6 bedroom detached house for sale

Near West Portholland, Tregony and Veryan.

£2,250,000

Property Description

Key features

  • A sympathetically and dramatically extended farmhouse
  • Steeped in history, set in an intimate landscape of great beauty
  • Around 8 acres of formal landscaped gardens, stabling, outbuildings and pasture land.
  • 6 bedrooms, 6 bath / shower rooms and 5 reception rooms
  • Outdoor heated swimming pool
  • Viewing internally strongly recommended.

Full description

A sympathetically and dramatically extended farmhouse, steeped in history, set in an intimate landscape of great beauty and around 8 acres of formal landscaped gardens, stabling, outbuildings and pasture land.

Introduction 
This bespoke light and airy and spacious home has an abundance of character installed yet still retains much of the original charm and features of the original farmhouse. Our clients have painstakingly sourced many old fixtures with a history of their own. To mention a few these include beautiful granite pillars to the entrance portico, reclaimed slate roof, original flagstone slate floor, and a Portland stone fireplace to the sitting room. Walls have been taken back to the bare stone and cob and rendered in lime plaster, as done originally in the olden days. Internally, the family sized accommodation comprises 6 bedrooms, 6 bath / shower rooms and 5 reception rooms that flow beautifully yet allow versatility to cater for modern day family needs as well as provide a careful balance of informal and formal living space.

Externally 
Externally, there has been a high level of expenditure on the surrounding gardens with hard landscaping to provide inter-connecting levels of lawn as well as an outdoor heated swimming pool encased by the original stone buildings of the original small holding. One outbuilding has been converted to excellent stabling for three horses together with separate hay barn and tack room in the courtyard whilst there remains a derelict outbuilding. Both outbuildings have the potential for ancillary accommodation, subject to any planning consents, to provide an income via potential holiday letting. The views from the property are inspiring and capture the beautiful landscape. Equally, this very private home is conveniently located to many local beautiful beaches, delightful walks, local boatyards as well as the facilities of Truro, the Cathedral city of Cornwall.

The Accommodation in brief. 
Ground Floor: Pillared Entrance Portico; Main Reception Hall; Drawing Room; Sitting Room; Study; En Suite / WC; Orangery; Dining Room; Rear Hall; Cloakroom; Kitchen / Breakfast Room; Utility Room. First Floor: served by two staircases: Main Landing; 6 Bedrooms; 5 En Suite; Family Bathroom; Inner Landing. Outside: Formal Landscaped Gardens; Swimming Pool with Ancillary Outbuildings; Courtyard with Derelict Barn; Converted Barn with Open Shed; Connecting 2 Stores; Paddocks surrounding, (in all around 8 acres).

Location summary (distances and times are approximate) 
Truro: 12 miles via car ferry. St Mawes: 11 miles. Portholland Beach: 2 miles. Caerhays Castle: 3 miles. Carne Beach : 5 miles. Newquay Airport: 20 miles with flights to London Gatwick (70 minutes), and Manchester (80 minutes). St Austell: 10 miles with London Paddington 4 hours by rail. Plymouth: 48 miles. Exeter: 84 miles.

Caerhays 
The privately owned Caerhays Estate offers beautiful natural gardens and was designed by John Nash around 200 years ago. Both the building and its occupants have played significant roles in the history of Cornwall.

Portholland Beach 
East and West Portholland are inhabited by around 40 permanent residents. Virtually all of the properties are owned by the Caerhays Castle Estate, one time home of the ancient Trevallion family. In 1860 the estate and community was sold to the Williams family, whom have sought, to this present day, to making the area a farm based community, detached from the hurley-burley of modern day life. Polsue is an equidistant between Truro, St Austell and St Mawes and is an ideal base for exploring deeper into the natural beauty of the Roseland Peninsula.

Truro 
The centre for administration, commerce and tourism, Truro, called after Tri-veru, meaning three rivers, has developed over the years as the city of Cornwall. It offers excellent private and public education and Truro College is now re-known for its excellent success in further education.

Historical Note 
Archived back to 1293 as Penmene, in Cornish 'Pen' meaning head, end or top, and 'Meneth' meaning hill, thus 'head of the hill' Higher Polmenna was one of 6 single farmsteads of Tretheake Manor and has archived references dating from 1465 to 1776. The early settlement in medieval times was strategically places at the highpoint where streams provided water. 'Poll' in Cornish means 'Pond', hence the name Higher Polmenna. Much of the western part of the Caerhays Eastate was formerly neighboured by the ancient Manor of Tretheake and occupied most of the eastern third of Veryan. It was surveyed as part of the Doomsday book and was originally owned by the Bodruggan family, who lost the land in the War of the Roses to the Edgecumbes of whom were well connected by the Trevannions of Caerhays. Both the local farmsteads of Penheakin and Higher Polmenna, (then owned by the Robartes), were surveyed in 1695 as part of the Lanhydrock Estate. ...

