6 bedroom detached house for saleHales Hall Lane, Hales Green, Norwich, Norfolk, NR14
Sold STC £2,850,000
- 7 reception rooms
- 6 bedrooms
- Gate House Cottage
- Further 3 bedroom cottage
- Grade I listed Tudor barn
A picturesque and historic Grade I listed Tudor country house with a magnificent Great Barn with planning permission for use as a wedding venue set in extensive moated grounds of about 9 acres
Hales Hall is situated in an unspoilt rural position approached over Hales Common and surrounded by gently undulating farmland and woodland. Norwich, the Cathedral city and regional centre of East Anglia, is about 13 miles to the northwest and the Waveney Valley market towns of Beccles and Bungay are both 5 miles. Nearby, the town of Loddon has good everyday shopping facilities and access to the south Broads Networks can be gained from the River Chet, which flows into the River Yare. Southwold, on the Suffolk Heritage Coast, is about 17 miles. There are mainline railway stations at both Norwich and closer to London, Diss (17 miles) with regular trains to London Liverpool Street with an approximate journey time of 90 minutes.
There has been a house on this site for upwards of 1,000 years. The present house and barn were built by Sir James Hobart in 1478 and the house we see now is a surviving wing of this great Tudor house, which was purchased by the previous owners in 1971 and an extensive restoration was carried out at the time. Situated in the grounds to the south of the main house is the Great Barn, at 184ft the largest brick built Tudor barn in England. This was also restored and was reroofed in 1996. The barn has become a deservedly venue for weddings (http://haleshallbarn.co.uk/) with current planning permission for up to forty-eight weddings per year and a significant income can be generated from this. The owners have also enjoyed making the property available for charity fundraising and theatre/concert events.
The current owners acquired the property in 2011 and since then significant restoration and refurbishment has been carried out to the highest standards. Much work has been carried out including total overhaul and restoration of the main 1601 roof, which has been retiled with the reinstatement of thirteen dormer windows to the north and south sides, rebuilding of the original Tudor chimneys in Tudor bricks, reinstatement of seven bricked in windows with new oak frames and leaded lights to the match the originals, rewiring throughout, installing a five amp lighting circuit in all rooms and an LED lighting system, and re-plumbing throughout with cast iron radiators in the principal rooms. Internally, all the walls have been insulated and re-plastered in lime plaster with 50mm of internal wall insulation and 150mm of insulation throughout the new roof. A magnificent custom-built kitchen with an Aga has been installed and with the provision of six new bathrooms; five of which have cast iron roll top baths with marble vanity units, together with power showers in custom-made shower enclosures by Hans Grohe & Philip Starck WCs. In addition, a new oak staircase rising to all three floors has been installed and a new drainage system with a Klargester sewerage treatment installed at the main house as well as an industrial septic tank system for the lavatories associated with the barn. A full list and schedule of the extensive renovation works that have been carried out is available on request from the agents.
Hales Hall is situated in extensive moated gardens and grounds containing some magnificent topiary which compliment the buildings and create a fine setting for this historic property.
The present house and Great Barn were built by Sir James Hobart after he purchased Hales Hall in 1478, the property then incorporated the 13th century hall of Sir Roger de Hales whose daughter Alice married Thomas de Brotherton.
Sir James Hobart came from Monks Eleigh in Suffolk where his father's manor house still survives. He was a talented lawyer and judge and after 1485 became Henry VII's Attorney General, a post he held for 21 years. Sir James was a remarkably talented man and both he and his family were held in high regard. He paid for the repairs to the nave roof of Norwich Cathedral after a fire and helped compile the Statutes of Henry VII, the last book printed by William Caxton circa 1490. He died in 1517 and is buried in Norwich Cathedral. His youngest son Myles founded the line that built Blickling Hall, whilst the eldest son Walter and his family remained staunch Catholics after Henry VIII's reformation and faced huge fines as recusants. By 1647, their great fortune had run out and Hales Hall, mortgaged to the hilt, was acquired by Henry Humberston, a local property speculator. He sold the estate to Dionysia, Lady Williamson, the widow of a Lord Mayor of London. Of immense wealth and a descendant of the de Hales family, Lady Williamson gave some £11,000 towards the rebuilding of St. Pauls Cathedral and several other churches after the Great Fire of London in 1666. She has a fine alabaster
The house is approached from the east via a gravelled drive lined by a mixed avenue of maple, oak, chestnut and copper beech trees. The drive divides with a spur off to the left towards the Great Barn. The main drive leads through oak entrance gates and sweeps around to the south front of the house which overlooks the main formal gardens. The drive also divides and leads round to the Gate House Cottage and to the north of the house.
