12 bedroom property for saleKirby Knowle Castle, Kirby Knowle, Thirsk
Withdrawn from Market £4,000,000
A landmark castle of Medieval origins, elevated and with exceptional rural views from its principal rooms and battlements that have barely changed since its construction. With extensive gardens and grounds of approximately 37 acres, a self-contained apartment, 2-bedroom cottage, parkland, paddocks, stables and woodland.
Main House: Reception hall, drawing room, family room, inner hall, 2 kitchens (each with a 4 oven Aga), snug, vaulted dining room, garden room
1st floor: Master bedroom suite, 4 further bedrooms (all en suite), study
2nd floor: Games room, studio, 3 further bedrooms, bathroom and other rooms
Cellar complex incorporating utility/store rooms, garaging
Self-contained apartment: Reception room, kitchen, bedroom, bathroom
Cottage: 2 reception rooms, kitchen, conservatory, 3 bedrooms, shower room
Grounds: Formal gardens, walled terrace, pond & fountain, parkland, paddocks, stables, woodland
In all 37.72 acres
It was Sir Roger de Lascelles who sought permission from Edward I to build a castle at Kirby Knowle. Construction began in the latter part of the 13th century on an elevated plateaux of land on the south western edge of the Hambleton Hills, providing the property with exceptional views over the Vale of Mowbray towards the Vale of York. Part of the castle was destroyed by fire in 1568, whilst in the ownership of St John Constable and the castle was left in a dilapidated state until it, and the surrounding estate, were bought by James Danby in 1653, who repaired the ruins using stone from the adjoining castle at Upsall, adding the south (front) and west wings. His work was continued by Sir Thomas Rokeby (a knight and one of the justices of the king’s Bench). During his lifetime Sir Thomas ‘Judge’ Rokeby was patronised by King William III and Mary Queen of Scots and it is believed that Mary
visited the castle on several occasions. Joseph Rokeby Esq inherited the castle in 1741 and he extended and improved the mansion, bringing to it many of the fashionable features of the period whilst retaining original features where possible including a priest hole in one of the thick walls. The final phase of alterations and additions took place in 1875 under the guidance of Charles Elsley who is documented to have rebuilt and remodelled ‘the mansion’ and ancillary buildings resulting in the present façade.
The present owners have continued the work of their predecessors, revitalising the house and its grounds, sympathetically updating the entire property in-keeping with its Grade II Listing, to include a full re-wire and a new central heating system. The period features have been carefully preserved and modern improvements sensitively inserted. The majority of rooms are perfectly proportioned, all blessed by copious amounts of natural light and arresting views. This is a statement house, large but not too large; a comfortable family home surrounded by beautiful grounds with some of the best views in the county. Beneath the ground floor is a self-contained 1 bedroom apartment, several utility rooms and cellar stores, a wine cellar and a garage. Just across the rear courtyard is also a separate 3 bedroom cottage, recently refurbished providing a space perfect for staff or long-term guests.
There are around 37 acres of grounds, consisting of some expansive lawned gardens to the south and west of the house, interspersed by several flagged terraces, retained in part by part of the original stone walling. There are several well maintained paddocks served by a separate stable block and attractive woodland belts to the east and west. The property is approached via a meandering tarmac driveway which climbs steadily up to a pillared walled entrance which gives way to a large gravel turning circle and parking area, centring around a clipped hedge and impressive statue.
Kirby Knowle Castle is situated in a particularly picturesque stretch of undulating North Yorkshire countryside, the chalk escarpment of Sutton Bank, the Yorkshire Dales and North Yorkshire Moors National Parks all being in view. Despite its peaceful rural surroundings, the property is conveniently close to the A19 which provides direct access to the nearby market towns of Thirsk and Northallerton, also linking to the A1 (M) leading to Harrogate and Leeds to the south. The area is home to some excellent public houses and restaurants and there are several noteworthy schools within easy reach including Aysgarth, Ripon Grammar, Cundall Manor, Ampleforth College and Queen Ethelburgas.
We are advised that the property is freehold and that vacant possession will be granted upon legal completion.
The property has mains electricity, a private septic tank for drainage and water is connected via a well system feeding 5 properties, each paying £200pa for the servicing of the filtration system and pump. There is oil fired central heating.
From the A19, heading north, follow signs to Knayton and Borrowby, taking the first right
once exiting the dual carriageway towards Knayton. Continue through the village and
onto a crossroads turning right towards Upsall. At the T-junction turn left and proceed for
approximately half a mile, at which point the entrance to Kirby Knowle Castle will be on
Map & Street View
Street View is unavailable in this location
Disclaimer - Property reference 6112181. The information displayed about this property comprises a property advertisement. Rightmove.co.uk makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the advertisement or any linked or associated information, and Rightmove has no control over the content. This property advertisement does not constitute property particulars. The information is provided and maintained by Blenkin & Co, York. Please contact the selling agent or developer directly to obtain any information which may be available under the terms of The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007 or the Home Report if in relation to a residential property in Scotland.
Map data ©OpenStreetMap contributors.