7 bedroom detached house for saleWynters Armourie, Magdalen Laver, Ongar
Sold STC £1,200,000
- Entrance lobby
- Dining hall
- Kitchen/breakfast room
- Dining room
- Drawing room
- Summer room
- 7 bedrooms
- 2 bathrooms
- Shower room
Wynters Armourie dates from the 13th century and is almost certainly one of the oldest moated hall houses in Essex. The name “Wynters” is from the family of Alice de Winter, who was first mentioned in 1248 and Armourie possibly due to the fact that history suggests the area was occupied by Oliver Cromwell and his troops and the property was an armoury during the civil war.
This handsome heavily timbered house is traditionally constructed, with a frame of oak with evenly spaced vertical timbers inlaid with plaster, under a tiled roof. The house was designated a Grade II* Listed building in the 1950s and the moat and island are an Ancient Monument. There were significant alterations to the house in the 16th century and it was extensively restored in 1935 and again in the late 1990s.
The accommodation is mainly arranged over two floors, although there are rooms in the attic. All rooms have considerable character with generous ceiling heights and exposed timbers. There are up to five reception rooms, a kitchen/breakfast room, and approached by two main staircases, seven bedrooms, two bathrooms and a shower room. In January 2012 planning consent was granted to enlarge the existing kitchen/family room, reshape the second staircase to improve access and create a new master bedroom with an en suite bathroom. Ref: EPF/2269/11 and English Heritage Scheduled Monument Consent SM33251.HA1016804.
For those working in the City, it would be difficult to find a significantly easier commute, as the property lies less than two miles from junction 7 of the M11, the Central Line station at Epping is within a fifteen minute drive, there are regular trains from Harlow Mill to Tottenham Hale, London Liverpool Street and Cambridge. The surrounding countryside is remarkably unspoilt.
The house is easily accessed along a country lane to a gated access which leads to a driveway, where there is generous parking. There is a terrace to the front and side of the house which fronts onto the moat. A driveway beside the house leads to a garage and store room. The grounds are easily maintained, laid to lawn with shrubs and farmland on three sides. The moat runs close to the boundary of the property and is enclosed by a picket fence. The site extends to about 1.25 acres.
Property ref: 121_455_3961433
Map & Street View
Street View is unavailable in this location
Disclaimer - Property reference 3961433. The information displayed about this property comprises a property advertisement. Rightmove.co.uk makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the advertisement or any linked or associated information, and Rightmove has no control over the content. This property advertisement does not constitute property particulars. The information is provided and maintained by Mullucks Wells, Bishops Stortford. Please contact the selling agent or developer directly to obtain any information which may be available under the terms of The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007 or the Home Report if in relation to a residential property in Scotland.
Map data ©OpenStreetMap contributors.