7 bedroom detached house for saleChurch Road, Carleton Rode, Norwich, Norfolk, NR16
Guide Price £1,650,000
- 5 reception rooms
- 7 bedrooms
- Outdoor swimming pool
- Woodland and meadowland
A fine Grade II listed Georgian rectory set in extensive gardens and grounds
The Old Rectory is approached by a long gravel drive, set in its own gardens and grounds in the old part of the hamlet of Carleton Rode. There is a village school and less than a mile to the north is the village of Bunwell which has a shop and post office and there are excellent public houses nearby at both New Buckenham and Spooner Row. The market town of Wymondham is about 8 miles to the north and has an excellent range of local shops, a famous abbey and an out of town Waitrose supermarket. About 8½ miles to the south is the market town of Diss with a mainline railway station with regular trains to London Liverpool Street and a journey time of about 90 minutes. There is easy access to the A11, just over 4 miles away.
Norwich, the Cathedral city and regional centre of East Anglia, is about 14 miles to the northeast. It boasts excellent schools in both the state and private sector, as well as cultural and leisure activities to suit most tastes and a thriving business community. It has also been listed as one of the top ten places to shop in the UK with four national department stores, two shopping malls and a hive of independent shops and historic bustling lanes. Norwich International Airport is just to the north of the city with flights to Europe and easy intercontinental connections available via Schiphol.
The Old Rectory is a most handsome Grade II listed Georgian fronted country house with origins dating back to the 16th century. The house stands well within its secluded gardens and grounds on the edge of the village and close to the 14th century church. It is believed that the Georgian part of the house principally dates from 1735 - 1740 and there was a further addition in the 19th century creating the superb and beautifully proportioned main drawing room. The house has well arranged and spacious accommodation with large, elegantly proportioned rooms so typical of the Georgian era. Much of the desirable period detail remains with fine original panelled doors, sash windows, shutters and fireplaces.
The house occupies a historic setting and it is understood that there has been a house on the site since the Middle Ages with a list of incumbents going back to 1307.
The current owners bought The Old Rectory in April 2011 and since then much work has been carried out including extensive sympathetic redecorating, landscaping work and hedge renovation to the gardens and grounds and various other items of refurbishment including upgrading of the wiring and lighting system and improvements to the plumbing and heating as well as to the swimming pool, along with an active maintenance schedule. A new high-spec alarm system has also been installed.
The house stands well back from the roadway, approached from the south by a long gravel drive entered through a gate mounted onto brick piers. The drive is lined by an avenue of lime trees underplanted with spring bulbs and finishes in a large gravelled sweep to the front and south of the house where there is ample parking space and a York stone fountain filled with water lilies. The drive also continues around to the north of the house where the stabling and garaging is situated.