5 bedroom detached house for saleBicycle Arms Road, Rotherfield, East Sussex, TN6
- delightful South-facing setting
- PP for extension and barn conversion
- 4/5 bedrooms
- 2 reception rooms
- 4,117 sq ft
- study/bedroom 5
- triple garage with store
- garden, paddock and tennis court
- about 2.45 acres in all
- EPC Rating = E
A character period property set in about 2.45 acres in this convenient semi-rural location
Ruggles Farm is situated in an delightful semi-rural position, about a mile by car from the village of Rotherfield. The historic village of Mayfield lies under 2 miles to the Southeast. Local amenities include a G.P. surgery, primary school, pharmacy, hairdressers, post office and general store, church and public houses. Crowborough (about 4.1 miles) and Tunbridge Wells (about 7.6 miles) offer a good selection of supermarkets, high street shops and leisure facilities.
State and private schools: Rotherfield has its own well-regarded primary school. Preparatory schools include Skippers Hill Manor at Five Ashes, Bricklehurst Manor at Stonegate, Vinehall at Robertsbridge and Holmewood House at Langton Green. State secondary schools at Crowborough (Beacon Academy), Heathfield and Wadhurst (Uplands), Kent grammar schools in Tunbridge Wells and Tonbridge and independent schools in Mayfield, Tonbridge, Sevenoaks and Eastbourne.
Mainline rail: Crowborough (at Jarvis Brook, about 2.5 miles) with services to London Bridge from just over an hour. Wadhurst (about 6.4 miles) and Tunbridge Wells (about 7.9 miles) offer frequent services on the Hastings line into London Charing Cross and Cannon Street (via Waterloo East and London Bridge) from 50 minutes (Tunbridge Wells to London).
Communications: The A22 and the A26 to the West and the A21 to the East provide access to the south coast and the M25 and thereby to the national motorway network, Gatwick and Heathrow airports, the Channel Tunnel Terminus and coastal ports.
- reception hall
- drawing room
- kitchen/breakfast room
- sitting/dining room
- double bedroom
- study/bedroom 5
- utility room
- master bedroom with en suite bathroom and walk-in wardrobe
- 2 eaves double bedrooms, both en suite
- detached triple garage and store room
- brick-built barn
- South-Southwest-facing garden and grounds
- ornamental pond
- tennis court
- planning permissions, reference WD/2013/0997/F (dated 5 August 2013) and WD/2014/0888/F (dated 8 July 2014) for conversion of an existing barn to ancillary accommodation and to erect a two-storey extension to the main house
- in all about 2.45 acres
Ruggles Farm is an enchanting family home, retaining much of the charm of its period coach house origins and set on a large South-Southwest-facing plot with uninterrupted views and a walled courtyard which provides an exceptional inside/outside entertaining and recreational space.
The property has been extended and updated over the years, the character features combining with contemporary bathrooms and a bespoke kitchen, partly open plan to a generous sitting/dining room, to create a comfortable home with a flexible layout well-suited to the needs of the modern family. Further points of note include:
- spacious reception hall with a painted beamed ceiling, slate flooring, a door with decorative stained glass out to the rear courtyard and a horse stall divider forming an attractive balustrade at the bottom of the stairs, giving a nod to the past;
- kitchen/breakfast room with underfloor heating, painted units under marble worktops and an island unit/breakfast bar formed of oak sleepers and painted units with a polished concrete top and under-mounted 1 ½ bowl sink with pull-out mixer tap and separate Quooker tap. Integrated dishwasher and two drawer fridge and space for a range-style cooker with extractor above. Bespoke walk-in larder;
- sitting/dining room, partly open plan to the kitchen/breakfast room and offering a versatile living space, with three sets of French doors leading out to the garden terrace, Velux rooflights and a fireplace with an oak bressumer and a slate hearth;
- triple aspect drawing room with double French doors to the front, a vaulted ceiling with exposed beams, parquet flooring and a wide, painted brick fireplace with an oak bressumer above and fitted with a woodburning stove;
- utility room with fitted units, a double butler's sink, space for appliances, windows to 2 sides and a stable door out to the garden;
- ground floor double guest bedroom with French doors out to a walled rear courtyard and a 'Jack and Jill' shower room which is also accessed from the study or potential fifth bedroom;
- dual aspect, light and spacious master bedroom suite with southwesterly views across the garden to the countryside beyond, a walk-in wardrobe and an en suite bathroom with bath and shower;
- 2 further double eaves bedrooms, each with an en suite bathroom, complete the accommodation.
