This property has been removed by the agent.It may be sold or temporarily removed from the market View similar properties
6 bedroom house for sale
The North Canonry, The Cathedral Close,Salisbury, Wiltshire
- 4 reception rooms, 6 bedrooms
- Large basement / wine cellars
- Formal gardens and grounds
- Fishing rights on River Avon
- Belvedere summer house
Salisbury is located in south Wiltshire, a location which is as beautiful as it is varied, characterised by rolling chalk downlands and tree-lined river valleys. The City of Salisbury stands proudly within the landscape and is known as the "City in the countryside". Salisbury is awash with: historic streets and alleyways, charming half timber buildings, traditional English eating houses and characterful shopping streets not to mention a superb range of attractions, including the UK's finest medieval cathedral.
Salisbury is conveniently located for the World Heritage sites of Stonehenge, Salisbury Cathedral, Longleat and Stourhead Gardens along with a wide range of less well known but equally lovely stately homes, beautiful gardens, lively farm parks and award winning museums. There is horse racing at Salisbury and some of the finest trout streams in England nearby. The River Test is 23 miles away, the River Avon runs along the garden of the North Canonry and has its confluence with the River Nadder close to the summerhouse. Salisbury is easily accessible with its good road links, with the A303 nearby, providing access to London and the south west via the M3.
The North Canonry is one of the most picturesque buildings in the Cathedral Close, pre Reformation, C16 and later by Sir George Gilbert Scott. The 16th Century house is fashioned within the shell of a much larger 13th Century house. The principal rooms appear always to have been in the East part of the house facing the Cathedral. In 1547 Canon Robert Okyng remodelled the house and added the magnificent ashlar bay window with its polygonal angle buttresses and curious cellar light. The room became known as the Great Parlour with the Great Chamber above. The house itself is poorly documented until 1547 but from that time there is a comprehensive list of all the tenants and the reconstruction work carried out over the centuries. The property over the years has undergone a variety of additions and alterations which more recently include a complete refurbishment of the house. Works include the removal of old plumbing and radiators and the installation of new wiring, a new kitchen, bathroom and underfloor heating on the ground and first floors.
The Cathedral Close enjoys excellent day and night time security. Traffic constables are employed at the North Gate (High Street Gate) to restrict and monitor vehicle accsess. This gate is locked between 10.30pm and 7am with residents having their own key. The South Gate (Harnham Gate) is exit only and is locked between 10pm and 7am. The property is fronted by magnificent oak gates which open to an impressive arched entrance between The North Canonry and the Gatehouse.
A gravel drive leads under the arch into the large parking area and flagstone steps lead to a studded oak door that opens to:
Large reception hall with stairs to galleried landing and doors leading to: Sitting Room / Music Room with open fire, oak panelling and a magnificent ashlar stone bay window triple aspect over The Close and Cathedral. Historically this room is known as the Great Parlour since its remodelling in the C16. Dining Room of fantastic Regency proportion and views over The Close. Custom crafted convertible billiard/dining table commissioned specifically for this room from Sir William Bentley Billiards. Regency Drawing Room with fireplace and spectacular views over Salisbury Cathedral from the three deep window seats and a beautiful ancient oak floor. Cloak Room with WC and washbasin. Kitchen / Breakfast Room, with a range of base units and cupboards with wooden and granite work surfaces. There is four door Aga, NEFF fan oven, NEFF twin electric hob, limestone floor with doors leading to the garden. Study. Light, airy room with stationery store. Library with brick fireplace and wood burning stove and fitted oak shelving and floor. From here a door leads to a rear pantry with separate cloak room with WC and sink unit. There is a back door to the Garden.Basement, from the kitchen a studded wooden door opens to limestone steps leading down to the cellars. These are well arranged providingnumerous rooms including ample storage and a wine cellar, pantry, flower room, two large store rooms and boiler room.
From the reception hall the stairs rise to a galleried landing with doors opening to: Master bedroom suite, east facing from a magnificent ashlar stone bay window with triple aspect views over The Close and Cathedral. This room historically is known as the Great Chamber since its remodelling in the C16. The bathroom has a central panelled bath with doors to cupboard and also leading to a separate shower room with walk-in shower, bidet, WC and basin unit. Guest bedroom suite, west facing with views over the garden, River Avon and Harnham Water Meadows, with en suite bathroom and dressing room. There are four additional bedrooms, two of which benefit from en suite accommodation and one with floor to ceiling Thomas and
Thomas fitted wardrobes.
The Garden is rectangular in shape and is enclosed by C18 walls and extends for 180 metres from the rear (west) of the house to the River Avon, which forms its western boundary. During the late C19, the garden then managed by Canon Buchanan, was admired by the garden designer Gertrude Jekyll, who described it in her book, Wood and Garden 1899 " - one of the most beautiful gardens I have ever seen."Adjoining the house is a paved terrace decorated with roses, clematis and kerria. Small box hedges enclose seasonal planting. A modern fish pond divides the terrace from the inner lawn, where two delightful specimens, the giant ginkgo and ancient mulberry can be found. Beyond the lawn is a full width brick wall with wrought iron gates. Through the gates, there is a 100m double herbaceous border where the majority of the shrubs and perennials are found. The borders are
flanked by lawns, ornamental trees and fruit trees. The grass walk between the borders leads through a pair of sculptured yews and on to the River Avon with Harnham Water Meadows beyond. The garden has undergone a thorough restoration by the Garden designer John Brookes and more recently the banks of the River Avon have been restored and a new glasshouse constructed, clearly designed to mirror the roofline of the North Canonry.
To the north west of the house there is a two storey former stable block with four traditional loose boxes and hayloft, constructed of flint elevations under a tiled roof. There is also a gravelled parking area for up to six cars.
The former Gatehouse attached to the North Canonry is included within the sale of the North Canonry. The Gatehouse is let on a long lease expiring on 24th December 2043.
The Summerhouse was designed circa 1720 for the garden of Arundells to whom the plot of land was leased out, we understand it reverted to The North Canonry probably soon after 1800. The Summerhouse is 4 x 4 metres on both floors and is built of brick with dressings of stone and plaster.
The Close Wall
Edward III gave permission for The Close to be walled in 1327. Continuous walls are found on the north, east and south of The Close. The west side, flanked by the River Avon, was also formerly walled but the only surviving section of this wall is in the garden of the North Canonry, standing 12.2 metres from the riverbank. The current owners have sympathetically restored this Close wall within the North Canonry.
From London: Take the M3 from London and exit at junction 8 onto the A303 towards Andover / Salisbury, then take the exit for the A343 and continue onto the A30. At St Mark's Roundabout, take the 2nd exit onto the A36 at New Bridge Roundabout at the New Bridge Roundabout, take the 3rd exit onto Exeter Street, turn left onto New Street. Then continue for a short distance and turn left on to the High Street where you will see the gate to The Close. Please inform the traffic constable you are visiting The North Canonry.