5 bedroom equestrian facility for saleCarey, Hereford, Herefordshire, HR2
Sold STC £1,400,000
- 3 Bathrooms
- 5 Bedrooms
- 3 Reception Rooms
- 4525 Approx Sq Ft
A handsome country residence with excellent equestrian facilities in a beautiful location
Ref: P142512/F (Annexe); Ref: 151162 (Bedroom 6) Planning Approved.
Summary of Features
* Generously proportioned and substantial country residence (4,542 sq ft) * 5 spacious double bedrooms; 2 with en-suite facilities, a Jack & Jill bathroom, family bathroom * Planning consent for 6th bedroom, en-suite and 2 bedroom annexe over garage * Substantial Aga kitchen/breakfast room with wide glazed front aspect enjoying beautiful views * 4 reception rooms; drawing room with Minster stone fireplace, excellent utility room * American-barn with 9 brick stables, Claydon horse-walker, manège (c. 52m x 24m), level grazing pasture and paddocks. * Private mature gardens, attractive ornamental lake, large 3-bay garage with rooms above.
* Mileages: Ross-on-Wye 7 miles, Hereford 9 miles, Monmouth & Ledbury 15½ miles, Leominster 21 miles, Malvern 25½ miles, Hay-on-Wye 27 miles, Worcester & Cheltenham 30 miles, Cardiff 50 miles, Birmingham 76½ miles. * Road: M50 (Jct 4) 8 miles, M5 (Jct 8) 29 miles. * Railway: Hereford, Ledbury. * Airport: Bristol (64 miles), Birmingham (73½ miles).
In all about 34 Acres.
The charming hamlet of Carey is located in the unspoilt and tranquil Wye Valley, within the Wye Valley Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. This area offers a sought-after rural idyll enjoying a high degree of peace and tranquillity, yet is well-placed for the local market towns of Ross, Ledbury and Monmouth, with the city of Hereford only a short drive away. There are excellent road and rail links to the rest of the country.
The Gaer House
* The Gaer House is a beautifully presented family home; the property is light and airy and most reception rooms enjoy direct access to the terrace and garden with fabulous views over the pastureland and countryside beyond. * The original property dates back to 1784 and was extended in the 1950s. There is consent to create a 6th bedroom to the house and a 2 bedroom annexe/guest suite over the large garage. * With its fully glazed, south-west facing aspect and superb paved terrace, the spacious Aga kitchen with breakfast room is a wonderful living space and is perfect for entertaining. * There are 5 good-sized double bedrooms; the master suite with dressing room and en-suite bathroom; the other bedrooms all with built-in wardrobes. * All the ground floor rooms lead off a welcoming and impressive entrance hall with beautiful limestone flooring and a sweeping staircase leading to a galleried landing.
* Situated in a beautiful rural location within the centre of its gardens and overlooking all the land, the property enjoys a peaceful and private setting with excellent river frontage. * The level pastureland extends to some 30 acres of well-fenced and maintained paddocks, all with water supply. The layout has been designed to include a central avenue for easy access. * A large agricultural barn (c. 22m x 25m) incorporates 9 over-sized brick built stables (15ft x 15ft), grooms facilities and secure store room; in all c. 6,000 sq ft. * Manège (c. 52m x 24m) with silica sand and rubber surface, Claydon 5-horse walker. * The property is approached via its own private driveway leading to a large gravelled parking area and 3-bay garage. In addition, there is a second gated entrance which is currently closed.
Mains electricity & water. Private septic tank drainage. Oil fired central heating. Open fireplaces. Broadband is available and connected.
Herefordshire Council: 01432 260000.
Band G - £2,688.48 (2016/17).
EPC: Rated D.
By prior appointment via Grant & Co Estate Agents on 01531 637341.
Directions from Ross/M50
From Ross/M50 (Jct 4) take the A40 for about 1 mile and at the Wilton roundabout turn right onto the A49 towards Hereford. After Bridstow School turn right signposted to Hoarwithy. Follow the road into the village, passing the Post Office and turn right signposted Kings Caple. Immediately turn left to Carey (before the bridge) and continue into the hamlet, passing the "Cottage of Content" Inn on your left-hand-side. After a short distance, the driveway to the property will be found on your right-hand-side.
Directions from Hereford/Ledbury
From Hereford/Ledbury take the A438 to Dormington, turning south towards Mordiford & Fownhope on the B4224. Continue along this road for about 2½ miles and through Mordiford on to the B4224 towards Fownhope. After about 1¼ miles turn right onto the B4399 to Holme Lacy. On entering the village you will pass Herefordshire College of Technology on your right, take the first left turn and head towards Ballingham, passing Holme Lacy House. Continue for about 1½ miles and take the left-hand-turn signposted Ballingham/Carey (& The Cottage of Content). Continue along this road, do not turn off, following the road into the village of Carey. As you drop down the hill towards the Cottage of Content, the entrance to this property is on your left hand side.
The area offers a wealth of sporting and recreational facilities, including walking, fishing and riding, as well as a range of water sporting activities. The popular Goodrich Castle, Royal Forest of Dean and Symonds Yat are a short drive away. A variety of sports clubs can be found locally at Ross-on-Wye and include football, cricket, hockey and rowing clubs.
The region has a vibrant equestrian industry; particularly racing and dressage with a number of first class trainers and studs located nearby. There is good road access to Cheltenham Racecourse (home to National Hunt Racing), Worcester & Chepstow. There are numerous agricultural and equestrian centres all within sensible driving distances including The Three Counties Showground and Hartpury Equestrian College.
* Primary: Little Dewchurch, Kings Caple, Bridstow, Fownhope * Secondary: Schools in Ross-on-Wye and Hereford. Further information available at: www.herefordshire.gov.uk * Independent: Hereford and Monmouth provide outstanding independent schools. The Malvern, Gloucester, Worcester and Cheltenham schools are also within sensible driving distances. The specialist Steiner Academy is close by at Much Dewchurch. Further information available at: www.isc.co.uk
The hamlet of Carey has a well-respected and popular country inn and restaurant (The Cottage of Content) which is within easy walking distance. The 4 star Holme Lacy House Hotel & Leisure Club is about 4 miles away. The neighbouring villages of Hoarwithy & Fownhope provide a variety of local facilities including a school, post office/store, medical centre, Wye Leisure Centre and good dining pubs. Ross-on-Wye & Hereford provide a wider range of amenities to meet most day-to-day requirements.
More information from this agent
To view this media, please visit the on-line version of this page at www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-59513789.html
Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) graphs
Map & Street View
Street View is unavailable in this location
Disclaimer - Property reference HFD120071. The information displayed about this property comprises a property advertisement. Rightmove.co.uk makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the advertisement or any linked or associated information, and Rightmove has no control over the content. This property advertisement does not constitute property particulars. The information is provided and maintained by Grant & Co, Ledbury. Please contact the selling agent or developer directly to obtain any information which may be available under the terms of The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007 or the Home Report if in relation to a residential property in Scotland.
Map data ©OpenStreetMap contributors.