This property has been removed by the agent. It may be sold or temporarily removed from the market

View similar properties

3 bedroom semi-detached house for sale

Hall Street, Todmorden

Sold STC £350,000

Property Description

Full description

Tenure: Freehold

The Old Hall in Todmorden, currently a restaurant, is a superb historical building steeped in original features and as a whole creates a truly atmospheric experience. Now with guidance from English Heritage plans are in place to transform the building to form two truly delightful residences, which offer potential for a variety of uses eg bed and breakfast premises, small restaurant or quite simply could be a most delightful family home.

Sumptuous and spectacular are words that spring to mind about the South Wing, as this part of the historical residence is home to perhaps the oldest section of the Old Hall and retains many original features, fixtures and fittings including a huge impressive stone feature fireplace, mullioned windows, fabulous stone steps, part of a minstrels gallery and an old studded entrance door, which contains 365 studs - one for every day of the year. The property enjoys manicured gardens, private driveway and parking and cottage garden to the rear, with access to the rear door up the old "takkin in steps", which show evidence of wear from piece workers footfall. {See "Historical Detail, also The Old Hall in its entirety under Ref No 06434 and Old Hall North Ref No 6450}

Forget Downton Abbey - this is grandeur Calderdale style - an appointment to view is a must.

Property Reference 06451







Agents Notes

Historical Detail
A Brief History
The Grade II* Listed Todmorden Old Hall, built of millstone grit is a striking example of Elizabethan handiwork. Its great spreading front has five vary-sized pinnacle capped gables and at the apex of each there is a carved finial. Its clusters of finely mullioned windows overhanging sills testify to the artistic architecture of another generation.

The present edifice is largely built around a more ancient timber home (some medieval timbers and wattle and daub are still in evidence). In an undated deed (probably of the 13th century) the owner of Todmorden Hall and lands which later became the manor of Todmorden is given as Thomas de la Dene. The earliest recording of the Hall is in 1294 when John de la Dene, thought to be the grandson of Thomas, granted to Alice, the daughter of William de Radcliffe all of his land and services in Todmorden with the Hall subsequently becoming the manor house of Todmorden and was in the Radcliffe family for the next 400 years.
The Radcliffes were Earls of Sussex (a title now defunct), the crest and garter appearing at the top of the beautifully carved mantelpiece bear testimony to this. The Radcliffes are also the same family of Oxford university fame. The Radcliffe most associated with Todmorden Hall is Savile Radcliffe who in 1603, stone enclosed the Hall and enlarged the building.

The drawing room is remarkable for fine oak panelling and for a beautifully carved oak mantelpiece, one of the finest of its kind in the country (thought to be dated around 1620). The centre piece of the mantelpiece commemorates the marriage of Savile Radcliffe to Katherine Hyde, (daughter of Robert Hyde of Norbury Cheshire and the great uncle of Edward Hyde the Earl of Clarendon) and carries the family mottos Natale Solv Dulce (Sweet is your native soil) and Ama Virtuem (love virtue). The mantelpiece also contains several coats of arms of notable local families such as Towneley, Holt, Saville and Nowell.

Todmorden Hall passed from the Radcliffes in 1717 when Roger Mainwaring, husband of Elizabeth Radcliffe (Savile's grand daughter) sold it to John Fielden, great uncle of Joshua Fielden the founder of Fielden Bros, the great cotton patriarchs of the town. John bequeathed it to his son Abraham and the Hall became a fine merchant clothiers house. The evidence to this still exists at the rear of the building with the takkin in steps where piece workers came and collected the raw goods and returned the finished articles. The first three steps show the wear of the piece workers footfall.

After the death of Abraham Fielden it was purchased by Anthony Crossley whose daughter married James Taylor of Whitworth, one of the nationally famous 'Whitworth Doctors' whereupon the Hall then became Taylor's surgery and hospital as well as his home. James Taylor had a national reputation and treated such luminaries as The Bishop of Durham and the Princess Royal.
James Taylor was also the magistrate for the town and the Hall was thus the centre of attention in November 1838 when during the Poor Law riots of that time a riotous mob gathered outside the Hall and finally broke in damaging furniture and an ornate plaster frieze. A surviving portion of the frieze can still be seen today in one of the upstairs rooms.

At the start of the 20th Century the Hall was acquired by The Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway Company and, astonishingly, the Hall was threatened with demolition as part of a railway expansion scheme. The Office of Works, however, stepped in and acquired the Hall for it to become the main Post Office for the town from 1921 until it was closed in 1969.

In the 1930's a huge stone fireplace was uncovered. The fireplace is some 5 yards wide and is spanned by 3 arches the lowest one being 4 feet from the floor and the highest some 10 feet. It is out of proportion to the size of the room and harks back to a time before the 18th century after which many rooms were made smaller and the minstrel's gallery now just serves a small area over the original old studded door (which contains 365 studs- 1 for every day of the year) which on the exterior has Savile Radcliffe's coat of arms carved in stone above the door.
Calderdale Council acquired the then dormant building in the 1970s and around that time it became used as a restaurant. Nick and Madeleine Hoyle acquired the building in 1998 and then became the first private owners of Todmorden Hall for over a century. The Hall now houses one of the finest restaurants around with a focus on high quality local ingredients-holding true to the ancient Radcliffe mote natale solv dulce or one's native soil is sweet. The Hall was visited by Prince Charles in 2010, as part of his visit to the town, after Madeleine & Nick produced a notable menu consisting of ingredients exclusively from Todmorden.



Ground Floor

Entrance Porch
Front Entrance Hall
Reception Room 1
Superb Versatile Reception Room
Kitchen
Store
Wine Store


First Floor

Split Level Landing
Bedroom 1
En-Suite
Bedroom 2
Superb Lounge Area
Kitchen Area
Office
Bathroom


Outside



More information from this agent

Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs)

Listing History

Added on Rightmove:
10 August 2012

To view this property or request more details, contact:

Anthony J Turner, Hebden Bridge

22/24 Bridge Gate, Hebden Bridge, HX7 8EX

01422 757044 Local call rate

How much will it cost me to call the number displayed on the site?

Standard geographic charges from landlines and mobiles apply and calls may be included in your telecom provider's call package.

Disclaimer

Property reference 06451. The information displayed about this property comprises a property advertisement. Rightmove.co.uk makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the advertisement or any linked or associated information, and Rightmove has no control over the content. This property advertisement does not constitute property particulars. The information is provided and maintained by Anthony J Turner, Hebden Bridge. Please contact the selling agent or developer directly to obtain any information which may be available under the terms of The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007 or the Home Report if in relation to a residential property in Scotland.