The gardens and grounds of Hales Hall are an outstanding feature and are arranged as follows; the main formal gardens lie to the south of the house and are extensively laid to lawn with a great variety of elaborately trimmed yew and box topiary. There are various ornamental trees including mulberry and magnolia. The drive curves round and leads under the Gate House Cottage joining with the north drive where there is a further extensive area of lawn and an avenue of beech trees with fine views over the surrounding meadow and farmland. Situated to the west of the formal gardens lies part of the original moat and there is a most attractive area of formal garden extending westwards from the Gate House Cottage lined by yew hedging with boxed topiary and well stocked mixed herbaceous beds with a variety of old fashioned rambling roses. This leads down to a seating area bordered by the moat. The shed is not included in the sale.
The Great Barn forms a splendid backdrop to the house situated to the north and is separated from the formal gardens by a fine red brick wall. To the north of the Great Barn, there is an extensive gravelled parking area and an oak framed cloisters with stone paving. Situated to the northwest of the barn, there is a range of single storey farm buildings divided into garaging and stores and where the male and female lavatories for the use of the barn are situated. To the south of the Great Barn, there is a further gravelled parking area which has been used for further parking. There is a well stocked mixed orchard and an area of meadowland. The whole area in all extends to 9 acres (est).
1. A footpath/bridle way passes along the north and east boundaries as shown marked by a dotted line on the site plan.
2. The shooting rights are not in hand.
3. The Kirby Cane Estate retains a historic right of access between points A and B on the site plan. However, a new farm access, provided outside the boundaries of the property is now used instead.
4. The area to the west of the moat is a Scheduled Ancient Monument.
5. Some of the photographs were taken by Simon Buck.
Mains water and electricity, new Klargester private drainage system and new propane gas central heating system.
South Norfolk District Council: Band G.
Fixtures & Fittings
All fixtures and fittings including fitted carpets and curtains are specifically excluded from the sale, but may be available in addition, subject to separate negotiation.
Strictly by appointment with Savills.
Savills, their clients and any joint agents give notice that:
1. They are not authorised to make or give any representations or warranties in relation to the property either here or elsewhere, either on their own behalf or on behalf of their client or otherwise. They assume no responsibility for any statement that may be made in these particulars. These particulars do not form part of any offer or contract and must not be relied upon as statements or representations of fact.
2. Any areas, measurements or distances are approximate. The text, photographs and plans are for guidance only and are not necessarily comprehensive. It should not be assumed that the property has all necessary planning, building regulation or other consents and Savills have not tested any services, equipment or facilities. Purchasers must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise.
Acreage: 9 Acres
Leave Norwich on the A146 Beccles Road and after passing Loddon and the turning to Hales on the left, continue for a short distance and turn right into a small slip road signposted 'Wash Lane' (also marked with a brown tourist sign to Hales Hall). After a short distance, turn right again and this leads onto an unmade road which crosses over Hales Common. At the end of this road, the drive to Hales Hall will be found. The postcode for the property is NR14 6FN. However, do not reply on Sat Nav which will take you to the wrong location. Co-ordinates for the Sat Nav are 52.5102, 1.4900 or use the directions above.
More information from this agent
To view this media, please visit the on-line version of this page at www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-56420875.html
Map & Street View
Street View is unavailable in this location
Disclaimer - Property reference NRS160003. The information displayed about this property comprises a property advertisement. Rightmove.co.uk makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the advertisement or any linked or associated information, and Rightmove has no control over the content. This property advertisement does not constitute property particulars. The information is provided and maintained by Savills, Norwich. Please contact the selling agent or developer directly to obtain any information which may be available under the terms of The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007 or the Home Report if in relation to a residential property in Scotland.
Map data ©OpenStreetMap contributors.