4 bedroom end of terrace house for saleAdmaston Spa, Admaston, Telford, Shropshire, TF5
Sold STC £600,000
- Drawing room & Dining Hall
- Kitchen/breakfast room
- Master bedroom with en suite
- A further 3 bedrooms
- Double garage & parking
- Picturesque gardens in all about 2.17 acres
- Wellington Station: 2.4 miles
- Shrewsbury: 11.2 miles
- Newport: 9.9 miles
Historically important Grade II listed end of terrace house with 4 bedrooms, double garage & parking and picturesque gardens, in all about 2.17 acres.
Spa House is situated in the village of Admaston, located on the edgeof Wellington which has a wide range of shops and amenities, including a station with regular trains to Birmingham, London and Shrewsbury.
Also close by are the Shropshire landmarks, The Wrekin and Ercall Woods, both Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Telford with its business and shopping centre is nearby, with further shopping and leisure facilities in Shrewsbury and Newport. The M54 is a short distance away, connecting to the M6 and M6 toll road. The area is also served well by both state and private sector schools including Old Hall School, Wrekin College, Thomas Telford School, Adams Grammar School and Newport High School for Girls.
Spa House is a Grade II listed property set at the end of a terrace. Whilst the property is now a portion of the original house, the wealth of character features and dimensions provide an exceptional elegant, entertaining space.
Grand ornamental gates incorporating 1765, cover the double doors taking you into the impressive dining hall with a York stone fireplace dominating the far wall. An imposing Coalbrookdale cantilever staircase leads up to the first floor and galleried landing. The drawing room is an elegant double aspect room with two French doors including working wooden shutters leading out to the attractively laid out side garden.
To the rear of the property is the kitchen/breakfast room designed and fitted by Dayrooms and incorporates two Siemens ovens, integrated fridge freezer, dishwasher, a waste master disposal unit and cook's scales set into the granite worktop. A central island provides both storage and a fitted breakfast table. The windows over look the side and rear gardens. A maple flooring runs through the kitchen, rear hallway and downstairs cloakroom. The cloakroom has additional storage and a disguised entrance to the cellar in the floor.
Upstairs, the master bedroom is dual aspect with sash windows
and a generous en-suite bathroom leading off with enclosed marble bath, vanity unit and hand painted walls. The second bedroom has fitted panelled wardrobes and there are two further bedrooms, a large bathroom and a useful linen room just off the rear landing.
Large picturesque gardens surround the property on three sides with mature trees and shrubs such as a selection of Acers, Rhododendrons, Vibernums, Hydrangeas, Yew trees, American Redwood and an impressive Magnolia which is approximately 46ft across. Immediately outside the kitchen doors you find the original spa water feature surrounded by planted beds with low box hedging and to one side, there is a brick built garden store. The lawns lead down to the edge of the pond.
Spa House is a beautiful Grade II listed building dating back to the mid 18th century. Admaston was considered the most important of all the Shropshire mineral springs and was in vogue as a spa from the mid 18th century until the late 19th century. The property benefits from a wealth of documented evidence outlining its history over the years.
In 1835, the Admaston Spa Hotel was being run by Thomas Clarke and was described as "a comfortable inn, with hot and cold baths which had been erected at considerable expense".
Pigot's Directory of 1835 states "The waters having been found highly efficacious in rheumatic complaints, it is becoming a watering place of some note". AB Granville in 1840 singled out Admaston Spa in The Spas of England as an example of the briny springs found in the Silurian region.
Robert Rogerson changed the use of the Spa in 1874 and ran a school known as The College however, on the death of Mr Rogerson in 1879, the property was put up for sale by the executors and was turned into a private residence. The plans show a pond in the trout stream at the back of the house and ten years later there is a photograph showing the pond with a punt on it.
In the late 1920s, Mr D O Murphy of the Wrekin Brewery purchased the property and once again attempted to run the property as a spa and hotel and an entry in Kelly's for 1929 reads "Admaston Spa Hotel and Hydro, D O Murphy Proprietor, Brine baths, central heating, electric light, shooting, hunting, tennis, gold etc. AA & RAC".
In 1933, the Much Wenlock Official Illustrated Guide carried an
advertisement for bottled Admaston Spa Water, "recommended for gout and rheumatism, obtainable from chemists and Hotel Proprietors or from the Admaston Spa". In 1975 the Telford Development Corporation acquired the Spa and together with Tarmac "combined to recreate from the original Spa, three large and distinguished private residences of surpassing beauty and great historic interest".
Since then the property has only changed hands twice with previous owners calling the property "heaven" and "a beautiful home - one to treasure"
Square Footage: 2,410 sq ft
Acreage: 2.17 Acres
From M54/the South
From the M54 junction 6, take the A5223/A442 Telford West/
Whitchurch. Continue straight until the Shawbirch roundabout. Take the first exit, B5063 Shawbirch/Admaston. Continue for approximately 0.8 mile. Admaston Spa can be found on the left. On arrival take the next left and visitor parking is immediately on your right hand side. The property can be approached via the ornamental iron gates following the stone pathway until the last house on the left hand side.
From Whitchurch/the North
Follow the A442 to Shawbirch roundabout and take the third exit
Shawbirch/Admaston, B5063. Continue for approximately 0.8 mile and Spa House can be found on the left. Take the next left and guest parking is immediately on your right hand side. The property can be approached via the ornamental iron gates following the stone pathway until the last house on the left
More information from this agent
To view this media, please visit the on-line version of this page at www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-42265821.html
Map & Street View
Street View is unavailable in this location
Disclaimer - Property reference TES090105. The information displayed about this property comprises a property advertisement. Rightmove.co.uk makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the advertisement or any linked or associated information, and Rightmove has no control over the content. This property advertisement does not constitute property particulars. The information is provided and maintained by Savills, Telford. Please contact the selling agent or developer directly to obtain any information which may be available under the terms of The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007 or the Home Report if in relation to a residential property in Scotland.
Map data ©OpenStreetMap contributors.