8 bedroom equestrian facility for saleGagie House, Duntrune, Dundee, Angus, DD4
Under Offer £1,250,000
- Fortified Laird's House
- 4 reception rooms
- 8 bedrooms
- Impressive gardens
- 5 cottages
- Farm buildings
- Productive farmland
- Woods, marsh & pond
- EPC Rating = F
Gagie is pleasantly situated some 4 miles north of Broughty Ferry. Murroes primary school is a mile away. Secondary schooling is available in Monifieth and private schooling at Dundee High School. Dundee provides an excellent range of shops and professional services, together with good leisure facilities. It is an established centre of excellence in education and life sciences, and has renowned cultural facilities. There is a mainline railway station, with direct services to London and a regional airport with flights to London City, Belfast and Birmingham. There is also excellent shopping in Broughty Ferry.
Carnoustie, with its world famous golf course, which hosted the Open in 1999 and in 2007, is very easily reached. There are a number of other fine links courses in the area including Barry, Panmure and Monifieth. St Andrews is also within easy driving distance. There is sailing on the Tay and pleasant sandy beaches along the coast. The Angus Glens lie to the north. There is fishing at Kingennie, where there are four stocked lochans and a golf course.
The nearby A90 dual carriageway links Perth to Aberdeen via Dundee. From Perth the M90 links to Edinburgh, whilst the A9 and M9/M80 head to Stirling and Glasgow and the A9 heads north to Inverness. Edinburgh Airport is easily reached.
HISTORICAL AND ARCHITECTURAL NOTE
Gagie is a fascinating house, which was once the core of a much larger estate belonging to the Guthries of Guthrie or as the rhyme goes: -
'Guthries of Guthrie, Guthries of Gagie,
Guthries of Taybank and Guthries of Craigie'.
Gagie was in fact the dower house of Guthrie Castle and it was usually given to the eldest Guthrie son on his marriage. So most of the children of the main Guthrie line were born at Gagie through the generations.
The house was originally a small fortalice built around 1614, with 3-feet thick walls (which are still evident in the central part of the house) by William Guthrie, son of Sir Alexander Guthrie of that Ilk, and his wife, Isabella Leslie of Balquhan, whose coat of arms is still on the front of the house, together with a later senior Guthrie crest. Additions have been made to the house in every century. The mid-eighteenth century saw much building work, carried out by John and Jean Guthrie, who were given Gagie upon their marriage in 1732. They added the simple but elegant Georgian wing, containing the dining room and morning room (now the kitchen) and the old kitchen, and built the charming summer-house (1762) and the stable block (1759). Following a fire, in 1893 alterations were carried out to the central part of the house by James Maclaren & Sons, including the battlemented neo-Jacobean porch.
Charles McKean in Dundee An Illustrated Architectural Guide, 1993, describes how "the turreted gable of this petite mock-military country house projects into its walled garden, as a guardian of the delightful two-bay Doric summer house, a garderobe in the far corner of the garden, and the fine 17th century baluster sun-dial... Much extended in the later 18th century.... The present owners have restored the stables and summer house, the main house, the garden cottage, gate lodge and laundry in a continuous programme of work. To the complex they have added the Grange, a new brick and block building with turrets re-using a church roof."
John Gifford in The Buildings of Scotland, Dundee and Angus, published 2012, describes Gagie as a "two storey laird's house, the property of the Guthries from the 17th century until the 20th century, the walls covered in white harling and dressings of grey sandstone", and gives an extensive architectural description.
MacGibbon and Ross in the Castellated and Domestic Architecture of Scotland, first published in 1887-92, describes Gagie as a "small but interesting mansion house... Although it has been slightly altered in parts... it still retains a certain old fashioned aspect both regards the house and its surroundings."
Nigel Tranter in The Queen's Scotland: The Eastern Counties, 1972 mentions that Gagie House is a "mansion incorporating a small early 17th century fortalice on the T plan, harled and whitewashed, with two long angle turrets at the south gable. It has been much altered, at roof level especially, but remains a pleasing composition."
Gagie is a delightful small Angus estate, centred on a charming fortified laird's house, which dates from 1614 with later additions, particularly in the 1760s and in the 19th century. It is an historic house, of great charm, with elegant and well proportioned reception rooms and eight bedrooms. The house looks out over its own gardens and grounds. Within the estate there are five cottages, producing valuable rental income, farm buildings, including the Grange which has considerable potential for other uses, some 38.45 acres of farmland, together with woods and a marsh with a pond. In all the estate extends to some 90.36 acres. As such, it is an estate with a little bit of everything, and is ideally located for access north to Aberdeen and south to Dundee, Perth and central Scotland. The estate was acquired in the 1970s by Mr and Mrs France Smoor. He is a noted conservation architect with several castle restorations to his name and they set about making improvements to the property.
Gagie House is a most attractive harled house, with turrets and crowstepped gables, and a coat of arms over the front door. Since acquiring the property the current owners have redone the dining room wing which had been damaged by a fire, and made improvements to insulation, wiring and central heating. Most recently a new gasifying wood burning boiler was installed in 2010. This is fed by wood from the estate. It is a house of great character and is of a size that is ideal for both family living and for entertaining.
Fortified Laird's House with 4 reception rooms, 8 bedrooms and annexe. Impressive gardens. Five cottages. Farm buildings and productive farmland. Woods, marsh and pond with low ground shooting. In all about 90.36 acres.
SEE FLOOR PLANS AND PDF OF THE BROCHURE FOR MORE DETAILED INFORMATION
Square Footage: 6167 sq ft
Acreage: 90.36 Acres
From the A90 (Perth to Aberdeen dual carriageway) some 2 miles north of Dundee (or 11 miles south of Forfar) turn east, signposted to Shielhill and Kellas. Continue on this road for some 1.6 miles. At the war memorial turn right then immediately left signposted Kellas. After 0. 7 miles, and at the right hand corner, turn left. The entrance into Gagie will be seen straight ahead after 0.5 miles. Proceed up the drive.
More information from this agent
To view this media, please visit the on-line version of this page at www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-36023692.html
Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) graphs
Map & Street View
Street View is unavailable in this location
Disclaimer - Property reference BHS110163. The information displayed about this property comprises a property advertisement. Rightmove.co.uk makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the advertisement or any linked or associated information, and Rightmove has no control over the content. This property advertisement does not constitute property particulars. The information is provided and maintained by Savills, Brechin. Please contact the selling agent or developer directly to obtain any information which may be available under the terms of The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007 or the Home Report if in relation to a residential property in Scotland.
Map data ©OpenStreetMap contributors.