4 bedroom detached house for saleBlackhall Manor, Barrhead Road, Paisley, Renfrewshire, PA2
Sold STC £399,000
Blackhall Manor is protected by a category 'B' listing. It is of substantial stone construction under a slated roof. The house is steeped in character and charm and has distinctive crow-stepped gables, window yetts, and intricate stone carvings. Internally there are studded pitch pine doors, substantial ironmongery, stone turnpike stairs, a vaulted ceiling and two ceilings painted in the Scottish Renaissance style. The accommodation is laid out over 4 levels and is presented in very good condition.
Substantial outer door to entrance reception hallway, well equipped dining and breakfasting kitchen (vaulted) with range cooker and Belfast sinks, utility room, cloakroom and wc, all with tiled floors. Formal dining room with pitch pine floor, antique panelling, Scottish Renaissance-style painted ceiling, exposed beams with inscriptions and stone arch.
Stone turnpike staircase to the first floor level great hall with multi-fuel Defra-approved Franco Belge stove set in large stone fireplace, pitch pine floor, dramatic painted ceiling and exposed beams with hand-painted cartouches and mottos. Door leading to bedroom 1 with wood panelling and fitted wardrobes, pine ceiling and en suite shower room and wc.
Stone turnpike staircase to second floor landing to family bathroom, bedroom 2 with useful study area, linen cupboard and separate sink cupboard, bedroom 3 (could be study or sitting room), bedroom 4 with stone fireplace, antique panelling and ornate plaster ceiling.
Steel spiral staircase to third floor attic, divided into study and storage areas.
Stone double garage and lean-to woodshed, turreted stone folly, all slated.
Double stone outer gate piers to new blacktop driveway bordered by lawns, black metal railings and newly planted privet hedging to turning and vehicle hard standing area. Further lawn area at the western side recently planted up with saplings and a leylandii hedge on its north boundary, which is also fenced with black metal railings.
Ornamental metal gates in stone gate piers with antique rampant lion statues to inner courtyard cobbled in granite sets to the south and west of the house. To the south of the house, a stone retaining wall supports a raised, level and mature lawn bordered with well stocked beds. A high stone wall to the west and north, and mature trees, hedges and bushes fringe the gardens to provide shelter, privacy and amenity. An arbour is in the southern corner of the gardens and a pergola is draped with climbers. A private gravel terrace to the east leads to the stone folly. A wild woodland and shrubbery garden is to the western side of the garage before returning to the front garden.
Walter Fitzalan, a Norman knight who became "High Steward of the King's Household" to David I, built what was probably the first Blackhall before he founded Paisley Abbey in 1163, it being referred to in the foundation charter. It was probably a hunting lodge, surrounded by the Forest of Paisley. Walter's descendants (who took the surname "Stewart") remained powers in the land to the extent that the sixth High Steward, another Walter, married Marjorie Bruce, daughter of King Robert the Bruce, in 1315. Their son, born in Paisley Abbey in March 1316, became King Robert II, and the founder of the Stewart/Stuart royal dynasty, upon the death of his uncle, King David II, in 1371, at which point Blackhall became a royal property.
Robert II was succeeded by his eldest son, John, Earl of Carrick, in 1390, as King Robert III. In 1396 Robert III gave the lands of Blackhall to his natural son, Sir John Stewart, in the ownership of whose family they remained, at least in part, until 1940, when the house, already ruinous, and remaining surrounding ground was gifted to the people of Paisley.
The house fell into even greater disrepair thereafter and its demolition was proposed in 1978. Local opposition to that led to it being sold to a couple who restored it and lived in it until 1990, when the current vendors purchased it.
It is unclear when the house was built. In appearance, it looks to date from the 16th century but there is evidence to suggest that, in that period, an older "hall house", possibly dating from the late 14th century, was converted to a more convenient building by the addition of an internal cross-wall, stair tower, new ground-floor door and larger windows.
A fuller history of the house is available upon request.
Blackhall Manor is on the southern side of Paisley and is situated well back from the A726 Barrhead Road close to the junction with Marnock Terrace.
A private driveway, for the exclusive use of the Manor, leads to the house, which enjoys a quiet corner position amid mature and well-screened gardens.
Paisley town centre, where there is the usual range of high street shops as well as the Piazza shopping mall, is within easy walking distance. The district is well served by supermarkets with most of the leading brands servicing Paisley.
Paisley has excellent primary and secondary schooling as well as being the home of the University of the West of Scotland. Travel links are wide and varied, with frequent local bus and train services, and good road networks providing fast motor car access to Glasgow and beyond via the M8. The Erskine Bridge, some 8 miles away, gives access via the A83 to Loch Lomond, The Trossachs and the north.
Glasgow city centre is only 10 miles away and, as with most major cities, benefits from a thriving retail sector and a full range of professional and leisure services. Glasgow International Airport, a convenient 4 miles to the north, offers a steadily increasing number of domestic, European and long-haul destinations.
In Scotland one is never too far from a golf course and Paisley is no exception, Ralston and Barshaw Park golf courses being the main Paisley parkland courses, while further afield in Ayrshire there are the internationally renowned golf courses of Turnberry, Royal Troon and Prestwick.
Paisley has the Lagoon indoor water centre and nearby is the Braehead Soar leisure centre with its cinema, indoor skiing, boarding, bowling and climbing wall, all situated at the Braehead retail village. The David Lloyd tennis, fitness and conditioning centre is less than 3 miles from the property.
The house is serviced by a mains water supply, mains drainage, mains gas, central heating provided by range cooker in the kitchen, partial double glazing.
From Paisley town centre proceed in a westerly direction on the A726. From the traffic lights at Lonend continue south east on the A726 for 0.5 miles to find the entrance to Blackhall Manor on the left hand side, proceed in and along the private drive and the house is on the right hand side at the end of the driveway."
More information from this agent
To view this media, please visit the on-line version of this page at www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-42326469.html
Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) graphs
Map & Street View
Street View is unavailable in this location
Disclaimer - Property reference GLG150244. The information displayed about this property comprises a property advertisement. Rightmove.co.uk makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the advertisement or any linked or associated information, and Rightmove has no control over the content. This property advertisement does not constitute property particulars. The information is provided and maintained by Robb Residential, Glasgow. Please contact the selling agent or developer directly to obtain any information which may be available under the terms of The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007 or the Home Report if in relation to a residential property in Scotland.
Map data ©OpenStreetMap contributors.