7 bedroom detached house for sale
Spring Lane, Burwash, Etchingham, East Sussex, TN19 7HX
like this property?Call 020 3324 6964
- Grade II Listed Manor House
- Kitchen/breakfast room
- 5 reception rooms
- Master bedroom suite, 6 further bedrooms
- Swimming pool and tennis court
- Office/workshop Studio
- American barn with 7 stables
- In all about 10 acres
Mottynsden Manor is situated in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty on the edge of the village of Burwash. Burwash is a pretty village which benefits from a wide range of local shopping facilities including a post office, convenience stores, butchers, hairdresser and florists, in addition to several pubs and restaurants. Further shopping and leisure opportunities can be found in Battle, Hastings, TunbridgeWells and Heathfield.
The A21 provides access toThe M25, Gatwick airport and Heathrow airport and the national motorway network.
Direct commuter rail services to London Bridge, Cannon Street, Waterloo East and Charing Cross are found at Stonegate and Etchingham stations.
There is a good selection of schools in the area including primary schools in Burwash, Dallington, PunnettsTown, Broad Oak and Stonegate; and community colleges in Heathfield and Robertsbridge. Good private schools in the area are Bricklehurst Manor School in Stonegate, St Leonards School for Girls in Mayfield, Vinehall School in Robertsbridge, Battle Abbey School and Tonbridge School.
The Manor of Mottingsden is first recorded in 1322 associated with John de Motyn. The present Manor house is Grade II listed and dates from the 17th century with later additions. The property is part tile hung and partly timber framed with mellow brick painted elevations, set under a tile roof. Internally the property has been updated by the current owners to a high standard and in keeping with the property's origins. Mottynsden Manor is a wonderfully light and spacious house, and is full of character. With seven bedrooms and extensive, well-proportioned living accommodation, the house is well adapted to both family life and entertaining alike. One of the pleasures of Mottynsden Manor is the magnificent setting; all of the principal rooms have stunning views across the beautiful gardens and the surrounding countryside.
The layout and full extent of the accommodation can be seen on the floor plans, but some of the rooms are worthy of a more detailed description:
• There is a triple aspect, bespoke kitchen/breakfast room with beautifully hand painted fitted cupboards, marble surfaces and an electric cooker range. The kitchen was completely updated by the current owners and benefits from double glazing and tile warmers. French doors lead off to the family room and courtyard to the north.
• The rear hallway, which can be accessed from the kitchen, leads into the study and through to the garden room. There is a cellar which is accessed via the garden room and single French door which lead out to a beautiful enclosed garden.
• The drawing room is a spacious, split-level room with a dual aspect over the gardens and a bay window to the east. There is an impressive inglenook fireplace with stone surround which covers the majority of the west wall.
• The less formal sitting room enjoys lovely south-facing views over the front garden. There is a door through to the flower room which has access out into the garden.
• The oak staircase leads up to the first floor landing. The master suite is a large, light room with views over the gardens to the front of the house. There is a dressing room at one end and at the other end are a few steps down to a well appointed en-suite shower room with double sized shower.
• There are six further bedrooms and three further bathrooms.
Gardens and Grounds
• The property is approached via a yew and beech hedged drive. Towards the end of the drive to the left hand side is a parking area for 3-4 cars.
• The extensive formal gardens are interspersed with mature trees and enclosed by topiary hedging. Stone and brick walls retain flower beds with an interesting variety of herbaceous plants and shrubs.
• There is a woodland walk with rhododendrons, azaleas and acers. York stone paths surround the house with a terrace boasting two magnificent magnolias.
• There is an orchard of fruit trees and cob nuts together with a heated outdoor swimming pool and wooden chalet pool house/changing room. This is reached by steps down from the York stone courtyard to the north of the house.
• The current owners put in a tennis court, which enjoys wonderful views over the surrounding countryside.
• There is an office/workshop which was restored and re-roofed last year and now provides a large open plan room. Attached to this room is a stable/store room and a further storage space, W.C. and potting shed. This building did get planning consent for a major conversion, and could provide spacious ancillary accommodation.
• There is a small studio/summer house in the corner of one of the lawns. This is currently used as an artist's studio and looks out over the beautifully manicured lawns and countryside beyond.
• Beyond the formal gardens, and next to the tennis court, is an American style barn with concrete yard and stabling for 7 horses.
From the centre of Burwash village, travel east on the A265 heading towards Heathfield. Leaving the village take the first right hand turn in to Spring Lane. After half a mile turn right in to an unnamed road and follow for a further 800 ft, the entrance to Mottynsden Manor will be found on your right hand side.