7 bedroom detached house for saleFlint Hill Park, Winwick
Guide Price £2,950,000
- 5 Reception Rooms, 7 Bedrooms
- Coach House with 2 Bedrooms
- Orchard Cottage with 3 Bedrooms
- Stabling, Paddock Land, EPC = F
- Gardens and Parkland
...Flint Hill House is Georgian. Interesting residents over the years have included Sir Geoffrey Bates, former Chairman of Cunard. Sir Geoffrey owned Flint Hill Park from 1940-50 prior to inheriting Gyrn Castle, Flintshire. The present owners have lived here since 1964. Set in the middle of its own grounds, which extend to include majestic parkland gardens and banks of glorious rhododendrons, the core of the main house offers period poise and balance with charming Georgian details including cornicing and shutters in the principal reception rooms, a beautiful panelled hallway all with elegant, polished oak floorboards. Views of the gardens and neighbouring countryside can be admired from almost every room in the house. Rooms of note include the magnificent entrance hall as well as the 35 ft. long drawing room - the front half of the floor is sprung and was formerly used as a dance floor.
The dining room lies opposite, conveniently near to the kitchen/breakfast room, complete with Clive Christian wall and floor units and Aga. The charming and original Butlers pantry, with a range of wooden wall and floor units and a teak sink, connects the two. There is excellent everyday living space by way of a sitting room and further
family room. The latter could operate well as an office or large study. There is a separate computer room with broadband. A large billiard room with a bar area lies beyond and provides a perfect room for entertaining, with French windows that open directly on to the terrace - that skirts the side of the property - and walled Garden. There are a total of seven bedrooms in the main house including the principal bedroom suite with dressing room and a separate bathroom opposite. A double sided cupboard in the dressing room is an original feature with staff and master doors to ensure that the two would never meet. There are three bath/shower rooms as well as an original laundry room complete with copper airing pipes and ample heated cupboards. For more detailed information on layout, please consult the floorplans. It is worth noting that Flint Hill House together with cottages and outbuildings are not listed.
The original property was built by Earl Craven of Coombe Abbey in 1640 as a Hunting Lodge on vast lands given to him by King Charles II. During the Great Plague Earl Craven remained in London helping to maintain order and donated property for burial ground. He was granted a share of North Carolina Craven County. The Flint Hill Estate continued to be leased by the nobility namely Duke of Richmond; Earl of Berkeley; Earl of Abington; Viscount Norman; Baron Boston. In 1767 Flint Hill became the marital home of Thos Craven (later 6th Earl) and Right Hon Lady Elizabeth Berkeley, daughter of 4th Earl of Berkeley. Their six children were born here and their third and youngest son was the traveller Keppell Richard Craven. The 6th Baron Craven built Craven Cottage in 1780 later to become the home of Fulham F.C. The 6th Baron Craven died in 1791 his widow, Baroness Craven became Magravine of Anspach following her marriage to the Margrave and continued to own the Flint Hill Estate until 1795 when she sold the Estate to Sir James Langham of Cottesbrooke.
GARDENS, GROUNDS AND PADDOCK LAND
The gardens surrounding the house are wonderfully secure and studded with a variety of specimen trees including oak and chestnut. The beautifully enclosed walled garden, has a central lawn with an ornamental roundel, with deep flower beds on two sides and a former apple store, which has been converted to a potting shed, leading directly into the new greenhouse. The terrace adjoins the house on one side and a gravel path skirts the lawn area and leads through to the main garden by way of two sets of wrought iron gates. To the other side of the retaining wall is a chequered side terrace with beds containing exotic offerings including 2 fig trees and vine. There is also a charming old fashioned outdoor swimming pool (currently not in use).
The property is surrounded by its own paddock land. The gardens and land extend to about 28 acres.
South and West Wings offer a great deal of flexibility and are attached to the main house yet also benefit from their own external entrances. They are arranged around a pretty brick built courtyard that lies to the rear of the house and also comprises the stable block.
This can be accessed from the first floor of the principal house or via its own external staircase. Arranged on one level, positioned above a run of three loose boxes and double garage, South Wing comprises two bedrooms, bathroom, kitchen, dining room (with broadband connection) and sitting room.
This wing has been recently modernised by the current owner to include a wonderfully large, airy dining/living room on the ground floor (just under 30 ft. in length) with an equally impressive space above that could operate as a fantastic fourth bedroom with its en suite bathroom or a first floor
sitting room. Both rooms boast splendid solid oak floors. There are three first floor bedrooms and a bathroom. Aside from the bar and living/dining Room, the ground floor comprises a shower room, an entrance hall and kitchen.
THE COACH HOUSE
An attractive brick built house at the entrance to the courtyard complex. It has recently been refurbished and comprises an entrance porch, dining room, drawing room, sitting room, cloakroom, a newly fitted kitchen, two bedrooms
and bathroom. There are new oak floorboards in all the reception rooms and the house has a front and back door.
Approached by a separate drive at the entrance to the courtyard, Orchard Cottage functions as a comfortable three bedroom house. It currently comprises three bedrooms, En suite bathroom, and shower room to the first floor, with a ground floor sitting room, dining room and kitchen. In all instances, please consult the floorplans for more detailed information.
Within the Courtyard is a double garage. There are 9 loose boxes as well as a traditional barn. There are further outbuildings adjacent to Orchard Cottage which may be suitable for development under permitted development rights.
Mains electricity and mains water. There is also a private water supply by way of a fresh water spring to the Main House. Private drainage.
FIXTURES AND FITTINGS
All carpets, curtains, blinds, light fittings, garden ornaments and equipment are specifically excluded from the sale but may be available by separate negotiation.
From London take the M1 to junction 18, signposted to Northampton. Follow the A428 towards West Haddon, taking the 2nd exit at the first roundabout, the 1st exit at the second roundabout and the 1st at the third. Straight after turning left at the third roundabout, turn first left towards Winwick & Yelvertoft. Continue forwards, going straight over the small crossroads that you will reach in 1.5 miles. Continue for approximately 1/3rd of a mile and the gated entrance to Flint Hill Park will be found on the left hand side. Follow the tree lined drive forwards, branching left to access the main house and gardens. Follow the main driveway as it bends round to the right and continues to the Coach House, Courtyard Complex, South & West Wings and drive leading to Orchard Cottage.
More information from this agent
To view this media, please visit the on-line version of this page at www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-54782606.html
Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) graphs
Map & Street View
Street View is unavailable in this location
Disclaimer - Property reference MAH150089. The information displayed about this property comprises a property advertisement. Rightmove.co.uk makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the advertisement or any linked or associated information, and Rightmove has no control over the content. This property advertisement does not constitute property particulars. The information is provided and maintained by King West, Market Harborough. Please contact the selling agent or developer directly to obtain any information which may be available under the terms of The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007 or the Home Report if in relation to a residential property in Scotland.
Map data ©OpenStreetMap contributors.