This property has been removed by the agent. It may be sold or temporarily removed from the market

View similar properties

13 bedroom detached house for sale

Harpsden Court, Henley-on-Thames, Oxfordshire, RG9

£8,950,000

Property Description

Key features

  • LOT 1
  • Grade II* Listed Manor House
  • Formal gardens, orchard and boating pond
  • Original stalls and carriage house with cobbled stable yard
  • Paddock, woodland and grounds of about 22 acres
  • LOT 2 3 bedroom house
  • LOT 3 2 bedroom cottage
  • LOT4 further 2 bedroom cottage

Full description

Tenure: Freehold

With its wealth of background and historic architectural integrity, Harpsden Court provides a wonderful opportunity to modernise this landmark property with unique character.

Location

Approximate distances: Henley-on-Thames 1.1 miles (London Paddington from 38 minutes), Reading 8 miles (London Paddington from 24 minutes), London Heathrow 25 miles, Oxford 25 miles (Distances and times are approximate).

From 2019 the new Elizabeth Line will be running from Twyford station (5.5 miles) allowing direct access to the City (55 mins),
West End (50 mins) and Heathrow (33 mins)

Description

Lot 1 - Harpsden Court

Description

This Grade II* property has a very impressive approach through a magnificent stone archway which leads to a statuesque and handsome Strawberry Hill Gothic Revival front. Reputedly, Harpsden Court dates back to 1204. Harpsden Court probably reached the height of its prosperity in the 16th century. It was beautifully mapped by John Blagrave in 1586 and this map survives in the Bodleian Library in Oxford.

There is an overlay of Elizabethan and Medieval architecture with an eclectic collection of Regency, Strawberry Hill Gothic Revival, Venetian, Palladian and Tudor revival windows. A Regency wing provides light, well-proportioned rooms whilst the Victorian wing provides a wide range of domestic office and former staff accommodation. Internally, it is particularly atmospheric, with a rich sequence of well-preserved interiors representing the long history of the house, notable for the oak panelling and exquisite plasterwork.

The principal bedroom is also known as 'Queen Mary's Room' as it is believed that Queen Mary I stayed at Harpsden Court. During the Great War, from 1914 - 1919 Harpsden Court was established and maintained as a hospital for British sick and wounded. In recent years the house has played host to a number of noted film and television productions.

With its wealth of background and historic architectural integrity, Harpsden Court provides a wonderful opportunity to modernise this landmark property with unique character.

Ground Floor

The studded front door is set in a two-storey porch and opens into the grand oak panelled Tudor reception hall with a gothic revival open fireplace. A splendid stained glass bay window gives views over the gardens to the east. The principal staircase with a magnificent 'George and the Dragon' window (designed by Arild Rosenkrantz) rises to the right of the fireplace, leading to the principal first floor rooms.

The formal dining room, which is the original Medieval core of the house, opens to the west of the reception hall. This beautiful, panelled room features original broad oak floorboards and an imposing Jacobean stone fireplace with 17th century mantle.

To the left of the fireplace there is a discreet oak panelled door hiding a Tudor arch passageway leading through to the former kitchen. Window seats are situated to the front overlooking the entrance gateway to Harpsden Court. Double doors to the south of the dining room open into the inner hall to the Regency secondary staircase, which leads to the spacious landing on the first floor.

The former kitchen lies to the front of the house, in the west wing, adjacent to the formal panelled dining room. This kitchen wing was added in the 18th Century and maintains visual symmetry of the principal front elevation. The room retains the original Victorian range and mixed stone and tile flooring, and leads to the scullery and two larders. There is access to a walled courtyard garden with an external store. A sewing room is linked to the original kitchen and inner hall to present kitchen.

The south hallway links a suite of reception rooms forming the Regency wing of Harpsden Court. The rooms have fine proportions and sash windows with working shutters. From the south hallway, there is access to the rear gardens and gravelled drive. The drawing room has sash French doors, wooden flooring and an open fireplace. The library is lined with bookshelves and has a private reading room. Wide oak floorboards lie throughout the reception rooms. The breakfast room, also opening off the south hallway, leads to the new kitchen, which was built in the 1970's.

