6 bedroom village house for saleElmside, Main Street, Northiam, East Sussex
Offers in Excess of £965,000
An impressive Grade II Listed, attached period property standing in a prominent position in the heart of the village, set in mature landscaped gardens and grounds of circa 2 ¼ acres (unmeasured). This very fine and unique family house is a charming eclectic mix of distinctive architectural styles, the oldest part is believed to date back to Tudor times with later substantial additions in the late Victorian / early Edwardian era. The excellent accommodation is arranged over four floors and extends to just over 6,000 sq ft in total.
Elmside enjoys an abundance of character features which includes well-proportioned rooms with high lofty ceilings, sash windows, period fireplaces, window shutters, panelled doors with hand plates, picture rails and exposed beams and timbers, and of particular note is the outstanding Orangery which takes full advantage over the delightful gardens and grounds.Situation : Elmside enjoys a central location in the heart of the thriving and popular village of Northiam in East Sussex. The village has many amenities including two village stores, one with a post office, Doctor's surgery with dispensary, bakery, ancient church and primary school as well as many local clubs and societies. Northiam is also home to the famous house and gardens of "Great Dixter" and is surrounded by areas of outstanding natural beauty. The cinque port town of Rye offers train services to Brighton and Ashford with connections to London. Ashford also offers the Eurostar service to Europe and the high-speed service to Ebbsfleet, Stratford and London St Pancras (a journey of about 40 minutes). Tenterden, Battle and Rye, which are all approximately 7.5 miles away, offer a range of shops, supermarkets, leisure facilities and schools. A variety of educational opportunities exist in the area in both the private and state sector at all levels .
● The house is entered via a panelled front door with decorative glazed panel above, opening into the Entrance Vestibule with exposed floor boards, with an archway leading through to the most welcoming Reception Hall with a large window overlooking the front garden. A large brick fireplace with woodburning stove provides a charming focal point and a staircase with attractive balustrades leads to the first floor.
● The elegant and formal Drawing Room is a wonderful feature of the property with a delightful marble fireplace adding to the overall ambience. A large bay window with central doors opens to the rear terrace with steps down to the garden and enjoys a lovely view over the grounds. There is a further large window to the side garden.
● From the Inner Hallway there is a door leading to the Cloakroom. The Sitting Room which is a lovely characterful room with exposed ceiling timbers and hosts a fine inglenook fireplace with bressumer. From this room there is access to Orangery and a door leads through to the kitchen breakfast room.
● The Dining Room is another handsome room with a large inglenook fireplace with bressumer beam with brick surrounds and hearth. Exposed wall and ceiling beams. Window to the front.
● The wonderful country-style Kitchen / Breakfast Room lies at the heart of the home comprising an extensive range of cupboards and drawers with concealed lighting and granite worksurfaces. Former brick fireplace provides an ideal space for a range style cooker and oven with a good size built in larder to one side. There is room for appliances including fridge / freezer. Double bowl sink unit with mixer tap. Windows overlooking the rear terrace and garden. Ample space for dining table. Tiled flooring.
● A door leads to the Utility Room where there is room for a washing machine, tumble dryer etc. Door to the rear.
● A special feature of the property is the superb Orangery to the rear of the house, being an impressive room with flagstone flooring, and windows and doors enjoying a lovely outlook over the terrace and gardens beyond.
● There is a large Cloakroom with w.c. wash basin and storage cupboards. From the Inner Hall, a further door leads into the double garage.
● On the First Floor, the split level landing gives access to the four principal double bedrooms which are beautifully presented, one currently being used as a Study. The Master Bedroom is a lovely room with superb views over the gardens and grounds to the rear with built in wardrobe cupboards. This bedroom also benefits from a Dressing Room and en-suite Bathroom.
● Guest Bedroom 2 is further charming bedroom with a wealth of ceiling timbers and beams with a window overlooking the front garden and enjoying an en-suite Shower Room.
● The further Two Bedrooms are both of generous sizes and a well appointed family bathroom completes this floor.
● From the landing, there is a secondary staircase leading up to to the Second Floor with Two Attic Bedrooms, and a ‘jack and jill’ Shower Room and Two large further Attic Rooms. Altogether this floor provides an extremely spacious and versatile area with potential for remodelling if desired, subject to any necessary planning permission.
● From the inner hallway, on the ground floor, steps lead down to the extensive Cellar, which is divided into three main rooms with power and lighting connected, oil fired central heating boiler and capacious storage space.
● Outside : The property is approached over a gravelled driveway providing off road parking for a number of vehicles and access to the Double Garage with power and light connected. This also offers great potential for further accommodation, subject to planning consent. There is an area of lawned garden with a charming brick wall to the front boundary.
● The exceptional rear gardens and grounds are a particular delight. Over the many years that the vendors have been in residence, a great deal of time, patience and effort have been spent with meticulous and extensive planting creating a wonderful setting for the property. The vendors own seasonal photographs have been included in the brochure.
● The house has a lovely flagstone paved terrace immediately to the rear providing sunny and shaded seating areas perfect for summer entertaining and al-fresco dining with steps leading down to the gardens. There are extensive areas of lawn and well stocked beds and borders with pathways meandering through the garden and the lovely natural pond provides an ideal secluded place to sit and relax. The vast array of specimen of flowering trees and shrubs are too long to list, but the Acers, Mulberry, Beech, Camellia, Rhododendron and magnificent Redwoods are worth a special mention and the huge Gunnera is bound to impress the keenest of horticulturalists.
● In summary, these wonderful grounds will certainly satisfy buyers looking for interest and colour all year round. Furthermore, there is a large Detached Outbuilding with power and light connected, currently used as Workshop and the property enjoy a secondary point of access into the gardens from a driveway to the neighbouring side, over which Elmside has a right of access.
● Services : Mains water, electricity and drainage. Calor gas for cooking. Oil fired central heating with storage heaters to the attic. We understand there is mains gas available as far as the garage (but not connected)
Property ref: 121_2740_4001245
Map & Street View
Street View is unavailable in this location
Disclaimer - Property reference 4001245. The information displayed about this property comprises a property advertisement. Rightmove.co.uk makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the advertisement or any linked or associated information, and Rightmove has no control over the content. This property advertisement does not constitute property particulars. The information is provided and maintained by Warner Gray, Tenterden. Please contact the selling agent or developer directly to obtain any information which may be available under the terms of The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007 or the Home Report if in relation to a residential property in Scotland.
Map data ©OpenStreetMap contributors.