This property has been removed by the agent. It may be sold or temporarily removed from the market

View similar properties

7 bedroom character property for sale

Chapel Lane, Costock

Sold STC £985,000

Property Description

Key features

  • Detached Former Rectory in 2.5 Acres
  • Over 4600 sq ft of Accommodation
  • Superb Drawing Room and Dining Room
  • Seven Bedrooms
  • Three Bathroom/Shower Rooms
  • Two Storey Outbuilding
  • Sweeping Approach
  • Walled Gardens, Heated Swimming Pool and Paddock
  • EPC Rating E

Full description

This archetypal Victorian Rectory with an 18th century core was remodelled and extended in 1863, reputedly by renowned architect Sir George Gilbert Scott. This hidden gem beautifully nestled beside a 14th century church has a small country house feel and has not been on the open market for more than 30 years. Standing in 2.5 acres of stunning grounds at the end of a sweeping gravel drive this seven bedroom period home offers over 4600 sq ft of accommodation. Particular features include an impressive tiled reception hall with grand staircase, and large drawing room and 18ft formal dining room, both south facing and with lofty ceilings. Outside, a two storey outbuilding offers garaging and stabling and within the walled gardens is an outdoor heated swimming pool.


Location 
The property is located just off the Main Street in the centre of this popular village that lies on the Nottinghamshire/Leicestershire border. The village itself has an attractive 14th century church, a well regarded primary school and pub/restaurant named The Generous Briton. The neighbouring village of East Leake (1.3 miles) offers a full range of facilities including a leisure centre with swimming pool, supermarket, health centre, chemist, opticians, post office, variety of small shops and outdoor pursuits such as cricket, football, rugby and bowls clubs. The village is ideally placed for fast access to Leicester, Nottingham, Loughborough, East Midlands Airport and M1(J24). Leicester 16 miles / Nottingham 10 miles / Derby 20 miles / Loughborough 7.3 miles / Melton Mowbray 14.9 miles / East Midlands Airport 11.1 miles / East Midlands Parkway 7.7 miles / M1(J24) 8.4 miles

History 
In 1676 Rector Townsend built a new parsonage, the N-S wing on the left side of the 1862 photograph. In 1786 Rector Beaumont added what the Victoria County History describes as 'an extension of one ground floor room and two rooms above it'. We believe this relates to the E-W wing on the right side of the 1862 photograph, still surviving as the current drawing room with two bedrooms above. In 1863, Rector Millard had the 1676 wing demolished; retained the 1786 wing but had it refaced; had a two-storey extension added behind the 1786 wing and the three-storey extension added to the east. The 1863 rebuilding is believed to be the work of Gilbert Scott, who restored the church in 1862-3. Scott went on to work on the Albert Memorial in 1864, and the Midland Grand Hotel at St Pancras Station in 1865. All outbuildings are believed to pre-date the 1863 rebuilding of the main house.

Ground Floor Accommodation 
A substantial panelled door with stained glass under a Victorian tiled porch opens into a grand reception hall. An original tiled floor extends throughout the hallway and a highly decorative staircase is of particular note. The three reception rooms comprise a drawing room, a formal dining room (currently used as a sitting room), and a smaller room, potentially a study or snug. Both the drawing room and dining room are grand south facing rooms. Well proportioned and with exceptionally high ceilings, the drawing room has two large sash windows with shutters and French doors that open into the gardens. The dining room features a large bay window that floods the room with natural light and a magnificent period fireplace.

First & Second Floor Accommodation 
On the first floor a spacious landing provides access to five double bedrooms, a number of which have period fireplaces. A modern shower room with WC is ensuite to the master bedroom, and there is also a large family bathroom with cast iron roll top bath and a separate toilet. The ornate staircase continues to the second floor where there are two further double bedrooms both with period fireplaces and a shower room fitted with WC.

Outside 
The house is approached from Chapel Lane by a sweeping gravel driveway, flanked by woodland and lawns and circling St Giles Church and church yard. The front gardens, which are private with a southerly aspect and a pedestrian gate providing direct access onto Church Lane, feature mature borders, an ornamental pond and a magnificent 150 year old beech tree. A stable yard with two storey brick outbuilding provides additional hardstanding. Thought to date back to the 18th century, this outbuilding comprises a garage and double stable with loft above, and an adjacent open fronted carport.

Continued 
The rear gardens are enclosed on two sides by an old red brick wall and feature lawned orchard with mature fruit trees, herbaceous borders, productive vegetable plot and outdoor above ground heated swimming pool with adjacent timber decking. Beyond the rear garden and extending to approximately 1.16 of an acre is a paddock ideal for a pony or large family gatherings. The paddock has vehicular access and extends down to Kingston Brook.

Services 
Mains gas, electricity and water are connected. Drainage is to a Klargester cesspit in the rear gardens. The property has gas central heating fired by two Worcester boilers located in the utility room.

Tenure 
Freehold with vacant possession upon completion.

Local Authority 
Rushcliffe Borough Council Tel: 0115 981 9911 Council Tax Band - G

Directions 
From either Nottingham or Loughborough, turn off the A60 to Costock village and continue along Main Street. Turn right immediately after The Generous Briton pub/restaurant on to Chapel Lane where the entrance to The Old Rectory can be found.

More information from this agent

Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs)

Listing History

Added on Rightmove:
24 October 2016

Map & Street View

Disclaimer - Property reference 4340368. The information displayed about this property comprises a property advertisement. Rightmove.co.uk makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the advertisement or any linked or associated information, and Rightmove has no control over the content. This property advertisement does not constitute property particulars. The information is provided and maintained by Fine and Country, Woodhouse Eaves. Please contact the selling agent or developer directly to obtain any information which may be available under the terms of The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007 or the Home Report if in relation to a residential property in Scotland.

Map data OpenStreetMap contributors.