6 bedroom house for saleEggington, Leighton Buzzard, Bedfordshire, LU7
Sold STC £1,495,000
- Early 20th century former hunting lodge
- Six bedrooms, five bathrooms
- Four reception rooms, solid oak fitted kitchen/breakfast room
- Potential for further development for an annexe (STPP)
- Private formal gardens with heated swimming pool
- Manège, tennis court, garaging
- Stable yard with five loose boxes, tack room, hay barn
- Four separate paddocks and the manège totalling approx. 5 acres
Cellar and Boot Room
An inner hallway leads to an inner lobby which has a second staircase to the first floor and a feature stained glass window overlooking the hall. A door leads to the steps to the cellar which has power and light connected. The boot room has a courtesy door to the courtyard, original built-in shelved storage cupboards and a butlers sink with a storage cupboard beneath. Space is provided for a washing machine and a tumble dryer concealed behind sliding doors with shelved pantry cupboards above.
From the inner hall, steps lead up to a door to an inner lobby and the kitchen/breakfast room which overlooks the gardens and has a courtesy door to the courtyard. There is range of bespoke solid oak storage units, and drawers, one with a built-in cutlery tray. There are pan drawers, a pull out corner carousel unit and a recycling drawer. In addition, there are two spice cupboards and honed black granite work surfaces. Appliances include a dishwasher and an Aims electric Aga Module which is remote controlled and has three ovens. Adjoining the Aga, there is an electric cooker with two ovens and a ceramic hob. There is space for an American style fridge/freezer. The flooring has been laid with slate tiles. There is an intercom entry phone for the front gates and access is provided to the garage.
The utility room/pantry has a rear aspect, shelving and space and full plumbing for a washing machine. There is also space for a fridge or freezer.
An original 1905 door opens to the entrance vestibule which has windows on two sides and a quarry tiled floor. A stained glass door opens to the reception hall which has an ornate carved staircase to the first floor with an understairs storage cupboard. There is a built-in coats cupboard with hanging space and shelving above, and an intercom entry phone for the front gates. The cloakroom includes a wash basin and a separate WC.
Drawing Room and Sitting Room
The drawing room is dual aspect with glazed double doors to the gardens. The marble fireplace has a wooden surround and an open fire. The sitting room overlooks the gardens, has wooden flooring and a corner fireplace with a carved wooden surround, a stone hearth and an open fire.
Dining Room and Study/Playroom
The dining room has glazed double doors to the garden and there is a feature stained glass window. The stone fireplace has a marble insert, a stone hearth and an open fire. The study/playroom is dual aspect, has a wooden floor and display shelving built into the original fireplace.
History and Heritage
Standing south of Eggington House, the Lodge was originally intended for the hunting and shooting guests of the Adams family, who owned much of the surrounding land. Consequently, the lodge was known as the shooting box in its early life and was originally much smaller. Seymour Hicks, a famous actor/manager, author of many plays and a member of Gaiety Company, and his authoress wife Ellaline Terriss, are among many who came down from London for shooting weekends.
John Adams had the property rebuilt in 1905 after it was damaged in a fire. Mr Adams was fond of visiting sales and buying oddments and some of his purchases were used at the back of the Lodge. The sundial, dated 1679 and now set in a small window frame on the south wall, did not come from the original building, but was brought from Gaddesden by the Sunmans when they moved in. Mr Sunman had an extension built at the back which included a games room and garages which adjoined the flat and garages of Eggington House.
Eggington today is a relatively small village with some 225 residents. The village offers an Indian restaurant/public house, a church and a village hall which was formerly the village school which closed in 1984. The village hall also holds a daily nursery school. Today some of the closest schools to the village include Leighton Middle School and Cedars Upper School. Leighton Buzzard is approximately 2.5 miles away and offers a variety of shops, supermarkets and social facilities as well as a mainline railway station with services to London Euston in 27 minutes.
The old village of Eggington was known as Egonesham which is recorded in a chronicle of AD 571 and clearings were made in an oak forest in AD 600 at Aecendon, the old English name for Ekendon, meaning Oak Hill or Eccas Hill. When Eggington was in the Manshead Hundred, the first record of population was made in 1671 when there were 115 inhabitants. Later in 1776, there were 206, the same number as the year 1801. The highest number of people was in 1861 at 439, which gradually reduced over the years to 228 in 1951. The record in 1981 had dropped to 207. Although there are more houses today, not so many people live in each dwelling. An investigation made in 1846/47 showed that the only education children received in Eggington was at the church Sunday school where children were taught by four men and ten women teachers, all unpaid. In 1848, a village school was opened and each child paid 2d a week, or 3d a week for children from families that were better off.
