4 bedroom semi-detached house for saleThe Square, Elham, Canterbury, Kent
- An Important & Imposing Period House
- Situated in a Delightful Period Square in a Sought After Village
- With Beautiful Landscaped Garden, Detached Outbuilding
- Private Off-Road Parking to the Front
The Old School House is an important and imposing 4 bedroom suite period house, situated in a delightful period square, just off the High Street of the sought after village of Elham. It enjoys a beautiful landscaped garden, with an excellent detached outbuilding, currently providing storage and a gymnasium, but that could be utilised as additional accommodation or a garage. There is private off road parking to the front of the house.
The property is Grade II listed, as being of architectural or historic interest. The accommodation has been extremely well maintained by the current owner, with considerable updating, but retaining its character, poise and charm. Particular features include a stunning hand built kitchen by Thoroughly Wood, with solid wood, bespoke hand painted units, granite worktops, underfloor heating and a comprehensive range of fitted and integrated appliances, including a Rangemaster electric cooker. From the kitchen, a broad opening leads to the striking sage green triple aspect, double glazed conservatory, again with underfloor heating and with glazed double doors out to the terrace and rear garden.
Period features include a super drawing room with inglenook fireplace and wood burner, having exposed timbers and sash cord windows, together with a hugely appealing dining room with 3/4 height polished wood paneling and a further inglenook fireplace with wood burner.
On the first floor, there are four double bedroom suites, two of which are bathrooms and two shower rooms. This offers the flexibility to utilize some of the rooms for bed and breakfast with three of the rooms taking advantage of the lovely views across the period square. The bedroom to the rear of the property, is double aspect and also has a lovely view of the garden.
The Old School House was originally known as Elven House. It was built in 1725, although with possibly an earlier core and featuring a 1725 date stone to the right gable end. In 1728, having been bequeathed by the will of Sir John Williams in 1723 to provide education for local boys, the house became a school. The main reception room was used as the principal school room, whilst the dining room was the masters sitting room. The current owner of the property has a copy of the book, The Boot Shoe Boys, which was specifically written about the Elham charity school and the boys who attended.
GROUNDS AND GARDENS
The gardens are a particular feature of the property, being of a good size and screened by evergreens. The principal area is laid to lawn with shrubs, bushes, evergreens, roses, spring bulbs and a variety of mature trees including cherry and silver birch. There are terraces and an Amdega summerhouse, together with two raised vegetable beds. The garden is enclosed by a combination of flint walls, fences and wrought iron railings, making for a secure and private garden.
Situated to the side of the property and approached off St Marys Road, there is detached outbuilding, built in keeping and subdivided to currently provide storage and a gymnasium. It could easily be utilised as a single garage or further accommodation, subject to any requisite planning consents being obtained. There is private off road parking to the front.
The property is situated in a picturesque square just off the main street in the highly sought after village of Elham. The thriving village itself offers a shop/newsagents, a C of E primary school (Ofsted Good), doctors surgery, two churches and two public houses, together with the Abbotts Fireside Bar & Restaurant. Elham has been named Kent Village of the Year and is on a bus route between Folkestone and Canterbury. The Cathedral City boys and girls grammar schools. The Marlowe and Gulbenkian theatres are both nearby.
SPORT AND LOCAL AMENITIES
Sporting and recreational opportunities in the area include, county cricket at the St Lawrence Ground, Canterbury, rowing and sailing on the coast, a sports centre in Folkestone, Lydden Race Circuit, golf at Etchinghill and pleasant walks and rides over the various footpaths in the vicinity (both the Elham Valley Way and North Downs Way can be found locally).
The property is well placed for access both on to the A2 and Junction 11 of the M20, which provides excellent access to the channel Port of Dover, the Eurotunnel terminal at Cheriton and Ashford International for Eurostar. This station also offers the High Speed Rail to London (St Pancras 37 mins).
Follow the A2 towards Dover and take the sliproad south of Bridge, signposted Bishopsbourne and Barham. Continue along this road passing through Kingston and Barham and on in to the village of Elham. In the centre of the village, turn left on to St Marys Road. The Square will be found on the right hand side, with The Old School House being the first property on the right being identified by our 'For Sale' board.
Note: The location plans are for identification purposes only and should not be relied upon for accuracy. Photographs are not true depictions of fixtures and fittings. Wide angle lenses may be used. CAN160030 |150816|v1
Map & Street View
Street View is unavailable in this location
Disclaimer - Property reference CAN160030. The information displayed about this property comprises a property advertisement. Rightmove.co.uk makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the advertisement or any linked or associated information, and Rightmove has no control over the content. This property advertisement does not constitute property particulars. The information is provided and maintained by Humberts, Canterbury. Please contact the selling agent or developer directly to obtain any information which may be available under the terms of The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007 or the Home Report if in relation to a residential property in Scotland.
Map data ©OpenStreetMap contributors.