This property has been removed by the agent.It may be sold or temporarily removed from the market View similar properties
8 bedroom detached house for sale
Limefield House, West Calder, West Lothian
- 8 bedrooms (4 en suite)
- 4 reception rooms
- 2 separate bathrooms
- Wooded grounds (about 5 acres)
- 6 self-catering suites. Garage
Limefield is situated within its own grounds directly off the A71, providing quick and convenient access to central Scotland's arterial travel network. Edinburgh Airport is approximately 12 miles away, whilst Glasgow and Edinburgh City Centre can be easily reached via the M8 motorway (Junction 3).
As well as this, Limefield is only a short distance from Livingston where there is a wide range of
amenities and facilities to meet everyday needs including Almondvale Shopping Centre
and McArthur Glen Retail Village. The popular Almondell and Calderwood Country Park is a short distance away, in Mid Calder and provides open green spaces and pleasant country walks for families. Schooling is available locally at both primary and secondary level, whilst private schooling is readily available in Edinburgh, including Clifton Hall Preparatory School at Newbridge and Cargilfield, Merchiston, Fettes, Edinburgh Academy located in the city.
Built in 1805 for an Edinburgh judge, Limefield House was later bought by James 'Parrafin' Young in 1855, an early exponent of the distillation of coal to form paraffin. Whilst at Anderson's College in Glasgow (now Strathclyde University), Young befriended David Livingstone, the intrepid African explorer and missionary and he would later spend many holidays at Limefield. Indeed Young helped fund many of Livingstone's expeditions to Africa.
Whilst landscaping the grounds, Young built a waterfall on Harburn Water to mimic Victoria Falls on the Zambezi River, as described to him by Livingstone which he had discovered in the mid-19th century. As well as this, on one of his many visits to Limefield, Livingstone planted a sycamore tree in the grounds, which still stands today.
The house has only had four occupiers including the current owners who bought the property in 1999.
A sweeping driveway leads from the A71 through wooded policies to the front of Limefield House; a quiet yet accessible family home. Built in 1805, Limefield House has been extensively renovated by the current owners, yet retains it prolific period detail and fine Georgian proportions throughout. The faĆ§ade is constructed of polished sandstone ashlar with a piended slate roof. A fine pediment with central circular window forms the centre piece of the front elevation.
The West Wing was added in 1855, formerly with a conservatory at upper level. In 1955 this was extended and two further small west wings were added. These are of brick and harl construction under a flat copper roof. The three wings are now split into six separate suites of which two are currently used as office space, whilst the other four are used for serviced apartments.
Limefield House is Category B-Listed for it historical and architectural significance.
Stone steps lead up to a plinth over lower ground level where the front door with fan window above and side-lights, opens onto the hallway and ground floor accommodation:
Entrance Hall: Flagstone floors with overlaid timber floor, fine painted ceiling cornice and original pillars leading to inner hallway.
Drawing Room: South facing, overlooking gardens with original white marble fireplace, working shutters, detailed ceiling cornice, panelling to dado height, full height vertical mirror.
Sitting Room: Dual aspect views to south and east with original white marble fireplace with thistle detail, working shutters, panelling to dado height.
Bedroom 2: Double bedroom with fireplace, cornice and recessed shelving. En suite shower room.
Study: Dual aspect views with walk-in wardrobe space.
Pantry/Drinks Room: Sink and wall/floor units.
There is extensive storage on this floor, as well as a boarded up doorway leading to the stone spiral staircase, formerly the servant's stair.
The main stair, refitted during the 1855 refurbishment, complete with James Young's Coat of Arms, rises to the first floor landing and leads to:
Master Bedroom Suite: Dual aspect views to south/west, press cupboard, cornice and ceiling rose. Door leading to:
Dressing Room: Fitted wardrobes, working shutters. Door leading to:
Bedroom 5: Double bedroom with fitted wardrobes. Equally suggests use as a sitting room for the master bedroom.
En Suite Bathroom with access to landing.
Bedroom 3: Double bedroom with en suite shower room.
Bedroom 4: Double bedroom with walk-in wardrobe space and access to en suite/ 'Jack and Jill' bathroom.
Bathroom: Fine stained glass windowed door with image of Heron, Access to Bedroom 4.
Spiral stone stair leads to SECOND FLOOR:
(Currently used for staff/visitor accommodation)
Bedroom 6: Double bedroom with door leading to large storage space. Coombed ceiling with dormer window.
Bathroom: Bath, WC, wash hand basin, velux window, storage area.
Bedroom 7: Bedroom with storage. Coombed ceiling with velux window.