The gardens and grounds extend to about 2.45 acres in total and comprise areas of lawn to the front and side of the house sloping gently away to the South-Southwest offering numerous vantage points from which the distant views can be enjoyed. A South-facing courtyard, largely enclosed by a high garden wall in which open arches allow glimpses of the views, lies to the side of the house with a generous decked area accessed from the dining room creating a sheltered spot for outdoor living and entertaining.
A tennis court lies to the southernmost end of the garden, screened from the house by a tall beech hedge, and a paddock extending to about 0.75 acres forms the eastern flank of the grounds.
The shared driveway, the top section of which is owned by a neighbouring property and over which Ruggles Farm h as a right of way, sweeps down from the road, opening out into a gravel forecourt offering turning space and parking for several cars. Vehicular access continues alongside the drawing room to a paved courtyard to the rear of the house, leading to a three-bay garage and store room.
Reference WD/2013/0997/F, dated 5 August 2013, expiring in August 2016, for the conversion of the existing barn into ancillary accommodation to include 2 bedrooms, a bathroom and an open plan living space and extending to 571 sq ft.
Reference WD/2014/0888/F, dated 8 July 2014, for a two-storey extension to the main house, including the creation of a new family room, study and two additional en suite first floor bedrooms.
Please see the proposed floor plans included within this brochure.
Services: Oil and propane gas-fired central heating. Mains water and electricity and shared private drainage.
Outgoings: Wealden District Council - 01323 443322. Tax Band G.
VIEWING Strictly by appointment with Savills on 01892 507000.
If there is any point which is of particular importance to you, we invite you to discuss this with us, especially before you travel to view the property.
Savills, their clients and any joint agents give notice that:
1. They have no authority to make or give any representations or warranties in relation to the property. These particulars do not form part of any offer or contract and must not be relied upon as statements or representations of fact.
2. Any areas, measurements or distances are approximate. The text, photographs and plans are for guidance only and are not necessarily comprehensive. It should not be assumed that the property has all necessary planning, building regulation or other consents and Savills have not tested any services, equipment or facilities. Purchasers must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise.
Square Footage: 4,117 sq ft
Acreage: 2.45 Acres
From Tunbridge Wells, head South on the Frant Road (A267). Continue through Frant village and Mark Cross. About 2 miles after the crossroads at Mark Cross, take the right turn into Bicycle Arms Road.
The shared driveway leading to Ruggles Farm can be found after about half a mile on the left-hand side, after the entrance to Holme Park and signposted for Calidus Cottage, Medlar House, The Thatch and Ruggles Farm. If you reach Sheriffs Lane on the right hand side, you have gone too far.
More information from this agent
To view this media, please visit the on-line version of this page at www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-41954688.html
Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) graphs
Map & Street View
Street View is unavailable in this location
Disclaimer - Property reference TUS160048. The information displayed about this property comprises a property advertisement. Rightmove.co.uk makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the advertisement or any linked or associated information, and Rightmove has no control over the content. This property advertisement does not constitute property particulars. The information is provided and maintained by Savills, Tunbridge Wells. Please contact the selling agent or developer directly to obtain any information which may be available under the terms of The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007 or the Home Report if in relation to a residential property in Scotland.
Map data ©OpenStreetMap contributors.