Formal Gardens and Tennis Court
The private principal gardens are landscaped and laid to lawn with a paved seating area, a pond and numerous flower and shrub beds and borders containing specimen and mature shrubs. There is also a variety of mature trees including a monkey puzzle tree and fir trees, and a wild wooded area. There is also an enclosed full size tennis court with a tarmacadam base.
The paddock land has been separated into four paddocks, three of paddocks of which have water troughs and one has a field shelter. The paddocks are surrounded by post and rail fencing, and mature hedging. The perimeter has also been enclosed with cattle fencing. The grounds measure approximately 7 acres in total of which approximately 5 of those acres are made up of paddock land and the manège. Eggington Lodge backs onto open fields with far reaching views over countryside.
Stable Yard and Manège
The enclosed stable yard is block paved and comprises five loose boxes with lights connected with the majority of them having rubber matting laid. There is a tack room/feed room, a horse shower and a hay barn. Within the grounds, a timber five bar gate leads to an Olympic size manège which is surrounded by post and rail fencing with a rubber and sand base and overlooking an old oak tree.
Eggington Lodge is approached via electric wrought iron double gates and a sweeping driveway with gravelled and block paved parking. A picket gate leads to an enclosed garden which is laid to lawn with flower and shrub borders and an outdoor heated swimming pool with a paved surround. Further entertaining space includes a paved sun terrace with a timber pergola above, and a decked seating area. In addition, there is a storage shed and a pump room. The pool is heated via an air source heat pump with a chlorine feeder.
Bedroom four has a cast iron fireplace with an ornate wooden surround, a tiled hearth and an open fire. Natural light is provided via a side aspect and the en suite shower room includes a walk-in double shower with glass bricks allowing further natural light, a wash basin and a WC. Bedroom five has garden views and a range of built-in storage including a double wardrobe with double hanging space, and a shelved cupboard. The en suite shower room includes a shower cubicle with shelving to the side, a Vitra wash basin, and a WC with shelving above. Bedroom six overlooks the courtyard and was previously used as a gym. This room could be converted back to a bathroom as the necessary pipework is still in place.
Accessed from an inner landing, there is a games room which overlooks the formal gardens, swimming pool and paddock land beyond. The fireplace has a wooden surround, a tiled hearth and a working fire. Planning permission was previously granted to convert this room together with the garage beneath into an annexe.
There are two garages, the first one having timber double doors to the front, a storage cupboard with a potential door to the kitchen/breakfast room and the boiler room. Power and light are connected. The second garage also has double timber doors and power and light are connected.
First Floor Landing and Master Suite
The landing has an intercom entry phone for the front gates and leads to an inner landing which has a shelved linen cupboard, an airing cupboard and a feature stained glass window. There are further storage cupboards and access to the second staircase. The master bedroom overlooks the gardens and mature trees, and has a cast iron fireplace with a wooden surround and an open fire. There is a range of built-in wardrobes with double hanging space as well as shelved cupboards. The en suite bathroom comprises a freestanding roll top bath with a shower attachment, a shower cubicle, a wash basin and a high level WC. Café style shutters have been installed at the window to provided privacy.
Guest Bedroom and Bedroom Three
The guest bedroom has a window seat with views of the gardens and paddock land beyond. There is a built-in double wardrobe with hanging space and shelving. The en suite shower room includes a three piece suite of a shower cubicle, a Vitra wash basin, and a WC with shelving above. Bedroom three overlooks the courtyard and gardens, and has an en suite shower room comprising a shower cubicle with a rain shower and hand held shower, a Bora wash basin with storage drawers beneath, and a WC.
More information from this agent
To view this media, please visit the on-line version of this page at www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-59339399.html?premiumA=true
Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) graphs
Map & Street View
Street View is unavailable in this location
Disclaimer - Property reference AYL140067. The information displayed about this property comprises a property advertisement. Rightmove.co.uk makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the advertisement or any linked or associated information, and Rightmove has no control over the content. This property advertisement does not constitute property particulars. The information is provided and maintained by Michael Graham, Aylesbury. Please contact the selling agent or developer directly to obtain any information which may be available under the terms of The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007 or the Home Report if in relation to a residential property in Scotland.
Map data ©OpenStreetMap contributors.