The west wing of Harpsden Court was added in the Victorian era to provide a suite of service rooms, bringing all the functions needed for the running of a large family house under one roof. There is a sitting room, utility/boot room, wine cellar, store and domestic offices. The west wing contains the third and fourth staircases to the first floor and access to the western driveway to the property.

There is also a lift (not currently in use) serving the ground and first floor.

First Floor

The principal oak staircase, with original fabric wallpaper, has an impressive coffered ceiling with Wedgewood style decorations and leads to a Palladian doorway which opens out into the splendid domed Rococo music room. The cupola is a masterpiece of engineering sitting within the original roof space and believed to be designed by Humphrey Gainsborough (brother of more famous Thomas) who at the time was rumoured to have his studio within the attic being a friend of the Halls (owners from 1648-1850) and a minister in Henley. This stunning room has ornate plasterwork on all four walls and the ceiling, an open fireplace with marble hearth dating around 1770 and wooden mullion and transom windows to the front over the main entrance porch.

The first floor gothic revival sitting room and principal bedroom lead off the music room; the sitting room has a curved bay window with steps down to the east gardens and also internal access to an adjacent bedroom. Both of these rooms have open fireplaces. The principal bedroom suite, known as Queen Mary's Room which has an original mid 1500s interior and is wonderfully panelled with oak and leads via a discreet panelled door through a chamber to Queen Mary's Oratory and separate bathroom.

There are twelve further bedrooms on the first floor, some of which could convert to dressing rooms, en suite bathrooms or nurseries. Five bath/shower rooms are situated on the first floor, three en suite and a further WC.

Second Floor
Attic space provides potential for extensive further accommodation, subject to relevant consents.

Lot 2 - Guildfords

Guildfords is a detached house, set in its own garden. It has been recently refurbished, with contemporary accommodation throughout, leading off the laid quarry tiled porch are two reception rooms, one of which is linked with a lobby area and WC. The lobby leads to the living and dining areas. There is a galley kitchen with work surfaces and cupboards along one side. There are two staircases, one at each end of the property. There are three bedrooms on the first floor, one en suite bathroom off the principal bedroom. There are two separate shower rooms.

Lot 3 - 1 Stable Cottages

1 Stable Cottages adjoins the stable block. Entrance porch, reception room, kitchen, WC and rear porch. There are two bedrooms, a shower room, bathroom and store cupboard on the first floor. Enclosed garden and off road parking.

Lot 4 - 2 Stable Cottages

2 Stable Cottages is a detached house set in its own garden. Entrance hall, two reception rooms, and a ground floor shower room and kitchen/dining room with French doors opening on to the garden. Stairs rise to two bedrooms and a bathroom. Off road parking and garden.

Separate shared rear access leads to the cottages and Guildfords.

Square Footage: 16,098 sq ft
Acreage: 22 Acres

Directions

From Henley, take the A4155 to Reading. After about half a mile, at the mini roundabout, take the right turn to Harpsden. Continue on this road into Harpsden Way. Follow the road down the hill and Harpsden Court entrance can be found on the left hand side at the bottom of the hill through the grand archway.


More information from this agent

Listing History

Added on Rightmove:
04 June 2016

Map & Street View

Disclaimer - Property reference HES160047. The information displayed about this property comprises a property advertisement. Rightmove.co.uk makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the advertisement or any linked or associated information, and Rightmove has no control over the content. This property advertisement does not constitute property particulars. The information is provided and maintained by Savills, Henley-On-Thames. Please contact the selling agent or developer directly to obtain any information which may be available under the terms of The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007 or the Home Report if in relation to a residential property in Scotland.

* This is the maximum possible speed. Broadband speed may be lower at peak times and can be affected by a range of technical and environmental factors. The speed you receive where you live may be lower than that listed above. Fibre/cable services at your postcode are subject to availability. You can confirm availability on the provider's website. The information is provided and maintained by comparethemarket.com

Map data OpenStreetMap contributors.