This property has been removed by the agent.It may be sold or temporarily removed from the market View similar properties
3 bedroom character property for sale
Chester Road, Rossett
- 16th Century Mill
- Grade II* Listed Building
- Popular Village Location
- Character Accommodation
- 3 Reception Rooms
- 3 Bedrooms
- Working Mill
- 2 Storey Coach House
WORKING MILL WITH EXTENSIVE LIVING ACCOMMODATION, COACHOUSE AND LAND. A fantastic opportunity to own a Grade II* listed working corn mill which dates back to the 16th Century. The property would make a beautiful family home and offers potential for other uses (subject to any necessary planning permissions and approvals that may be required). With a wealth of character features, it briefly comprises: living room, garden room, study, breakfast kitchen, dining room, side hall, downstairs WC, separate cloakroom, utility room, galleried landing, principal bedroom with en-suite bathroom, 2 further bedrooms and shower room. The Mill workings are set over 3 floors and house the mill machinery and original grain store. Externally, to the front there is a lawned area and side mill pond. To the rear, there is an extensive stone flagged courtyard area. A secondary driveway at the side leads to a modern brick-built two-storey Coach House. There is also a large meadow field.
Rossett is geographically located near to the Welsh and English border towns of Wrexham (approximately 6.5 miles) and Chester (approximately 7.5 miles). The Village sits close to the Wales-England border and is built on the banks of the River Alyn which is a tributary of the River Dee 1.5 miles downstream. Rossett's neighbouring villages are Marford, Burton, Pulford and Holt. In terms of amenities, Rossett is well served by schools, village shops and services with local store, post office, pharmacy, doctors' surgery and dentist. The village, being close to Wrexham and Chester, also has two popular hotels: Llyndir Hall Hotel and Rossett Hall Hotel, a converted mid-18th Century house. Local public houses include The Butcher's Arms, The Golden Lion and The Alyn, all located centrally in Rossett. Christ Church, completed in 1892 and replacing an earlier Church on the same site, is of Gothic Revival design. The village's War Memorial is sited in its Churchyard. Other places of worship include the Old Church, Baptist Church and a Presbyterian Chapel. Road communications are excellent, being half a mile from the A483 Wrexham by-pass which connects to the Chester Southerly by-pass facilitating access to the national motorway network. The Wrexham Industrial Estate, Chester Business Park and Deeside Industrial Park are all within daily commuting distance, as are the larger centres of Liverpool and Manchester which are served by international airports.
Rossett Mill, historically known as Marford Mill, is a Grade II* listed water mill built in 1588 and later extended in 1661 and during the 1820's. The Mill provides spacious accommodation with a wealth of character features and briefly comprises: living room with inglenook fireplace, garden room, study, breakfast kitchen, dining room, side hall, downstairs WC, separate cloakroom, utility room, galleried landing, principal bedrom with en-suite bathroom, two further bedrooms and shower room. There is also the Mill, which is set over three floors housing the Mill machinery and original grain store. The living accommodation benefits from an oil fired central heating system. To the front there is a lawned area with a mill pond to the side and a large 25' diameter 19th Century water wheel which powers four pairs of 'French Burr' millstones dated 1790. To the rear of the Mill there is an extensive stone flagged courtyard area. A secondary driveway at the side leads to a modern brick-built two storey Coach House. There is also a large meadow field. The meadow field, including the driveway, extends to approximately 8 acres.
The Mill was purchased by the current owner and a programme of restoration started in 1974. Today the Mill is in working order and is a Grade II* listed building.
Please note all dimensions and floor plans are approximate and should be used for guidance only.
The detailed accommodation comprises:
included for identification purposes only, not to scale.
5.92m(19'5'') x 7.87m(25'10'')
An impressive entertaining room with exposed beamed ceiling and wall timbers, five wall light points, TV aerial point, two leaded windows overlooking the front, exposed oak floorboards with steps leading down to a large exposed sandstone inglenook fireplace with stone flagged hearth, cast iron open grate, two recessed ceiling spotlights and two built-in storage cupboards with oak doors. Reclaimed oak staircase to the first floor, beamed opening to Dining Room and double opening oak panelled doors to the Garden Room.
Living Room Fireplace
6.25m(20'6'') x 3.30m(10'10'')
Pitched ceiling with exposed beams, exposed wall timbers, oak wooden floorboards, full height double glazed windows overlooking the rear courtyard area and double glazed door to side. Wooden panelled doors to the Breakfast Kitchen and Study. Door with steps leading to Mill - Level 1.
2.01m(6'7'') x 2.01m(6'7'')
Pitched ceiling with exposed beams, oak wooden floorboards, cupboard housing the fire alarm system and two full height double glazed windows overlooking the rear.
