Room Hot water cylinder. Sink unit.
Freezer Room Fitted shelves. Space for freezers.
Study Fireplace with carved wooden mantel and marble insert. Fitted bookshelves with pediment. Cupboard with fitted shelves outside.
From hall, spiral stairs up to first floor with door off to separate WC with bash basin. Hallway with doors to stairs up to three large floored attics.
Nairne Suite Bedroom with wooden floor and fitted cupboards.
Shower Room Double shower compartment. WC. Wash basin.
Linen Store With fitted shelves
WC With wash basin outside
Glamis Suite Archway to recessed fireplace with carved Adam style mantel and marble insert. Wardrobes and shelves to side.
Dressing room With fitted dressing table, wardrobes and cupboards.
Bathroom Tiled shower compartment. Bath. Heated towel rail. WC.
Lady in Waiting Bedroom
Bathroom Bath. Wash basin. Heated towel rail.
Wallace Suite Bedroom with carved wooden fireplace with marble inserts. Built in wardrobes.
Shower Room Tiled double shower. Wash basin. WC. Heated towel rail.
Bruce Bedroom Carved Adam style wooden fireplace with marble insert. Fitted wardrobes.
Bathroom Bath. WC. Wash basin.
Strathmore Bedroom Fireplace with wooden mantel. Cupboard with wash basin. Built in wardrobe.
Shower Room Shower. WC. Wash basin.
Bathroom Bath. WC. Wash basin.
De Tyrie Bedroom Blocked fireplace. Recessed wash basin. Fitted wardrobes and recessed display cupboards.
Master (Cox) Suite Comprising the north (Lorimer) wing of the house. Corridor with extensive wardrobes.
Master bedroom with windows overlooking garden. Stone fireplace with wooden mantel.
Dressing Room With wash basin.
Nursery With built in wardrobes.
Bathroom Bath. Wash basin. Heated towel rail. Tiled walls. Separate WC.
Shower Room Double shower compartment.
Lower Ground Floor
Spiral stairs from stairway hall down to basement corridor with door off to WC with wash basin.
Laundry Plumbed for washing machines. Extensive work surfaces. Wine cellar with studded door.
Wharncliffe Bedroom Fireplace. Recessed bookshelves with cupboard below. Cupboard with wash basin.
Bathroom Bath with shower attachment and shower screen. WC. Wash basin. Heated towel rail.
Billiard Room Snooker table with light above. Dumb waiter up to kitchen above.
Store Room Fitted cupboards and Belfast sink. Outer store with fitted dog run and flagstone flooring
Office Fitted desks and shelves.
Back Hall Back door to side of house. Fitted coat hooks.
Gun Room Fitted floor cupboards with sink. Gun display cupboard with drawers and cupboards below.
Staff Flat Bedroom with cast iron fireplace and integral shower room with WC, shower and wash basin. Living room with fitted cupboards, electric cooker, sink and plumbing for washing machine..
Gardens and Grounds
The house lies in about 14 acres of designed gardens and policies which have regularly been opened under Scotland's Gardens Scheme.
The drive is flanked by an avenue of mature oak and beech trees with a large copper beech and an enormous yellow azalea. Attractive grass glades have been cut and filled with interesting trees and shrubs. There is a multitude of snowdrops, narcissus and bluebells in spring. Under the trees specimens of species rhododendron and small shrubs are carefully arranged.
The formal garden is situated on the west side of the house. The structures in the garden were designed by Sir Robert Lorimer in about 1920 and consist of two terraces, separated by a low retaining wall and linked by steps and a small paved area. A high wall and yew hedge form the north side with a summerhouse overlooking the garden. A long herbaceous border with several notable shrubby honeysuckles provides a colourful display in the summer. The lower terrace was formerly an orchard and some of the old apple trees have been retained and curving beds of old fashioned roses, Japanese maples, flowering shrubs and groundcover plants have been planted. Roses and clematis climb through the trees, and bulbs are naturalised in grass swards. A shelterbelt of mature trees with the remains of a footpath edged by evergreen shrubs protects the garden.
The species rhododendrons have been catalogued by the Royal Botanic Gardens and the finest mature trees are listed in the National Tree Register. There is a Spanish chestnut planted around 1750, two magnificent limes dating from 1800, a 200 year old elm, two ancient oaks, a record-holding European Linden and the tulip tree, surviving through its offshoot, is said to be the oldest in Scotland.
To the east of the house is a heated outdoor swimming pool which is enclosed by a high wooden fence which protects it from the elements and provides security for young children. It has a fitted slide and a wooden summer house in the corner with folding back doors. Adjoining the walled garden is a potting shed and tractor store. There are a series of wooden and lean to stores and oil tanks.
From Perth take the A94 towards Forfar, through Coupar Angus and Meigle. The gates and tree lined drive to Drumkilbo are on the right hand side 0.5 miles beyond Meigle.