Character Property for saleDuddo, Berwick upon Tweed, Northumberland
Sold STC POA
- Planning Consent for a Five Bedroom Dwelling
- Grade II Listed
- Site extends to1.02 acres
- Building extends to 200sq m
- Sandstone Construction
- Open to offers
All Saints Church is a Grade II listed building. It is offered for sale following its closure. The church is constructed of sandstone under pitched slate roofs. The site extends to approximately 1.02 acres, the church itself extends to approximately 200sq m. Planning consent has been granted for conversion to a single dwelling. The Vendors Agents are willing to note or accept expressions of interest for uses which do not fall within this description.
Situation & Amenities
Berwick upon Tweed 7 miles, Newcastle 60 miles, Edinburgh 63 miles.
Duddo is a rural parish in the County of Northumberland six miles to the south of Berwick upon Tweed where there are a wide range of amenities which include local and national retailers and educational opportunities at all levels. For the commuter the East Coast Mainline at Berwick upon Tweed and airports at Newcastle and Edinburgh provide transport links to wider commercial centres.
The marketing of this property is undertaken for the Church Commissions for England (Charity Registration Number 1140097) who will determine the appropriate use and will act as Vendor.
All Saints Church is a Grade II listed building and is offered for sale following its closure for regular public worship.
The church is a detached building comprising a single main space with aisle, nave and chancel with bell tower and spire. The church has leaded glass windows in the northern, southern and eastern elevations of the property and are key features of the building.
The church is set in approximately 1.02 acres. The churchyard is still in use and the vendor will reserve burial rights and the right for persons wishing to visit and tend graves. The area edged red on the attached plan defines the boundaries of the property being offered for sale.
Planning permission and Listed Building Consent has been obtained for the conversion of the church to a single five bedroom dwelling. The permissions obtained are referenced as below.
Planning Reference: 10/B/0558 and 07/B/0302
Listed Building Consent Reference: 11/B/0037 grants permission for a five bedroom detached dwelling.
The Local Authority is Northumberland County Council
Planning Northern Area
0845 600 6400
Rights, Wayleaves & Easements
The property will be sold subject to and with the benefit of any rights of way, wayleaves, easement or quasi-easements which might exist in respect of the property.
The site can be viewed externally and unaccompanied. For internal access please contact the joint selling agents Retties 01289 305158.
Method Of Sale
The site is offered for sale by private treaty. Prospective purchasers are invited to submit offers incorporating the following information:
- Proposed use
- Proposed financial offer
- Proof of the availability of funds for the offer
- Any alterations which you would wish to make to the building beyond those already consented.
- The vendor shall consider all bids against the following criteria:
- Anticipated planning acceptability
- Suitability of use in relation to previous religious use
- Financial receipts available
- Impact on the building
The property is to be sold subject to the Church Commissioners' covenants which will be discussed with the purchaser, but which will include controls over future use and alterations and protection for windows and memorials.
The vendor will determine which if any bids should be taken further. The vendor may seek assurance through a business plan or other information as to the initial and long term viability of the use proposals.
The Church Commissioners will sanction the disposal and in doing so have to undertake certain legal formalities before completing the sale of the property. Purchasers should be aware that those procedures will not commence until evidence has been provided indicating a favourable response from the Planning Authority. It is usual for planning permission and listed building consent to be in place before completing the sale of a church.
Legal Office of the Church of England
Great Smith Street
London SW1P 3AZ
Whilst every care has been taken in the preparation of these particulars, all interested parties should note:
1. The description and photographs are for guidance only and are not a complete representation of the property
2. Plans are not to scale, are for guidance only and do not form part of the contract
3. No survey of any part of the property has been carried out by the Vendor or GSC Grays
4. Services and any appliances referred to have not been tested, and cannot be verified as being in working order
5. Measurements are approximate and must not be relied upon. Maximum appropriate room sizes are generally given, to the nearest 0.1 metres. Outbuildings are measured externally (unless otherwise stated) to the nearest 0.5 metres. Unless otherwise stated, field measurements are taken from Ordnance Survey data in a digital mapping system.
6. Only those items referred to in the text of these particulars are included
7. Nothing in these particulars or any related discussions forms part of any contract unless it is expressly incorporated within a subsequent written agreement
8. All plans are reproduced from the Ordnance Survey map with the sanction of the Controller of Stationery Office. Licence number 100043842. Crown copyright reserved.
Joint Selling Agents
GSC Grays are joint selling agents with Retties, Berwick upon Tweed Tel: 01289 305158.
Prepared March 2013
Photographs March 2013
You may download, store and use the material for your own personal use and research. You may not republish, retransmit, redistribute or otherwise make the material available to any party or make the same available on any website, online service or bulletin board of your own or of any other party or make the same available in hard copy or in any other media without the website owner's express prior written consent. The website owner's copyright must remain on all reproductions of material taken from this website.
Map & Street View
Street View is unavailable in this location
Disclaimer - Property reference 10003578A_3578. The information displayed about this property comprises a property advertisement. Rightmove.co.uk makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the advertisement or any linked or associated information, and Rightmove has no control over the content. This property advertisement does not constitute property particulars. The information is provided and maintained by GSC Grays, Richmond. Please contact the selling agent or developer directly to obtain any information which may be available under the terms of The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007 or the Home Report if in relation to a residential property in Scotland.
Map data ©OpenStreetMap contributors.