6 bedroom detached house for saleFurnace Lane, Cowden, Edenbridge, Kent
Sold STC £1,100,000
- 3 Reception Rooms
- Proposed Kitchen, Breakfast Room, Utility/Cloakroom
- Spacious 1st Floor Landing
- Proposed Master Bedroom Suite, 5 further Bedrooms & 3 further proposed Bathrooms
- 2nd Floor proposed Bedroom 7/Playroom
- In all about 5,100 sq ft
- Semi-Derelict Garage/Stable for restoration
- Gardens & Grounds requiring Landscaping
- In all about 2 acres
- No Onward Chain
An exciting major renovation project of a Grade II listed country house with 16th century Tudor origins on the Kent/Sussex/Surrey borders
Scarletts is a substantial detached period country house with Tudor origins, listed Grade II as a building of architectural or historical interest. Built of part painted mellow brick and tile hung upper elevations, with a central classical medieval timber framed house with painted plaster infill panels, and a mixture of diamond leaded light and panelled casement windows, under a tiled roof.
The shell of the building has had substantial works carried out to make it wind and water tight as it had previously been in a semi-derelict condition. Some internal restoration works have been carried out including reinstatement of board floors and some decoration in readiness for the renovation project.
This highly individual property now offers an exciting restoration opportunity with incredible potential and requires refurbishment including rewiring, replumbing; heating system, bathrooms and kitchen installations, as there are currently no bathing or cooking facilities.
Planning permission and listed building consent exist under references: SE/13/00550/HOUSE and SE/13/00551/LBCALT (both expiring April 2016) and include the creation of two large dormer windows on the rear roof elevation to facilitate the conversion of the second floor. There is additional planning consent for the creation of a 17m outdoor raised swimming pool and contemporary pool house under ref: SE/13/01478/FUL (expiring in January 2017).
The accommodation is arranged over four floors including a cellar and comprises the following (room denominations are for proposed uses):
- Original low medieval oak entrance door to
- Reception Hall with quarry tiled floor, exposed timbers, part panelled screen with turned ballusters to principal staircase to first floor
- Dining Room - a fine double aspect room with high heavily beamed ceiling with 2 moulded cross beams sitting on a carved corbel above the fireplace, broad inglenook style fireplace with fine oak bressumer beam, sandstone quoins and exposed brick with display recess; newly boarded oak floor, door to
- Rear Lobby with door to terrace and flight of steps with understair cupboard to
- 2 room Cellar
Low connecting door from drawing room to
- Secondary Hallway with oak front entrance door and exposed timbers, low doorway to
- Drawing Room - a magnificent and generous dual aspect room with south facing square bay window to the front and picture window overlooking side garden, deep recessed broad brick fireplace with raised stone hearth and oak bressumer beam, boarded floor, rear doorway to garden, secondary staircase to first floor with understair cupboard, high ceiling with moulded cornicing, picture rail, deep skirting boards
- Sitting Room - a double aspect room with 2 square bay windows, fireplace, deep skirting boards, picture rail
- Pantry with fitted dresser unit, newly boarded floor, exposed timbers, doorway to
- Proposed Kitchen with double aspect, chimney flue with recessed niche to one side, newly boarded floor
- Proposed Breakfast Room with brick floor, rear entrance door, staircase to first floor bedroom 5 and proposed bathroom
- Proposed Utility/Cloakroom with quarry tiled floor
- Spacious Landing - would be used for new proposed staircase to second floor - double aspect, exposed timbers, original oak floor boards, open archway to inner hall with
- Double Bedroom 3 - a double aspect room with fireplace flanked by fitted double wardrobe cupboards and store cupboards above, deep skirting boards
- Double Bedroom 4 with sealed connecting door to bedroom 5 (currently accessed from breakfast room)
- Proposed Bathroom
- Cross Landing with original oak floor boards leading to side landing with secondary staircase to drawing room and flight of stairs up to
- Proposed Master Bedroom Suite comprising; Open landing area, Spacious Double Bedroom 1 with dual aspect, high ceiling, picture rail, deep skirting boards and boarded floor, Dressing Room and Proposed En-Suite Bathroom
- Proposed Double Bedroom Suite 2 with original fireplace with oak bressumer beam, wide original oak floorboards, low doorway to proposed En-Suite Bathroom
- Bedroom 5 (potential bathroom) with door to Bedroom 2 and door to small staircase leading to second floor
- Attic Roof Space with sloping ceilings and 2 roof lights - proposed space for Bedroom 7/Playroom and storage space with access via a new stairase from the first floor landing
Our client has taken advice and is of the opinion that a VAT rate of 5% would be applicable to the building works on Scarletts on account of the property having remained empty for over 2 years. However, we would draw your attention to the HMRC guidelines at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vat-notice-708-buildings-and-construction/vat-notice-708-buildings-and-construction#reduced-rating-the-renovation-or-alteration-of-empty-residential-premises and buyers should take professional advice on this matter.
The photographs give an illustrative use only.
Photographs taken in May 2014 and June 2015.
More information from this agent
To view this media, please visit the on-line version of this page at www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-42497322.html
Map & Street View
Street View is unavailable in this location
Disclaimer - Property reference TON150168. The information displayed about this property comprises a property advertisement. Rightmove.co.uk makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the advertisement or any linked or associated information, and Rightmove has no control over the content. This property advertisement does not constitute property particulars. The information is provided and maintained by Jackson-Stops, Tunbridge Wells - Sales. Please contact the selling agent or developer directly to obtain any information which may be available under the terms of The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007 or the Home Report if in relation to a residential property in Scotland.
Map data ©OpenStreetMap contributors.