5 bedroom equestrian facility for saleMonkredding House, Kilwinning, Ayrshire, KA13
Offers Over £599,000
Monkredding House surrounds three sides of a square, open to the north. The west wing, (apart from the garden room) and part of the stair-tower are the oldest parts. The 17th century building was enlarged by the Millers, and re-orientated when the house was extended to the south, with the addition of the principal facade and central entrance. The house was recorded as a roofless ruin in 1895. In 1906 it was restored by the McAlisters, to plans by Hugh Thomson, a JP and architect working in Saltcoats, who also built the porch and probably the Gate Lodge.
Monkredding House is listed Category B by Historic Scotland and is succinctly described by Rob Close in Ayrshire and Arran, an Illustrated Architectural Guide (1992) as "a delight". Monkredding successfully blends Baronial, Georgian and Victorian architecture.
The house is of painted finish under a slated roof and is entered via an entrance vestibule to broad reception hallway, drawing room, dining room, cloaks/shower room, pleasant open plan morning/breakfast room to well equipped kitchen with Aga range type cooker. Inner hallway with door to rear gardens, rear turret stair to west facing garden room (a 1970's addition).
First floor, by stone staircase to split landing to bedroom 2 with bathroom at side (guest accommodation), linen stores, main landing to bedroom 1 (formerly the drawing room) bathroom, Jack & Jill to small inner hallway and bedroom 3 with wash hand basin, en suite dressing room, door to hall leading to back turret stair and wash/laundry room with twin Belfast sinks and ceiling mounted pulley.
Second floor, by secondary stair case to second floor level of bedroom 4 with en suite bathroom, bedroom 5 with wash hand basin, en suite bathroom and door to long term attic stores. Stone tower stairs to turret.
Outbuildings (Monkredding House)
Attached at the rear are 2 loose boxes, old tack room converted to home office, detached triple car garaging, lean to, garden equipment stores, pretty stone folly.
Gardens & Grounds
White harled gate piers in bell mouth entry to tree lined avenue over stone bridge to gravel surfaced vehicle turning and hard standing apron. Lawns and paddocks in parkland style bounded by county style timber fencing, mature trees at the fringes, well stocked beds and borders, brick and stone wall at eastern side protecting croquet lawn.
Monkredding House has some 13 acres of fields to permanent pasture and amenity woodlands.
Detached stone built gate lodge, outer door to entrance vestibule leading via French doors to front gardens, utility room, home office, dining kitchen, sitting room with open fireplace, inner hallway and staircase to the first floor.
Bedroom 1 with fitted and mirrored wardrobes, bedroom 2 with fitted wardrobe, bedroom 3, bathroom.
Garage or general purpose store with dilapidated stable at the rear, a total of 9 loose boxes, tack and feed stores, general purpose hay and implements shed.
All weather sand surfaced manege.
Level lawn at the front of the house bounded by mature hedge, well stocked beds and borders.
Monkredding House is situated in a pretty woodland sheltered location about 2 miles to the north east of the Ayrshire town of Kilwinning. The parcel of land and property assets at Monkredding is bounded by mature, semi ancient native woodland and farmland.
Kilwinning is located on the banks of the River Garnock and is neighboured by the coastal towns of Stevenson, Ardrossan and Saltcoats to the west, and Irvine to the south. In the mid-1960s Kilwinning fell within the area designated as Irvine New Town and expanded rapidly. Within the town there are several primary schools and one major secondary school, Kilwinning Academy. The large North Ayrshire Campus of James Watt College was built in Kilwinning and completed in the summer of 2000. The town centre offers a number of local shops and restaurants with excellent shopping available in Irvine which includes retail parks and a variety of outlet stores and supermarkets.
The Ayrshire coast is famous worldwide for golf with championship courses at Royal Troon, Prestwick and Turnberry, all of which have hosted the Open Championship. There is excellent sailing on the Firth of Clyde with yachting marinas at Troon and, further up the coast, at Ardrossan, Largs and Inverkip.
The A737 provides good access to the M8 and Glasgow to the north and there is a main line railway station in Kilwinning which provides a fast journey time to Glasgow in the north and Ayr to the south. Locally there are also the international airports of Glasgow (20 miles) and Prestwick (14 miles).
Glasgow (22 miles) is a comfortable daily commute and provides an excellent range of professional services, higher education, cultural and retail facilities.
Monkredding was originally held by the Tironensian monks of Kilwinning Abbey. Known as 'Moncarden' or the 'Monk's Garden', it served as a rest home for the brothers. A secret tunnel was said to run between the Abbey and Monkredding. Between 1539 and 1545, the Nevin family obtained the lands of East and West Monkredding from Alexander, Abbot of Kilwinning. These lands were "part of the ancient halydom of Kilwinning, which about this time was beginning to be parcelled out by the Abbots, to whoever would best remunerate them for the ostensible gift, forseeing that their own possession was becoming doubtful and unsteady." The Nevin family are recorded in Ayrshire and Galloway as far back as the late 1200s.
Thomas Nevin, the first laird of Monkredding, made his fortune mining coal on his newly acquired lands, and in 1558 started to build a tower house, which remains at the core of what is now Monkredding House. The Nevins remained in occupation until 1698 when William Nevin sold the estate to Hugh Cunninghame of Clonbeith, a Writer to the Signet. In 1830, on the death of her unmarried brother, Hugh Cunninghame's great grand-daughter Agnes Miller of Monkcastle inherited the house, together with the gardens, about six acres of fields and a one-third share of the estate, by now extending to about 1,000 acres. Agnes' great-grandson, William Campbell Miller died unmarried in 1857 and Monkredding House passed to his sister Alexandrina, Mrs Keith McAlister of Glenbar, Argyll. The McAlisters fully restored Monkredding. The current owners have occupied Monkredding since 1958.
From Ayr, travel north along the A78 bypassing Irvine and leave the A78 at the Eglinton Interchange; head for Kilwinning and after a mile, turn right at Bridgend Autoplex onto the B778. Continue along the B778 for 1.5 miles and turn left at white pepper pot gateposts, with gate lodge. Monkredding House is at the end of the tarmacadam driveway.
From Glasgow go to Barrhead and head south along the A736 past Uplawmoor and through Lugton and Burnhouse turning right at Auchentiber onto the B778. The Monkredding gateposts are 2.5 miles on the right."
More information from this agent
To view this media, please visit the on-line version of this page at www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-41501424.html
Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) graphs
Map & Street View
Street View is unavailable in this location
Disclaimer - Property reference GLG150225. The information displayed about this property comprises a property advertisement. Rightmove.co.uk makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the advertisement or any linked or associated information, and Rightmove has no control over the content. This property advertisement does not constitute property particulars. The information is provided and maintained by Robb Residential, Glasgow. Please contact the selling agent or developer directly to obtain any information which may be available under the terms of The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007 or the Home Report if in relation to a residential property in Scotland.
Map data ©OpenStreetMap contributors.