Higher Polmenna Today - A brief tour. 
From a wrought iron and granite-pillared gateway, a landscaped pathway leads to the impressive covered main entrance portico. A feature are two granite rounded pillars reclaimed from a manor house in the Bodmin area. The (18'9 x 14'7) reception hall has a beautiful oak parquet floor, lime plastered walls, open beams and a fireplace with a ceramic wood burner inset as a focal point. Two openings lead to a dining room and a sitting room. A further doorway leads to the formal drawing room which has a stone inglenook fireplace with a bread oven (with a cast iron door) and a wood burner inset. The room has a matching parquet floor and open beams as the reception room. The dining room has an original flagstone slate floor, inglenook fireplace with bread oven and wood burner inset. The ceiling has open beams. An opening leads to the rear hall which has doors to a stylish cloakroom / wc, utility / boot room and kitchen / breakfast room. At one end is a featured reclaimed...

The Outbuildings 
The curving entrance driveway leads to a concreted courtyard where a 30' x 16' derelict barn is situated to one side and a converted barn to the opposite. This 37' x 18'5 main barn comprises of three individual stables with connecting tack stores as well as a 14'5 x 7' open hay barn. From the courtyard, connecting landscaped paths lead to the gardens and the swimming pool area. To one side of the pool are three stone outbuildings, originally the old piggery, comprising a 8' x 7'10 store, 7'10 x 7'1 water filtration room and 8' x 8'4 private water pump room.

The Gardens 
The newly landscaped gardens have still to mature but surround the property, and are bordered by Cornish wall and fencing. A formal entrance path leads to the main entrance. Areas of level lawn are dispersed. To the rear is an outdoor heated pool with patio.

The Grounds 
Purchased by our clients are two large paddocks front and rear plus a further area from the gardens to the side. (In total area 8 acres.)

Services 
Mains electricity. Private water and drainage. Oil fired central heating. Air source heating for the pool. Electric Aga. Satellite television. Telephone (Broadband enabled).

Energy Performance Certificate Rating ? D. 

Notice 
Every effort has been made with these details but accuracy is not guaranteed and they are not to form part of a contract. Representation or warranty is not given in relation to this property. An Energy Performance Certificate is available upon request. All negotiations must be with H Tiddy. Before proceeding to purchase, buyers should consider an independent check of all aspects of the property

More information from this agent

Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs)

Listing History

Added on Rightmove:
14 November 2016

Nearest station

  • St. Austell (7.4 mi)
Distances are straight line measurements from centre of postcode

Nearest schools

Use the school checker

To view this property or request more details, contact:

H Tiddy, St Mawes, Truro

The Square, St. Mawes, TR2 5AG

01326 455026 Local call rate

How much will it cost me to call the number displayed on the site?

Standard geographic charges from landlines and mobiles apply and calls may be included in your telecom provider's call package.

Floorplans


To view this property or request more details, contact:

H Tiddy, St Mawes, Truro

The Square, St. Mawes, TR2 5AG

01326 455026 Local call rate

How much will it cost me to call the number displayed on the site?

Standard geographic charges from landlines and mobiles apply and calls may be included in your telecom provider's call package.

Map & Street View

Nearest station

  • St. Austell (7.4 mi)
Distances are straight line measurements from centre of postcode

To view this property or request more details, contact:

H Tiddy, St Mawes, Truro

The Square, St. Mawes, TR2 5AG

01326 455026 Local call rate

How much will it cost me to call the number displayed on the site?

Standard geographic charges from landlines and mobiles apply and calls may be included in your telecom provider's call package.

Disclaimer - Property reference 7113961. The information displayed about this property comprises a property advertisement. Rightmove.co.uk makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the advertisement or any linked or associated information, and Rightmove has no control over the content. This property advertisement does not constitute property particulars. The information is provided and maintained by H Tiddy, St Mawes, Truro. Please contact the selling agent or developer directly to obtain any information which may be available under the terms of The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007 or the Home Report if in relation to a residential property in Scotland.

Map data OpenStreetMap contributors.