9 bedroom detached house for saleHindolveston Road, Foulsham, Dereham, Norfolk, NR20
Sold STC £1,650,000
- 5 reception rooms
- 9 bedrooms
- Wine cellar
- Tithe barn of approximatey 1,700 sq ft
- Landscaped gardens and grounds
A beautifully presented Grade II listed former rectory dating from the 17th century with later Georgian and Victorian alterations set in mature gardens and grounds on the edge of this popular North Norfolk village
The Old Rectory is situated next to the church on the northern side of the village of Foulsham, a picturesque and popular North Norfolk village which was largely rebuilt after a fire in 1770 and therefore contains a large number of attractive Georgian houses. The village still retains many amenities including a post office and stores, public house and village school. The popular Georgian town of Holt is 9 miles to the north and is renowned as a wonderful shopping centre with many excellent independent shops as well as being the home of Gresham's public school. Beeston Hall Preparatory School is situated further to the east along the coast near Sheringham. The North Norfolk Coast, much of which is classified as an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, and is a Heritage coastline offers many opportunities for sailing, walking, golf at Brancaster and Sheringham and bird watching at a number of reserves including Cley-next-the-Sea. The market town of Fakenham is about 7 miles and has further shopping facilities whilst the Cathedral city of Norwich is some 17 miles to the southeast and has excellent shopping and leisure facilities together with cultural and leisure activities for most tastes. There is a mainline railway station with regular trains to London Liverpool Street with an approximate journey time of 1 hour 50 minutes. The airport to the north of the city has regular flights to the UK, Europe and beyond with most destinations available via Schiphol.
The Old Rectory is a most attractive country house, Grade II listed and believed to date from the 17th century although essentially a Georgian house of circa 1770 with later alterations and additions to the south completed in 1862. The Georgian part of the house is three storey with a central pedimented parapet which is repeated on the rear elevation of the property as is the corbelled cornicing running under the guttering. It is generally presumed that the central part of the present Old Rectory was built soon after the great Foulsham fire of 1770 when the original parsonage lost its thatched roof. There is detailed material on the later Victorian additions to the house to the south, in Norwich library. The house has some particularly fine and well proportioned rooms and retains much period detail with an elegant main staircase, many original fireplaces, sash windows, original shutters, moulded cornice work and panelled doors.
The property was acquired by the current owner in 2006 and significant refurbishment work has been carried out since then including extensive redecoration, the provision of a new custom built contemporary kitchen/breakfast room, and refurbishment of all the bathrooms. Landscaping work has also been carried out in the gardens and grounds. The main reception rooms flow beautifully from one to the other with fine views over the mature gardens and grounds. The new contemporary kitchen, also overlooking the gardens, is adjoined by a games room creating a wonderful family living space in the centre of the house.
The house is approached from the west by a gravelled drive which leads in a horseshoe sweep around a large central area of lawned garden which has mixed shrub and herbaceous borders and a particularly magnificent sweet chestnut tree. This area of the garden is sheltered to the north by a high brick and flint wall, south facing and trained with various climbing shrubs, rambling roses and fruit trees.
Situated to the southwest is the tithe barn (please refer to the floorplans) providing garaging wit h an inspection pit and some fine original stabling. Adjoining the barn is the original village fire engine house built in 1853. There is a further brick and pantile outbuilding providing garaging and a wood store. Close to the house at the northern end is a range of single storey outbuildings, boiler house and an octagonal game larder, all of which encompass a delightful courtyard garden which could be used as an eating and entertaining area.
The gardens and grounds are a particularly outstanding feature of the property and are arranged as follows; to the east and running the full length of the house there is a stone paved terrace approached by French windows from the main reception rooms as well as the kitchen. This overlooks a large area of formal lawned garden bordered by well stocked and mixed shrub and herbaceous borders. There are a variety of fine ornamental trees and areas of formal garden with well stocked beds and mixed shrub and herbaceous borders. The land in all extends to 1.86 acres (est).
Mains water, electricity and drainage, oil fired central heating and Aga.
Broadland District Council: Band H.
Fixtures & Fittings
All fixtures and fittings including fitted carpets and curtains are specifically excluded from the sale, but may be available in addition, subject to separate negotiation.
Strictly by appointment with Savills. If there is any point which is of particular importance to you, we invite you to discuss this with us, especially before you travel to view the property.
Savills, their clients and any joint agents give notice that:
1. They are not authorised to make or give any representations or warranties in relation to the property either here or elsewhere, either on their own behalf or on behalf of their client or otherwise. They assume no responsibility for any statement that may be made in these particulars. These particulars do not form part of any offer or contract and must not be relied upon as statements or representations of fact.
2. Any areas, measurements or distances are approximate. The text, photographs and plans are for guidance only and are not necessarily comprehensive. It should not be assumed that the property has all necessary planning, building regulation or other consents and Savills have not tested any services, equipment or facilities. Purchasers must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise.
Acreage: 1.86 Acres
Leave Norwich travelling northwest, take the A1067 Fakenham Road passing through Drayton and Lenwade. Just beyond Bawdeswell and Foxley, take the turning to the right signposted 'Foulsham'. Proceed through the village and the property will be found beyond the church on the right hand side. The postcode for the property is NR20 5SF.
More information from this agent
To view this media, please visit the on-line version of this page at www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-55978888.html
Map & Street View
Street View is unavailable in this location
Disclaimer - Property reference NRS160228. The information displayed about this property comprises a property advertisement. Rightmove.co.uk makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the advertisement or any linked or associated information, and Rightmove has no control over the content. This property advertisement does not constitute property particulars. The information is provided and maintained by Savills, Norwich. Please contact the selling agent or developer directly to obtain any information which may be available under the terms of The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007 or the Home Report if in relation to a residential property in Scotland.
Map data ©OpenStreetMap contributors.