This property has been removed by the agent.It may be sold or temporarily removed from the market View similar properties
5 bedroom house for sale
Luffenham House, 22 Church Street, Chesterton, Cambridge, CB4 1DT
- 4,007 sq ft, 5 bedrooms
- 5 reception rooms
- 3 bathrooms
- Off street parking
- Attractive walled gardens
Luffenham House is situated in the old part of Chesterton, originally a village separated by the river from Cambridge, now linked by excellent pedestrian, cycle and road connections to the City Centre with all its shopping cultural and recreational amenities and also to schools in both southerly and westerly directions. It offers the charm of being a riverside village with easy walking access to both City and countryside as well as being close to practical large scale shopping areas along Newmarket Road and the convenience of its own small scale shops along the High Street. City and university rowing clubs are close at hand as are pleasant riverside walks to Midsummer Common, Stourbridge Common and Fen Ditton. Cycling access to Cambridge station is manageable for a daily commute at approximately 15-20 minutes (2.3 miles) however, the proposed new Chesterton station will be within a mile of the house (due to open in 2014). The proximity of the A14 offers ready access to the major road networks whilst the Sustrans cycle network leads out of the City along the river and away to a number of enjoyable rides. Cambridge Regional College is also close at hand together with access to the Science Park and St John's Innovation Centre on the northern fringes of the City.
Luffenham House is a generous Grade II listed double fronted house of Regency origins built of Cambridge Gault brick with sash windows under a slate roof. Built in 1834 on land forming part of the Manor of Chesterton the house was extended in 1912 to its present size. The current owners have planned and executed a great deal of sympathetic renovation and improvement work to the property over recent years and the result is a fine family house which retains many period features but with modern convenience and design incorporated. The well proportioned accommodation extends to 4,007 sq ft laid out over two floors with original cellars beneath part of the ground floor. A number of the rooms have open fireplaces, and the section of the house which was added to the original building in 1912 contains bay windowed dining and family rooms at ground floor level and a pair of double bedrooms above also with wide bays. The main drawing room is well proportioned, faces south and has an attractive open fireplace. The kitchen has a two oven Aga and an array of bespoke handmade kitchen cabinetry and a central marble topped island unit together with a range of integrated appliances. Both the kitchen and dining rooms have direct access to the walled garden. The master bedroom suite also faces south and has an en suite bathroom and a large dressing room with a good range of built in wardrobe cupboards. In addition to the main house there is a converted former stable building which houses a large home office.
The combination of a fine period house with a private walled garden close to the river with access to both the City Centre and countryside give the property considerable appeal.
The house is set behind reclaimed iron railings backed by a mature yew hedge. York stone path lead into a lawned front garden with two mature Magnolia trees and the impressive front elevation is draped with a mature wisteria and a Quince.
To the rear there is vehicular access through electrically operated remote controlled gates into a cobbled courtyard. To one side is a shingled area with bicycle storage, a timber garden shed and the brick built former stable building, now converted to a limestone floored office with power, light and phone lines laid on. A gap in a woven willow fence opposite leads into the walled garden which is laid mainly to lawn with a mature Mulberry tree, a small feature pond with fountain and a York stone terrace. Beside the pond is a former wash house of brick construction under a tiled roof.
Adjacent to the property and separately accessed is a converted former coach house, which provides characterful one bedroom accommodation and its own gated off street parking. The property is currently let on an Assured Shorthold Tenancy and may be available by separate negotiation. Further information is available from the vendor's sole agents.
4,007 sq ft, entrance hall, drawing room, sitting room, dining room, family room and study, kitchen/breakfast room, utility/cloakroom WC, 5/6 double bedrooms, bedroom 6/ dressing room en suite shower room, family bathroom and en suite bathroom room, cellars
Garden office in converted stable building, secure gated off street parking, former wash house, attractive walled gardens.
1 bedroom annexe conversion (available by separate negotiation)
In all 0.19 of an acre.
From Cambridge City Centre proceed eastwards along Chesterton Road and at the Elizabeth Way roundabout continue straight onto Chesterton High Street, turn right into Chapel Street the second turning on the right and then turn left into Church Street. The property is on the left hand side opposite "Pye Terrace" the turning to Camside.