This property has been removed by the agent.It may be sold or temporarily removed from the market View similar properties
23 bedroom detached house for sale
Llangoed Hall, Llyswen, nr Brecon
- Historic Country House Hotel
- 23 en suite bedrooms & suites
- Extensive reception rooms
- Banqueting and conference room
- Commercial kitchens
Llangoed Hall is located on the west bank of the River Wye, one of Wales' best known rivers within mid Wales close to The Brecon Beacons National Park and only about 9 miles from Hay-On-Wye, the famous book town. This part of Wales is ideal for walking, fishing, cycling and generally enjoying outdoor pursuits. The property is accessed from the A470 between Brecon and Builth Wells. The A470 also links to the A438 providing good links with Hereford to the east and onto Ledbury and the M50. There are railway stations at Hereford and a local service at BuilthWells. The nearest airport is at Cardiff.
Hay-on-Wye about 9 miles - Cardiff about 50 miles - Swansea about 52 miles - Hereford about 30 miles - Brecon about 14 miles
(All distances are approximate).
On the instructions of Karen Dukes and Rob Lewis of PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP, Joint Administrators of Llangoed Hall Hotel Limited and Llangoed Properties Limited.
Link to the online data room:
Formerly known as Llangoed Castle, the Hall is set in about fifteen acres of Garden and Parkland in
the valley of the River Wye, nine miles west of the picturesque Hay-On-Wye. According to the late
Sir Clough William Ellis, the celebrated Welsh Architect, there appears to have been a house on this site since 560 AD. It is said that the First Welsh Parliament was held here.
Subsequently the building became for several centuries an Episcopal grange, only to be largely rebuilt in 1632 by Sir Henry Williams in the classic Jacobean Manor House Style. Sir Henry's Coat of Arms can still be seen over the South Porch.
During Regency times, the Williams family lost the property to a John McNamara in a gambling bout. In 1847, it was bought by John Bailey and by 1900 formed part of the great estate of Lord Glanusk. Soon afterwards, it was acquired by Mrs Archibald Christy, the wife of the prominent London hatter. It was Mrs Christy who commissioned Clough Williams Ellis to restore and largely redesign the house. The present building was completed in 1919, although parts of the South facing wing including the panelled library dating from 1632 were incorporated. Llangoed was Ellis' first major commission and preceded Portmerion, his well known Italianate village in North Wales, by over a decade.
Built of locally dressed stone, its original slate roof was so weighty that it had to be supported by steelgirders. Llangoed's finest interior features include its panelled library and dining room, its carved staircase leading to the first floor where the principal bedrooms lead off a 95 foot long pillared gallery. Like Sir Edwin Lutyens, Ellis was an Edwardian architect who sought to recreate, in
these contemporary times, an example of the great English country house. At Llangoed, he made
daring innovations, but he tried to retain the majestic chimney outlines of the Jacobean house he was adapting. With the advent of the First World War, many of these great houses had outlived their general purpose.
By the early 1970's, Llangoed was in danger of demolition saved only because of its historical and
architectural importance. In 1987, Sir Bernard Ashley, founder of Elanbach, bought the property
and restored the Hall to its former glory. Since opening as a Luxury Country House Hotel in June
1990, Llangoed Hall has achieved many accolades and tributes, and is now one of the best known
hotels in Wales. The property is listed Grade II and Grade II*.
The stable block comprises the offices and production/printing works of Elanbach, the fabric design company founded by Sir Bernard Ashley in 2000 and is currently let on a short lease to Elanbach, full vacant possession will be given in November 2012.
The property has an extensive and valuable inventory of both antique furniture and artwork including Whistler, Herman Dudley Murphy and James Cowie.
- South facing Entrance Vestibule.
- Fine reception Hall with reception office, sales and events offices. Carved staircase to upper floors. Ladies' and gentlemen's cloakrooms.
- The Library (30) with snooker table. East entrance vestibule.
- Morning Room (12) licensed for civil ceremonies. Double doors to Drawing Room (20) and double doors also to Dining Room (40).
- Whistler Room (20) used for private dining. Collection of originalWhistler prints.
