This property has been removed by the agent.It may be sold or temporarily removed from the market View similar properties
5 bedroom house for sale
Common Lane, Ditchling, Nr. Hassocks, East Sussex BN6 8TJ
- Much improved 1920s House
- 5 bedrooms, 3 reception rooms
- Detached 2 bedroom Cottage
- Delightful gardens
- Superb South Downs views
Willow Lodge is situated on the northern side of the picturesque downland village of Ditchling, within easy reach of the village shops and primary school and in close proximity to the surrounding countryside and South Downs.
Local amenities: The village has two public houses, post office, tobacconist, chemist, caf√©s, jewellers, general store and village museum.
Comprehensive shopping: Brighton, Haywards Heath & Burgess Hill
Mainline rail services: Hassocks (3 miles distant; London Bridge/Victoria from 48 minutes), Burgess Hill (4.5 miles distant; London Bridge/Victoria from 51 minutes) and Haywards Heath (8 miles distant; London Bridge/Victoria from 42 minutes).
Primary, secondary state & private schools: There are a number of schools and colleges in the local area, including St. Margaret's Primary School in Ditchling, Downlands Community College in Hassocks, Hurstpierpoint College and Burgess Hill School for Girls.
Willow Lodge is a detached, Turner designed family home, dating from 1926 and typical of the Turner style; characterised by brick elevations with timber framed, leaded light style double glazing under a tiled roof. The property has been the subject of a number of improvements and two extensions by the current owners (2001 and 2003/4), resulting in a spacious home with the additional benefit of a detached, two bedroom cottage.
The accommodation is arranged over two floors, with points of note including:
- An overhung porch canopy with original, solid wood front door opens to the spacious entrance hall, off which lies a cloakroom with WC and from which the staircase rises to the first floor.
- Glazed double doors open from the hall to the dining room, which features a fireplace with clay tiled hearth and inset basket with gas, coal effect fire.
- A further set of double doors open to the double aspect drawing room, which is an attractive, spacious room with two sets of double doors opening to the garden and a handsome brick inglenook fireplace with cast iron fireplace and hood.
- Sitting room with a door opening to the garden and adjoining study, with range of fitted shelving and a desk.
- The kitchen/breakfast room is fitted with a range of painted, handmade wooden units and display cupboards, complemented by granite worktops, an inset sink and drainer, half tiled walls and terracotta tiled floor. Space for a range oven and integrated appliances including a fridge/freezer and dishwasher. Breakfast area with fitted corner bench.
- Useful utility room with range of units and storage cupboards, inset sink and drainer and space for laundry appliances. The utility room leads to the gym, which has a built in sauna by Lagerholm Finnsauna and a stable door opening to outside.
- Double aspect master bedroom with walk in dressing room and en suite bathroom with white suite including a contemporary style, freestanding bath and separate shower cubicle.
- Guest bedroom with range of fitted wardrobes, a feature fireplace and French doors opening to a charming balcony, overlooking the rear garden, towards the South Downs. En suite bathroom.
- There are three further bedrooms on the first floor. The two of the rooms have en suite shower rooms and one has a door opening to the balcony. The smaller of the three bedrooms has a built in cupboard housing the hot water tank and a wall mounted Baxi boiler.
- Family bathroom with suite including a bath with drencher shower over.
Willow Cottage & Garaging
The Cottage is detached from the main house and is attractively characterised of brick, part weather boarded elevations under a tiled roof. Ideal for use as guest accommodation or annexe, the property is currently let on an assured shorthold tenancy at a rental of ¬£850pcm. The accommodation is arranged over two floors:
- Entrance hall, off which lie two bedrooms and a bathroom.
- Kitchen/breakfast room, fitted with a range of units, an inset sink and drainer and an integrated oven with four-ring gas hob.
- Stairs rise to the first floor sitting room, which has two Velux windows and French doors enjoying far reaching views.
- Outside, there is an enclosed, private garden offering a charming outdoor seating area.
Adjoining the cottage is the double garage, which has an electrically operated up and over door and a wall mounted Worcester boiler, serving the cottage.
Willow Lodge is approached from Common Lane via a gravelled driveway and parking area, which offers ample space for a number of cars. There is gated pedestrian access around both sides of the house to the garden, where a small loggia adjoins the rear of the house, offering an attractive outdoor seating area and with steps leading down to the lawn. The lawn stretches away from the property to the south east; interspersed with spring bulbs and edged by mature hedges and trees. Halfway down the garden is a timber outbuilding, housing a heated swimming pool. The lower lawn was formerly used as a grass tennis court and still has the inbuilt stanchions for a net. To the far end of the lawn, beyond the former tennis court, is a pretty seating area in the shade of an elegant weeping willow, and a timber tractor shed screening a useful area for garden waste.
In all, about 0.72 of an acre.
From the centre of Ditchling, proceed north up the High Street (B2112) and follow the road as it becomes North End and then Common Lane. Pass the left hand turning to Orchard Lane and Willow Lodge (number 8 Common Lane) can be found after a short distance on the right hand side, immediately after the white, Spanish-style property.