Get brand editions for Michael Graham, Aylesbury

This property has been removed by the agent. It may be sold or temporarily removed from the market

View similar properties

5 bedroom detached house for sale

High Street, Long Crendon, Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, HP18

Offers Over £1,000,000

Property Description

Key features

  • Grade II listed 15th century detached cottage
  • Four/five bedrooms, two bathrooms
  • Four/five reception rooms
  • Bespoke solid oak kitchen/breakfast room
  • Utility room, cellar
  • Versatile contemporary accommodation
  • Private south facing landscaped rear garden
  • Aylesbury grammar school catchment

Full description

Tenure: Freehold

A Grade II listed late 15th century detached thatched cottage on the High Street with a private south facing landscaped garden and versatile contemporary accommodation. The oldest part of the house dates back to 1490 and there have been later additions made in the 17th century, the 1970s and, most recently, in 2010 when the garden room was created. The current owners have restored and refurbished the 2,434 sq. ft. of accommodation and have created a successful blending of contemporary and original features. The kitchen/breakfast room has been fitted with bespoke solid oak units with German integrated appliances and the bathrooms have been refitted with new suites. Historic features revealed during the restoration include original floors, and a priest hole in the master bedroom. Other original features include an inglenook fireplace, open fires, and stone and quarry tiled flooring. The garden room provides entertaining space with bi-fold doors to the garden.

Entrance Vestibule and Snug 
A timber door opens to the entrance vestibule which has a stone floor and stairs to the first floor. It is open plan with the snug which overlooks the front and has an original quarry tiled floor, an exposed brick wall and exposed beams. In addition, there is a brick fireplace with an inset beam above and a wood burning stove and a feature corner storage cupboard with shelving above. A door leads to the utility and cloakrooms.

Sitting Room and Dining Room 
The sitting room also has a front aspect, exposed beams and an original quarry tiled floor. There is an inglenook fireplace with feature seats, a brick hearth, a black canopy hood and an open fire. A door leads through to the dining room which is triple aspect, has a slate floor and a brick fireplace with a black canopy hood and a coal effect gas fire.

Study/Bedroom Five 
The study/bedroom five is dual aspect with views of the rear garden. There is solid wood flooring, stripped exposed beams, and a stone and brick fireplace with an inset beam above and a quarry tiled hearth. To one side of the fireplace, there is built-in arched shelving with a storage cupboard beneath.

Other Bedrooms 
Bedroom two has a side aspect with distant views of The Chilterns. There are exposed beams and exposed floor timbers. Bedroom three overlooks the front, and has a feature fire breast and exposed beams. Bedroom four also has a front aspect and a range of built-in shelved cupboards and space for a hanging rail.

Family Bathroom 
The family bathroom comprises a three piece suite of a corner Jacuzzi bath, a shower cubicle with a power shower, and a wash basin. There are exposed beams and frosted glass bricks allow natural light. There is a separate WC.

First Floor Master Bedroom 
The landing overlooks the rear garden and has built-in book shelving and built-in shelved storage cupboards. This part of the landing has the potential to be used as a dressing area. The master bedroom is dual aspect with views of the rear garden. The feature fireplace has a white canopy hood and a brick hearth. A priest hole was revealed to one side of the fireplace and has since been made into a shelved cupboard. A built-in wardrobe provides hanging space and the ceiling is vaulted with exposed beams. The en suite shower room comprises a walk-in shower with a power shower, a wash basin, a WC and a built-in shelved cupboard with glazed doors.

The cellar is accessed via stone steps at the rear of the cottage. The cellar is used for storage and has a feature arched shelf and power and light connected.

Burnham Cottage has a cobbled path along the front for pots and climbing roses around the door. A stone wall surrounds the gravelled driveway which has parking for up to five cars. A gate leads to the landscaped south facing rear garden which is principally laid to lawn with a travertine flagstone patio and a loggia spanning the cottage with a cobbled seating area beneath. There are flower and shrub borders with specimen shrubs, a rockery and a feature well. In addition, there is a wild woodland garden with apple trees and surrounded by a path. To the rear of the garden, there is a timber storage shed with power and light connected. The brick outhouse was originally a double WC and is now used for storage. The private garden is surrounded by a stone wall, fencing and mature hedging, and a further side gate leads to the front of the cottage.

