6 bedroom equestrian facility for saleColemans Hatch, Hartfield, East Sussex, TN7
Guide Price £3,250,000
- ride out on the Ashdown Forest
- well-presented unlisted character home
- 6 bedrooms, 3 reception rooms
- secondary annexe and office
- 5,572 sq ft
- stables, paddock and manege
- swimming pool and tennis court
- 5.3 miles East Grinstead mainline station
- EPC Rating = D
An impressive family home in a sought-after position on the Ashdown Forest, together with ancillary accommodation, stables and paddocks
Forest Gate is approached via an impressive driveway through wrought iron automatic gates and located in the small hamlet of Colemans Hatch, with The Hatch Inn and cricket pitch near-by, and within the High Weald Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
The popular village of Hartfield is just over two miles away, offering a good range of local amenities, including a general store, church, gift shop, tea rooms, medical centre, tennis club and several public houses. Forest Row (2.3 miles) also has a wide range of small shops and services.
The nearest major shopping centre is East Grinstead (5.3 miles), which also offers a good service for commuters from its mainline station, enabling London Bridge to be reached from around 57 minutes, or London Victoria from just over an hour. Cowden (6.5 miles) provides an alternative convenient mainline station, with journey times to London Bridge from about 51 minutes.
State and private schools: Hartfield has its own playschool and primary school, Preparatories include Brambletye (East Grinstead), Cumnor House (Danehill) and Ashdown House in Forest Row, Eastbourne College, Mayfield School for Girls, Tonbridge and Sevenoaks public schools.
Accommodation of approximately 5,527 sq ft comprising:
- entrance porch
- reception hall
- 3 reception rooms
- study area
- kitchen/breakfast room
- utility room
- shower room
- boot room
- landing/study area
- master bedroom with en suite bath/shower room
- 4 further bedrooms
- family bathroom
- bedroom 6
- attic studio room
- eaves storage
Detached annexe: 922 sq ft
- entrance hall
- open plan kitchen/living room
- shower room
- established gardens
- covered decked seating area
- heated swimming pool
- all weather tennis court
- American barn-style stable block with 6 boxes, tack room and wash area
- 3 fenced paddocks of about 7.62 acres
- all weather manège
- direct Forest access (permit required)
- store rooms
- in total about 12.14 acres
- House: EPC = D; Annexe: EPC=E
Bordered by the open spaces of the historic Ashdown Forest in the delightful hamlet of Colemans Hatch, Forest Gate is a most attractive unlisted six bedroom character home.
Known to most as the home of Winnie the Pooh, the Forest covers some 6,500 acres of rare and protected heathland habitat, and Forest Gate enjoys direct access to the many trails available to walkers and riders.
Set within superb established grounds with a south-westerley aspect, the property has many character features and has been thoughtfully extended over the years to create an ideal "package" for those aspiring to a rural life-style, but requiring the practicality of a daily commute to schools and stations.
The light and spacious principal reception rooms enjoy a lovely outlook over the grounds and "flow" around a well-appointed country-style kitchen/breakfast room, complete with the essential Aga. The accommodation is further enhanced by a substantial detached annexe with accommodation and office space and, for those with equestrian interests, excellent facilities lie within easy reach of the house.
The new incumbents of Forest Gate will be entitled to the inherent Commoners' Rights to keep livestock and to 'estovers', (the cutting of birch, willow and alder) on the Forest. Further points of note include:
- character oak joinery including window frames, wall and ceiling beams, balustrade staircases with carved newel posts, and drop-latch internal doors;
- characterful reception hall with oak flooring and a wide brick and stone inglenook fireplace fitted with a wood burning stove;
- a snug study area with doors out to the garden;
- practical domestic space comprising a fitted utility/boot room opening out to the garden, and with a shower room off;
- first floor accommodation accessed from a large oak-framed landing offering useful study/sitting space and comprising five individual bedrooms with a lovely outlook over the grounds (all with fitted wardrobes and two with en suite facilities) and a well-appointed family bathroom;
- delightful second floor suite allowing for a good level of privacy, ideal for teenagers or guests, and comprising a well-proportioned bedroom with a view to the South East, and a bathroom;
- further useful second floor attic/studio room.
The park-like grounds are a major feature of the property, lying mostly to the rear and bordered by mature trees and high mixed hedging to all sides.
A large level lawn stretches from a wide flagstone terrace, studded with many mature shrubs and trees including azalea, rhododendron, oaks and a graceful weeping willow alongside a pretty lily-filled pond. The swimming pool lies within easy reach of the house, with a decked covered seating area alongside.
High hedging to the East side shields the house from the drive way, and there is a pretty approach via a flagstone path to the front door, with a good mix of colourful herbaceous borders and shrubs.
For those requiring accommodation for horses, the compact and functional facilities are conveni ently placed a short distance away from the house and comprise a fenced manège and six dual-aspect stables, a wash area and a tack room, enclosed within a timber American barn-syle block.
Three level and fenced, paddocks, amounting to about 7.72 acres, lie beyond with a gate in the far field providing direct access to the Forest and the exceptional off-road riding opportunities.
Accessed off the main driveway entrance is a detached two-storey annexe comprising an open plan kitchenette/living room, shower room, first floor bedroom and a ground floor office.
Oil-fired central heating. Mains water and electricity. Private drainage.
Outgoings: Wealden District Council: 01892 653311. Tax Band G.
Strictly by appointment with Savills on (01892) 507000. If there is any point which is of particular importance to you, we invite you to discuss this with us, especially before you travel to view the property.
Savills, their clients and any joint agents give notice that:
1. They have no authority to make or give any representations or warranties in relation to the property. These particulars do not form part of any offer or contract and must not be relied upon as statements or representations of fact.
2. Any areas, measurements or distances are approximate. The text, photographs and plans are for guidance only and are not necessarily comprehensive. It should not be assumed that the property has all necessary planning, building regulation or other consents and Savills have not tested any services, equipment or facilities. Purchasers must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise.
Square Footage: 5,527 sq ft
Acreage: 12.14 Acres
From our offices in Tunbridge Wells proceed out of town on the Langton Road (A264). Continue into Groombridge village and at the roundabout take the second exit (B2110). Stay on this road through Hartfield village and up the hill through Upper Hartfield. Turn left into Coach Road signposted Wych Cross and West Hoathly, remain on Coach Road as it bends to the left, and the entrance to Forest Gate will be found after a few yards on the right-hand side. If you reach The Hatch Inn, you have gone too far.
More information from this agent
To view this media, please visit the on-line version of this page at www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-41892618.html
Map & Street View
Street View is unavailable in this location
Disclaimer - Property reference TUS160177. The information displayed about this property comprises a property advertisement. Rightmove.co.uk makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the advertisement or any linked or associated information, and Rightmove has no control over the content. This property advertisement does not constitute property particulars. The information is provided and maintained by Savills, Tunbridge Wells. Please contact the selling agent or developer directly to obtain any information which may be available under the terms of The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007 or the Home Report if in relation to a residential property in Scotland.
Map data ©OpenStreetMap contributors.