- Garden Room (50) with doors out onto the terrace and garden. Access to Orangery Function Room (80) which is licensed for civil ceremonies.
- Commercial kitchens including main preparation area, pastry room, wash up, dry food stores, extensive cellars and wine store, bottle store and boiler room.
There are twenty three individually styled bedrooms and suites arranged on the first and second floors. All bedrooms enjoy views over the surrounding gardens and countryside. Each bedroom has an en suite bathroom. There are:
- 3 Suites
- 8 Four posters
- 12 twins and doubles
There is a staff lodge currently arranged as 5 bedrooms, kitchen and 2 bathrooms located off the secondary driveway.
Grade II Listed with some original features including tin sinks and cast iron sliding drying racks.
Grade II Listed with workshop/maintenance store and sewing room on the ground floor and
administration offices on the first floor.
These Grade II Listed buildings are 'U' shaped and comprise a single storey east wing arranged as 3 stables, the middle section is a 3 bay carriage house which is linked to the northern wing known as the Bothy.
The ground and first floors of the Bothy are currently arranged as administrative offices for Elanbach. The second floor as a 2 bedroom flat with sitting room, office and bathroom/WC. The Bothy is linked to the Carriage House which was used for washing the fabrics and a corridor opens into the printing works, a modern open space industrial building.
THE ENGINE HOUSE
This currently is arranged as the Elanbach shop.
To the rear of the shop is a modern steel frame warehouse. Garage building.
There is a modern former helicopter hangar with outside hard standing.
GARDENS AND GROUNDS
The property is approached by a long private drive to a gravelled turning and parking area. Further
overflow and staff car parking areas. The gardens are principally laid to lawn to the east of the house providing a croquet lawn, an Edwardian walled kitchen garden and maze to the north and lawns and a helipad to the south and west. Garden maintenance store and office. In all about 14.66
acres (5.93 ha).
An online data room will be provided for additional information with access provided to genuinely interested parties having completed a non disclosure agreement.
TENURE AND BASIS OF SALE
Offers are invited for the freehold interest in the property upon the following basis:
- Vacant possession upon completion subject to the lease to Elanbach until November 2012.
- Trade fixtures, fittings and equipment will be included.
- The antique and painting inventory is separately available.
- Stock at valuation on completion.
We are informed that there is a compliant fire risk assessment in accordance with the Regulatory
Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005.
The purchaser will be required to comply with the relevant legislation in respect of present employees.
Should the sale of the property or any right attached to it be deemed a chargeable supply for VAT purposes, such tax will be payable by the purchaser in addition to the sale price.
The property is connected to mains electricity and water. Private drainage. Oil fired boilers for central heating and hot water. The kitchens are connected to LPG.
Powys County Council, County Hall, Llandrindod Wells, Powys, LD1 5LG.
Hotel - £97,500
Offices, factory, warehouse etc - £11,750
(From the Severn Bridge)
After crossing the Severn Bridge (old or new) continue on the M4 until junction 24. Leave the
motorway here and take the A449 towards Monmouth for approximately 13 miles. Then take the A40 to Abergavenny, passing Raglan Castle on the right hand side. When you come to a
roundabout on the outskirts of Abergavenny, follow the signs for Brecon, still on the A40. Approximately 7 miles out of Abergavenny you will come to the village of Crickhowell and after
another 3-4 miles you will come to the Cider Mill restaurant and a turning on the right hand side
signposted to BuilthWells (A479/A470). Turn right here and continue on this mountain road for approximately 13 miles to the village of Talgarth. Keep following the signs for BuilthWells on the A470 (you will also go through the village of Bronllys) and after approximately 4 miles you will come to the village of Llyswen. From Llyswen continue North on the A470 towards BuilthWells and Llangoed Hall is approximately one mile out of the village of Llyswen on the right hand side. There is a sign for the hotel at the top of the drive.
Strictly by appointment with Savills.
Prior to making an appointment to view we strongly recommend that you discuss any particular points which are likely to affect your interest in the property with a member of staff who has seen the property in order that you do not make a wasted journey.
Martin Rogers, Savills Exeter - 01392 455755
Daniel Rees, Savills Cardiff - 02920 368930