5.64m(18'6'') x 5.03m(16'6'')
Fitted with a range of oak fronted kitchen units with exposed brickwork and tiled work surfaces. Inset twin bowl sink unit with mixer tap. Built-in AEG microwave and AEG oven and grill. Fitted Gaggenae four-ring electric hob and fryer. Housing for American style fridge/freezer. Two exposed beams with spotlights, clothes pulley, large terracotta tiled floor, leaded window to side, Georgian style multi-paned window overlooking the rear and chimney breast housing a restored cast iron range with two hotplates, oven and decorative surround. Two wooden panelled doors to Dining Room.
5.74m(18'10'') x 5.54m(18'2'')
Three leaded windows overlooking the front and side, exposed beamed ceiling, six wall light points, part wooden panelled walls and oak floorboards. Wooden panelled door to Side Hall.
2.57m(8'5'') x 1.40m(4'7'')
Built-in meter cupboard housing the electricity meter and fuse board. Doors to the Separate WC, Cloakroom and Utility Room. Wooden panelled door to outside.
1.85m(6'1'') x 1.02m(3'4'')
Low level WC and wall-mounted wash hand basin, fully tiled walls, ceiling light point, ceramic tiled floor and leaded window overlooking the rear.
1.85m(6'1'') x 1.27m(4'2'')
Cast iron wash stand with wash hand basin and splashback with bevelled mirror; heated towel rail, ceiling light point, fully tiled walls, ceramic tiled floor and leaded window to side.
3.43m(11'3'') x 1.57m(5'2'')
Fitted pitched pine base unit with drawers and cupboard, tiled work surface with inset single bowl sink unit and mixer tap. Plumbing and space for washing machine and space for tumble dryer. Fully tiled walls, fluorescent strip light, leaded window overlooking the front, heated towel rail and ceramic tiled floor.
5.97m(19'7'') x 4.22m(13'10'')
High pitched ceiling with exposed beams, exposed wall timbers, two leaded windows overlooking the front, Georgian style multi-paned window overlooking the rear, exposed wooden floorboards and spindled balustrade. Opening to Inner Landing and staircase which provides access to Bedroom 2.
3.35m(11'0'') x 2.01m(6'7'')
Access to roof void, two wall light points with dimmer switch controls, exposed beam and oak wooden floorboards. Doors to Principal Bedroom, Bedroom 3 and Shower Room.
5.69m(18'8'') x 5.03m(16'6'')
A large Principal Bedroom with a high vaulted ceiling and exposed beams, leaded window to side, Georgian style multi-paned window to rear, two wall light points and telephone point.
3.58m(11'9'') max. x 2.36m(7'9'') max.
Five piece suite comprising: panelled bath; low level WC; tiled shower enclosure with glazed door; and tiled worktop with two wash hand basins and cupboards beneath. Part tiled walls, exposed wall timbers, ceiling light point, electric shaver point, electric kickboard heater and leaded window to side.
6.05m(19'10'') x 3.96m(13'0'')
Pitched ceiling with exposed beams, exposed wall timbers, leaded window overlooking the front and Georgian style multi-paned window overlooking the rear.
3.96m(13'0'') max. x 3.43m(11'3'')
High ceiling with exposed beams, leaded window overlooking the front, ceiling light point and exposed wooden floorboards.
2.54m(8'4'') x 1.68m(5'6'')
Cast iron wash stand with wash hand basin and splashback with bevelled mirror; low level WC with concealed cistern; and tiled shower enclosure with glazed door. Double glazed rooflight, electric shaver point and exposed beam.
The Mill - Level 1
12.29m(40'4'') x 5.38m(17'8'')
This room is located on the ground floor, has a quarry tiled floor and houses part of the workings for the Mill. Door to Inner Hall. Staircase rising to the second level of the Mill.
Quarry tiled floor, light point and oil storage tank area. Doors to Separate WC and Boiler Room.
2.18m(7'2'') x 0.71m(2'4'')
Low level dual flush WC, wall-mounted wash hand basin, single glazed window with obscured glass, wall light point and quarry tiled floor.
2.24m(7'4'') x 1.52m(5'0'')
Floor mounted oil fired central heating boiler, hot water cylinder, hot water and central heating controls, ceiling light point, quarry tiled floor and door to outside.
The Mill - Level 2
15.19m(49'10'') x 5.56m(18'3'')
This room also houses part of the historical workings of the Mill to include four grinding stones. There is also a useful Workshop area.
Double opening wooden doors to outside, two staircases leading to two storage rooms on Level 3 and door to side with external wooden walkway over the watercourse.
The Mill - Level 3 - Room 1
9.42m(30'11'') x 5.51m(18'1'')
With a wealth of exposed beams.
