6 bedroom detached house for saleMill Road, Shabbington, Nr Thame, Oxon/Bucks Border, HP18
Sold STC £2,350,000
- 5 reception rooms
- 6 bedrooms, 4 bath/shower rooms
- Kitchen, utility room, pantry, cellar
- Green house, summer house, game larder
- Landscaped gardens, about 0.7 acres
- Garden store
- EPC Rating = G
Former vicarage with views and show gardens
Thame 2 miles, Oxford 15 miles, Aylesbury 12 miles, M40 (J8A) 4.5 miles, Haddenham and Thame Parkway 5 miles, (London Marylebone from 35 minutes) London 51 miles
Shabbington is an ancient farming village and, with records dating back to Anglo Saxon times, it is thought there was a vicarage on the site of the current Hill House as early as 1209. The former vicarage, as it stands today, was built in 1728-1736 by the vicar George Tipping in an era when the vicars were the most important people in the village. The Victorian south wing was added and the property remodeled in 1845 by the Reverend Benjamin Morland, of the wealthy Abingdon brewing family, and it remained a vicarage until 1986. The property has only changed hands twice since. In 1992 the current owners installed central heating, new wiring and plumbing whilst retaining the period features. Arguably, however, their legacy at Hill House will be the beautifully designed compartmented landscaped gardens.
As its name might suggest Hill House is situated in an elevated position at the edge of the village enjoying far reaching views over countryside to the south and east. Constructed of stone below a mainly tiled roof the property is not listed, but retains many original features including oak floors, original working window shutters, a bread oven and 18th century oak stair case.
Well proportioned, generous accommodation over 4 floors lends itself well to today's modern family living and entertaining. Formal drawing and dining rooms enjoy high ceilings, deep skirting boards, ceiling cornices, open marble fireplaces and large windows and overlook a south facing parterre with the church beyond. There is an east facing sitting room, (morning room) and study, both with fireplaces. The kitchen, to the rear, has a gas fired 4 door Aga, handmade floor tiles from Whichford Pottery and an original 18th century wall cupboard. Accessed from the kitchen is the utility room, with disused fireplace and former bread oven, walk-in north facing pantry and downstairs cloakroom. Below the Victorian wing are the cellars including a fully shelved wine cellar and accessed externally is a game larder. On the first floor, the principal suite bedroom overlooks the church, there is large en suite bathroom and connecting dressing room. A library also overlooks the church and could be a 7th bedroom. There are two further bedrooms with en suite bath/shower ro oms and a study on the first floor. The rear staircase rises to the second floor and with three good sized bedrooms, a bathroom and a store room giving access to the eaves, it is ideal for teenagers, guests or live in staff.
OUTBUILDINGS AND GARDENS
Hill House is approached through stone pillars to gravel parking in front of the house. The gardens which wrap around the property have been created by the current owner, so delightful, they are open to the public once a year as part of the National Garden Scheme. The front garden includes weeping ash tree with climbing rose amid a carpet of bluebells which leads to the formal parterre gardens with neat topiary hedges and raised terrace looking back to the rose clad façade of the house. To the rear, the west facing gardens include an ornamental pond, thoughtfully planted formal flower beds providing a succession of merging colour schemes though the seasons and an orchard and there is a summer house from where to enjoy them. The part walled herb garden with pear trees, formerly a productive vegetable garden, is planted to provide a succession of perennial flowers and leads to a large timber garden store and green house.
Agents Note:- Adjacent glebe land, about 1.5 acres, is rented by current owner and may be available to rent to new owner. Contact selling agents for more information.
Hill House is a beautiful home in a rural village setting, but which also has convenient access to rail and road links for the commuter as well as the City of Oxford.
Square Footage: 5,204 sq ft
Acreage: 0.7 Acres
From Oxford, proceed along the A40//M40 east towards London. Pass over the double roundabout connecting with M40 (J8a &services), following the A418 towards Thame and Aylesbury. Proceed through Tiddington and at North Weston take the left turn to Shabbington. Follow Mill Lane over two narrow bridges and past The Old Fisherman pub. Proceed up the hill to the village and the entrance to Hill House is found on the left, the next turning after the church.
More information from this agent
To view this media, please visit the on-line version of this page at www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-41883459.html
Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) graphs
Map & Street View
Street View is unavailable in this location
Disclaimer - Property reference SUS160128. The information displayed about this property comprises a property advertisement. Rightmove.co.uk makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the advertisement or any linked or associated information, and Rightmove has no control over the content. This property advertisement does not constitute property particulars. The information is provided and maintained by Savills, Summertown. Please contact the selling agent or developer directly to obtain any information which may be available under the terms of The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007 or the Home Report if in relation to a residential property in Scotland.
Map data ©OpenStreetMap contributors.