10 bedroom detached house for saleGreenham Barton, Greenham, Wellington, Somerset
- Charming Grade I Listed Manor House believed to date back to the 12th Century and now in need of restoration.
- Most attractive, partially walled gardens with former tennis court, ponds, stone Ash House and adjoining apple orchard.
- Further former vegetable gardens with traditional stone outbuildings.
- Adjoining land comprising predominantly pasture, but with some woodland plantations and amenity and conservation land.
- Set in about 53.75 acres.
- For sale as a whole or in two separate lots by private treaty.
Greenham Barton offers potential purchasers the exceedingly rare opportunity to acquire a substantial, historic, and most attractive Grade I Listed Manor House now in need of restoration, and with the added benefit of being set within about 53.75 acres of land.
The manor house, which is understood to date back to the 12th century, was rebuilt in around 1403, and is said to have consisted originally of living quarters around a central courtyard, with the Great Hall being a later addition during the 16th century. Parts of the house, including the arches and certain windows, are said to date from the reign of Richard II, whilst many changes, along with the addition of the Great Hall, appear to have occurred during the reign of Henry VIII. One of the most impressive features of the property is the Great Hall plasterwork ceiling by Lewis Smallcorn of Bath.
Like several other manor houses in the local area, Greenham Barton belonged to the Bluett family for many years; the Drawing Room includes the Bluett family coat of arms, comprising three eagles, in moulded plaster above the fireplace. The ownership of the Bluett family ceased in around 1858, when gambling debts are said to have resulted in a sale of the property to the Reverend William Rayer of Tiverton. The manor house was restored by a subsequent owner, Harold Fry, during the late 1920s, after deteriorating during the First World War. Greenham Barton was then acquired by the current vendor in 1957. Tradition has it that the owner of Greenham Barton is the historical Lord of the Milverton Hundred.
Map & Street View
Street View is unavailable in this location
Disclaimer - Property reference TMC160024. The information displayed about this property comprises a property advertisement. Rightmove.co.uk makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the advertisement or any linked or associated information, and Rightmove has no control over the content. This property advertisement does not constitute property particulars. The information is provided and maintained by Humberts, Holiday Complexes. Please contact the selling agent or developer directly to obtain any information which may be available under the terms of The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007 or the Home Report if in relation to a residential property in Scotland.
* The speed displayed is the maximum broadband speed package available on comparethemarket.com. These may be lower at peak times and can be affected by a range of technical and environmental factors. The speed you receive where you live may be lower than that listed above. Fibre/cable services at your postcode are subject to availability. You can confirm availability on the provider's website. The information is provided and maintained by Decision Technologies Limited.
Map data ©OpenStreetMap contributors.