The Mill - Level 3 - Room 2
5.89m(19'4'') x 5.51m(18'1'')
Pitched ceiling with fluorescent strip lighting and multi-paned window to rear.
Gardens And Field
The property occupies a delightful location alongside the River Alyn. To the front of the property there is a lawned garden with sandstone walling and coping stones. There is also a large stone flagged driveway and a stone flagged pathway which leads to the entrance door. A series of stone steps rises up to double opening doors into the Mill.
To the left hand side of the Mill there is the Mill Pond and Mill Wheel. A gated driveway to the right hand side of the property provides access to a large paved courtyard area with stocked borders being enclosed by brick walling. A secondary driveway to the right hand side of the property runs alongside the River Alyn and provides access to the Coach House.
To the rear of the property there is a large meadow field bounded by the Mill Race, River Alyn and railway line. The field and secondary driveway measure approximately 8 acres. We understand that there are also FISHING RIGHTS, both coarse and salmon, along the River Alyn between the bridge on the Chester Road and the railway bridge over the River Alyn.
The Coach Houses
The Coach Houses were built around 1990 and are centred around a granite sett courtyard and have block and beam floors with slate roofs.
There are two Coach Houses. The current owner wishes to retain one of the Coach Houses and this has been excluded from our particulars.
Coach House 1 Floorplan
Coach House 1
Triple Bay Garage
12.17m(39'11'') x 5.23m(17'2'')
Triple bay garage with three folding sliding garage doors, lighting and three windows.
9.55m(31'4'') x 5.21m(17'1'')
With five windows, light, door to outside and staircase to the first floor.
First Floor Landing
5.26m(17'3'') x 3.84m(12'7'')
With window. Opening to:
Store Room 1
5.56m(18'3'') x 5.21m(17'1'')
With two windows. Opening to:
Store Room 2
12.40m(40'8'') x 5.38m(17'8'')
With four windows and two double glazed velux windows.
Grade Ii* Listing
Two storeys, one on accretative H-plan with timber box-framed central sections, and limited stone dressings on irregular stone base. Pitch slate roof with new skylights. The earliest part of the mill, to the north dating from 1588, houses the driving machinery including pit wheel, wallower, and large spur wheel. Newly formed stone steps up to former cart entrance and large stone quoins. Roff braces exposed to gable end.
Central section of 1661 is box-frame on stone plinth with dated dormer over porch. Quatrefoil timber decoration over main door. Western section is 19th century, of brick construction with filled-in cart door to form window. Single storey extension to west cross-wing.
The accommodation is warmed throughout by an oil fired central heating system with Myson convector heaters. Rossett Mill is protected by a CHUBB burglar alarm system.
Our vendor informs us that the 'Mill Race' is a privately owned water course that serves the Mills and has to be regularly maintained. It stretches approximately half a mile back to the River Alyn.
Fixtures And Fittings
Items regarded as fixtures and fittings including carpets and curtains are initially excluded from the sale, although certain items may be available by separate negotiation.
By arrangement with the Agent's Chester Office on 01244 404040.
If the property you buy is not for sale through Cavendish Ikin, one of our Surveyors can carry out a survey for you. The telephone number of our Surveying Department is 01244 322422.
Rossett Mill History
The history of the village of Rossett is entwined with the history of Rossett Mill. This working Mill is listed as an historic building which is an exceptionally fine example of a 16th Century undershot corn mill. Situated close to the old Chester Road on the southern edge of the village of Rossett, Wrexham, it stands in its own grounds on the banks of the River Alyn. It is believed that a mill was first built on this site around 1250. A mill for the villages of Allington, Gresford, Burton and Llay was built on this site in 1544. Intended as a free mill to rival the King's Mill at Marford, the original mill was demolished before a new mill, the current building, was built in 1588. This was extended in 1661, as evidenced by the inscription on the gables, around which time the Trevor family of Trevalyn Hall acquired both mills. In 1710 the millwright, Robert Konrick, undertook extensive repairs to the floors and waterwall. Further extensions took place in the 1820's. The Mill was sketched by Turner in 1795.
RESERVATION OF DEVELOPMENT RIGHTS
The sale of the property will be subject to a reservation in favour of the vendor of overage in respect of any planning permission that may be granted for alternative and more beneficial use than agriculture within a period of 30 years from the date of sale. The amount of overage will be 35% of any increase in value over the existing agricultural use at the date of the grant of planning permission.
Misrepresentation Act 1967
These particulars, whilst believed to be accurate, are set out for guidance only and do not constitute any
part of an offer or contract - intending purchasers or tenants should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact, but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to their accuracy. No
person in the employment of Cavendish Ikin has the authority to make or give any representation or
warranty in relation to the property.