History and Heritage 
Burnham Cottage dates back to 1490 and was originally two cottages (numbers 26 and 28 High Street). Number 28 was an inn which was first registered in 1780 when kept by William Fuller under the sign of The Three Horseshoes. It remained with the Fullers until it closed after George Fuller moved to The Churchill Arms. The licensees of The Three Horseshoes were William Fuller: 1780 – 1799, John Fuller: 1800, Ann Fuller (spinster): 1801, and George Fuller: 1803 – 1828.

Kitchen/Breakfast Room 
The kitchen/breakfast room is dual aspect with a stable door to the garden and a further door to the driveway. There is a range of bespoke solid oak storage units, drawers, pan drawers, glass display cabinets with lights, display shelving, shelved larder cupboards, a broom cupboard and black granite work surfaces. In addition, there are two inset sinks and a central island with further storage including a terracotta tiled wine rack, tray storage and drawers. A breakfast bar is provided with seating for five. Integrated appliances include a De Dietrich double oven and an AEG five ring gas hob with an extractor hood above. Space is provided for an American style fridge/freezer and a dishwasher. The flooring is laid with ceramic tiles with underfloor heating.

Garden Room 
The garden room overlooks the rear garden and has glazed bi-folding doors opening to the paved patio. There is a wood burning stove set on a Welsh slate hearth with a slate tile surround and a feature stained glass window above. The ceiling is vaulted with exposed oak beams and the floor is laid with ceramic tiles with underfloor heating and inset spot lights.

Utility Room and Cloakroom 
The utility room has a door to the rear garden, a quarry tiled floor and space for a washing machine and a tumble dryer. The cloakroom includes a two piece suite of a wash basin and a WC.

Long Crendon 
Long Crendon or simply Crendon, as it was known in the Middle Ages, has a long archaeological history. At Church End a concentration of artefacts from the Iron Age, Roman and Saxon periods have been unearthed. After the Norman invasion of 1066, the manor of Crendon was given to Walter Giffard, Lord of Longueville, one of William the Conqueror’s major supporters. The Giffards are said to have chosen Crendon as their chief manor and built a castle, which may have been destroyed in 1233. Foundations of a large building were discovered in the area in 1705.

Long Crendon today 
Long Crendon, as we know it today, is a popular village with amenities including a post office, a village shop, a coffee shop, restaurants, public houses, a church, a library and Long Crendon school. The historic High Street, where Burnahm Cottage is situated, was mentioned in a recent Times article describing the 30 top High Streets in villages. It is situated 15 miles from the city of Oxford and 9.5 miles from the county town of Aylesbury. The market town of Thame is approximately 2 miles away and provides a variety of shops, boutiques, supermarkets, restaurants and Lord Williams’s Secondary School. The property is also within catchment of Aylesbury’s grammar schools.

History continued 
There are numerous references in the Parish records to members of the Burnham family, who lived at 26 High Street, starting with Robert in 1515. They were mainly farmers or tradesmen. The property was held by a succession of Burnhams: Robert until 1524, Henry in 1560, Rowland (a mason) in 1592 and Thomas in 1633.

More information from this agent

Listing History

Added on Rightmove:
19 April 2016

Map & Street View

Disclaimer - Property reference AYL150179. The information displayed about this property comprises a property advertisement. makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the advertisement or any linked or associated information, and Rightmove has no control over the content. This property advertisement does not constitute property particulars. The information is provided and maintained by Michael Graham, Aylesbury. Please contact the selling agent or developer directly to obtain any information which may be available under the terms of The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007 or the Home Report if in relation to a residential property in Scotland.

Map data OpenStreetMap contributors.