Bedroom 8/Sitting Room: Double bedroom. Coombed ceiling with dormer window.
Bathroom: Bath, WC, wash-hand basin.
Kitchen: Sink, fitted floor units, hob/oven, washing machine.
Large storage room: housing header water tanks and electric immersion water heater for second floor.
Door leading from second floor landing to stair providing access to roof.
The stone spiral staircase from the second floor leads to the accommodation on the first and lower ground level, although access can also be gained from the main stair at Ground Floor level.
LOWER GROUND FLOOR
Kitchen/Breakfast: Large open plan kitchen with fitted wall, floor and central island units, incorporating oil-fired 4-door Aga. Large American-style stainless steel 'Subzero' Fridge Freezer. Two cellars are found at the front of the house under the external main stair. Other appliances by CDA including integrated dishwasher, ceramic hob and two sets of single ovens and microwaves.
Dining Room: Large room with flag stone floor. Access from lower ground floor hall and main corridor. Fireplace. Press cupboard.
Utility Room: Belfast sink with fitted wall and floor units. Step-up to shelved wine cellar, formerly a safe.
Pantry: Fully shelved
Boiler Rooms: Two boilers are located to the rear of the lower ground floor in separate stores.
WC: At mezzanine level between lower ground and ground floors.
THE WEST WINGS - BUSINESS CENTRE/SERVICED RESIDENTIAL SUITES
Brick and stone-built structure consisting of three small wings the front of which was initially built in 1855, but extended in 1955. Separate with a disabled ramp and rear gravelled car park. Central stair linking ground and first floor.
Suite 1: Three offices, WC, and tea preparation. Net office area 48 sq m/512 sq ft
Suite 2: Two bedrooms, shower room and kitchenette.
Suite 3: Bedroom, kitchenette, shower-room
First Floor corridor with service cupboard:
Suite 4: Four offices, kitchen, storage, bathroom. Net office area 43 sq m/461sq ft.
Suite 5: Two bedrooms, kitchen, shower room.
Suite 6: Bedroom, kitchenette, bathroom
The present owners utilise two suites for office lettings and income details are available on request to principals.
GARDENS AND GROUND
The garden grounds extend to approximately 5 acres, and are well stocked with mature trees and shrubs. There is a sweeping lawn to the front of the house, whilst to the rear the house backs onto Harburn Water, a picturesque burn where, in the past, the occasional sea trout has been caught. When the previous owner James 'Parrafin' Young took ownership of Limefield, he set about landscaping the grounds, and this included much work done to the river bank.
The trees surrounding the house are a mixture of hard and soft woods, including beech, copper beech, a variety of evergreen trees, as well as the Corstorphine sycamore tree, famously planted by David Livingstone in 1866. The extensive Yew tress pre-date the existing house and together with rhododendrons provide the house with a huge degree of privacy throughout the seasons.
Fixtures and Fittings:
Only items specifically mentioned in the particulars of sale are included in the sale price.
Some of the furniture in the self catering suite may be available by separate negotiation.
A number of principal light fittings are specifically excluded from the sale.
All fitted floor coverings are included in the sale.
The subjects benefit from a 3 phase electrical supply with sub-metered supply to the West Wing Suites.
The house has a contemporary oil fired central heating served by two Grant balance flue boilers with twin hot water storage tanks. Heating is controlled on a floor-to-floor basis.
The business centre is heated by electricity (separately sub-metered).
The subjects are served by mains water from a private pipe to main road. A new water pipe has been laid into the east drive for connection at a later date.
Mains gas is available at the main A71. The current owners have laid a new gas duct up the drive to allow easy connection of mains gas if required.
The whole subjects are to connected to mains drainage. There is an adopted pumping station to the south-east of the main gate which was renewed and extended in 2007. Scottish Water maintain this and have access rights under statutory powers.
Hot water in the main house is provided by the oil fired boilers (with electric immersions for back up) with the exception of the top floor (east section) which has a separate hot water system (with electric immersion).
Flood lighting is provided to the front of the house and the rear cark park
Mains water and a 3-phase electrical supply is provided to the west side of the front garden (in the trees).
Lantern lights are provided up both the front and rear driveways.
Electric gates are fitted to the main east drive onto the A71. An entryphone is fitted with numeric key access, remote control access and buttons for various handsets throughout the house and each of the suites.
The main easterly access is directly off the A71, due West (100m or so) from the West Calder High School. The easterly access opens on to Stable Lane, Limefield. There is a southerly access (currently blocked off) thought the grounds of West Calder High School.