Land for saleWhytefield Road, Ramsey, PE26
Offers in Region of £900,000
- LOCAL COUNCIL PLAN-ALLOCATED BROWN FIELD SITE SITE
- PROSPECTS FOR RESIDENTIAL DEVELOPEMENT
- CURRENTLY COMMERCIAL USEAGE
- CAR SALES, OFFICE, WORKSHOP & YARD
- POTENTIAL FOR PHASE 1 & PHASE 2 SCHEMES.
- SITUATED ADJACENT TO THE TOWN CENTRE
- VERBAL OR WRITTEN INTEREST INVITED
- DRAFT PROPOSALS FOR 16-34 UNITS (STPP)
BRIEF HISTORY OF RAMSEY TOWN CAMBS : Ramsey, an historic English market-town in the district of Huntingdonshire and the county of Cambridgeshire, and it's outlying villages of Ramsey Forty Foot, Ramsey Heights, Ramsey St Mary's and Ramsey Mereside.
Ramsey evolved from the foundation of the Abbey in the year 969 A.D. However, it was not until the beginning of the 13th Century that the population was such for it to be classed as a town. The weekly market came into being, originally on a Wednesday and latterly on a Saturday, and there was an annual three-day fair on the Feast of St Benedict.
The Abbey is one of the pivotal features of today's Ramsey town and has a fascinating history.
It was thought to have been founded by Earl Ailwyn, an effigy of whom is thought to be within the Abbey dating from 1230. One of the local comprehensive schools today bears his name.
Considerable damage was inflicted upon the Abbey by Geoffrey de Mandeville in 1173; he expelled the monks and used the buildings as a fortress.
At the time of the Dissolution in 1539 there were still 34 monks. The Abbey lands were sold to Sir Richard Williams (aka Cromwell). The Cromwells built a mansion on the site of what may have been the Lady Chapel, since the 1930's this has formed part of the Abbey school. The St Thomas-a-Beckett Church, originally thought to have been built as a guesthouse of the Monastery. When it was no longer required for this purpose, the addition of a chancel and a font converted it to the parochial church at the end of the 12th Century. Alterations have been periodically made and a tower, constructed with stone from the Abbey, was added in 1672.
The area is slowly developing, albeit with housing for small family's and single occupancy flats it does bring more people to the town. The town is served by ample education and leisure facilities, swimming, squash courts, gymnasium, tennis and various sports and social clubs.
The main shopping area is around what I call the T-bone section at the high street junction connecting with the Great Whyte.
This was originally an open waterway connecting with Bury Brook. In 1852 a tunnel was constructed, this was inadequate to cope with floodwaters and so in 1854 two additional culverts were added. Today, the street is divided down its centre by a raised pathway to form parking bays.
The shopping centre lies at the southern end of Great Whyte and along the main High Street
More information from this agent
To view this media, please visit the on-line version of this page at www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-58560209.html
Map & Street View
Street View is unavailable in this location
Disclaimer - Property reference MJREF_004431. The information displayed about this property comprises a property advertisement. Rightmove.co.uk makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the advertisement or any linked or associated information, and Rightmove has no control over the content. This property advertisement does not constitute property particulars. The information is provided and maintained by Malcolm James Estate Agents Ltd , Whittlesey. Please contact the selling agent or developer directly to obtain any information which may be available under the terms of The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007 or the Home Report if in relation to a residential property in Scotland.
Map data ©OpenStreetMap contributors.